Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I’m running out of superlatives for NTTD’s performance in the U.K.  During a pandemic and doing these kind of numbers is one of the biggest box office stories of the last ten years, easily. 

My local Everyman cinema has already sold out the 7:30pm shows for all of next weekend, and the afternoon shows for Saturday and Sunday. All post 4pm shows Monday through Thursday this week are sold out too. 

It kind of highlights to me where the major chains are going wrong in their refurbs. I feel like the major chains need to invest in more recliner or comfortable seating in their cinemas rather than crap like ScreenX. Having a smaller number of seats that are filled more frequently would make more sense to me than banking on only filing the screen for a mega blockbuster. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 2

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

My local Everyman cinema has already sold out the 7:30pm shows for all of next weekend, and the afternoon shows for Saturday and Sunday. All post 4pm shows Monday through Thursday this week are sold out too 

Don’t forget though, some of our American friends on the main thread think people aren’t fussed about the movie and it needs a do-over. Lol

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

My local Everyman cinema has already sold out the 7:30pm shows for all of next weekend, and the afternoon shows for Saturday and Sunday. All post 4pm shows Monday through Thursday this week are sold out too. 

It kind of highlights to me where the major chains are going wrong in their refurbs. I feel like the major chains need to invest in more recliner or comfortable seating in their cinemas rather than crap like ScreenX. Having a smaller number of seats that are filled more frequently would make more sense to me than banking on only filing the screen for a mega blockbuster. 

Yep, fully agree. They need to focus on comfort and convenience to tempt people away from their sofas. IMAX and Dolby have cornered the “big screen” market, but the chains should be trying to go for what Alamo Drafthouse and Everyman are doing in terms of the comfortable recliners or sofa seats with table service. Cineworld’s VIP section is half way to getting it right, but they need to considerably improve the food selection and put 4K Dolby Vision projectors with Dolby Atmos in those screens. The one I used to work at had atrocious picture and sound in their VIP screens (literally two amps for the sound…).

4 hours ago, Rainy said:

So it seems to be at around 53 million pounds already right? Where do you all think it'll end up as it finishes its run?

I think it could end up around £85-90M ($116 - $122.9M with current exchange rates), I think we'll have a better idea when we see how it holds up against competition next weekend seeing as we have a film for everyone opening next weekend with Venom 2, Halloween Kills, The Last Duel AND Ron's Gone Wrong.

Also worth noting, if it does reach even the low end of that prediction it's looking at 4.04x multiplier from its true FSS which is impressive for such a large opener especially during a Pandemic.

Edited by Mike Hunt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yep, fully agree. They need to focus on comfort and convenience to tempt people away from their sofas. IMAX and Dolby have cornered the “big screen” market, but the chains should be trying to go for what Alamo Drafthouse and Everyman are doing in terms of the comfortable recliners or sofa seats with table service. Cineworld’s VIP section is half way to getting it right, but they need to considerably improve the food selection and put 4K Dolby Vision projectors with Dolby Atmos in those screens. The one I used to work at had atrocious picture and sound in their VIP screens (literally two amps for the sound…).

I think Cineworld's VIP option has gone down the wrong road personally. Because it's so expensive it's only really worth having during busy periods. At least with converting a regular screen to recliners and charging a small premium you can use that a lot, especially for adult skewing titles. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wildphantom said:

@SchumacherFTW I’ve said this before, but I frequent Everyman now…and there’s no going back. 
The overall quality of the experience is on its own.  No wonder they’re doing so well. 

I went to the one in Chelsea to see NTTD and it was such a lovely experience, it is more expensive but it was worth it to pay a bit more for comfort and excellent picture quality than a sub par experience in a multiplex. 

I am surprised they haven't still opened a cinema in the West End, I reckon they could do wonders to either the Odeon Covent Garden or Empire Haymarket,

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Have to say, I went to the one in Chelsea to see NTTD and it was such a lovely experience, it is more expensive but it was worth it to pay a bit more for comfort and excellent picture quality than a sub par experience in a multiplex. 

they use laser projection in every screen. It’s almost a shock after frequenting multiplexes to see a bright picture! 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I went to the one in Chelsea to see NTTD and it was such a lovely experience, it is more expensive but it was worth it to pay a bit more for comfort and excellent picture quality than a sub par experience in a multiplex. 

I am surprised they haven't still opened a cinema in the West End, I reckon they could do wonders to either the Odeon Covent Garden or Empire Haymarket,

I'd guess its more running up against the Odeon Luxe in Haymarket, or the Picturehouse on shaftesbury avenue. Kinda crazy that NTTD is already the chain's biggest movie after 10 days though, they've been selling out like crazy here for both the ones I have within 10 miles. 

49 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'd guess its more running up against the Odeon Luxe in Haymarket, or the Picturehouse on shaftesbury avenue. Kinda crazy that NTTD is already the chain's biggest movie after 10 days though, they've been selling out like crazy here for both the ones I have within 10 miles. 

I think there is a market for Everyman in Central London and certainly the West End is unique in the fact you have cinemas within close proximity of each other. 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think there is a market for Everyman in Central London and certainly the West End is unique in the fact you have cinemas within close proximity of each other. 

There’s an Everyman near Kings Cross, I saw The Irishman there and those sofas definitely helped with the 3.5 hour running time!