Alli

2020 - 1B movies

2020 - 1B movies  

128 members have voted

1. 1. 2020 - 1B movies

The Eternals is likely to make “disappointing” numbers; good money but not past a billion. Black Panther and Captain Marvel had the privilege of being connected and released within the vicinity of an Avengers movie. The Eternals won’t have that type of luxury. Also, there still are a handful of countries with strict LGBTQ laws.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

On 11/2/2019 at 5:03 PM, Alli said:

Crazy Rich Asians bombed in China. Not saying Mulan will bomb, but i don't think it will make the crazy numbers i see thrown around

Thank you and its not just CRA granted it was in a different market place but Crouching Tiger did most of its business in NA with indifference in East Asian markets.   From what I seen in the trailers it looks like any number of mainland Chinese movies.   Even domestic the numbers getting thrown around are kind of crazy.  It was behind domestically BatB, Lion King, Aladdin, Pocahontas and closer to the Hunchback and Hercules.  

24 minutes ago, aladdino said:

how? the original isnt one of the disney greats (BaTb, aladdin and lion king are MUCH more known/iconic)

That’s literally what I’m saying

Its gonna surprise several people here when it fails to hit a billion. If Aladdin could only get past the $1B landmark and nothing more, despite being in the same league as Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King in the Renaissance, then I fail to see how Mulan could reach or surpass it. It doesn’t even have the musical aspect to it, nor Mushu, the lack of both won’t destroy its chances but it could lower it down. 

Edited by JGAR4LIFE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

If Aladdin could only get past the $1B landmark and nothing more, despite being in the same league as Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King in the Renaissance, then I fail to see how Mulan could reach or surpass it.

Well Aladdin could have made a lot more, Iger stacked 2019 with all his biggest movies and sabotaged Ritchie. But it also means that in the relatively empty 2020, Mulan will benefit from the undivided power of Disney marketing and will reach its full potential at the box office.

Edited by MrGlass2

I think NTTD has as good of a shot at 1 billion as WW84 & Black Widow. Never underestimate Bond’s overseas appeal, especially in Western Europe. Spectre underperformed, in part, because of the critical/audience consensus but had the USD exchange rate been as strong in November 2015 as it was in Spring/Summer then Spectre would have probably equaled Skyfall overseas. Spectre even outperformed Skyfall in some foreign markets. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed but it’s not as much of a long shot as many think.

To put it another way, I don’t see NTTD doing less than Spectre in almost any overseas market. Five years of anticipation, a strong dollar and general inflation could give NTTD the 1 or 2 spot for biggest overseas gross in 2020.

My estimate: 275/900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Joker proved movies could make 1B w/o China. I think that BW won't need much from China to pass the mark. NTTD possibly too. Bond is huge in Europe and it's gonna make over 100M from UK alone.

yeah,  Movies/stars who are big in Asia are gonna suffer