kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

True, but summer weekdays also lead to harder weekend drops. Alice managed a 2.96 non-midnight multiplier with a March opening. With 155, this needs only a 2.79 to hit 400 million.

True true.Its all just so exciting, bring on the numbers to come!!

Well one can say"Hunger games had so much hype of course it is going to gross big"However its in 2D and still getting record numbers and huge numbers even compared to the great "legendary" openers.Also my theater had a 5th sellout tonight...Sellouts going to well past 10Pm tonight...

Heard this, but I question how much depth it adds to the audience so late in the run. But you can imagine rewatch biz.

Well Good Friday is only 13 days from now and if I'm not mistaken, most schools have the break the week before Easter. This will still be doing big numbers by then.
  • Like 1

I think that's because 2010 and 2011 were such shitty years everybody started setting expectations lower to not be as disappointed.

Yeah. I think I made a post regarding this a few months back. In terms of ticket sales, 2010 and 2011 were TERRIBLE. The perception is that the big films would still perform well, but small films were struggling. However, I pointed out that if we compare 2010 and 2011's top 30 grossers with other years, we see more consistency in gross and attendance the lower we get, and its the top films that were hit the hardest. For that reason, I said it should be expected that if the market does indeed rebound, we'd see an explosion of a whole bunch of massive grossers, not just because of pent up demand in the audience, but also simply because we've had several years of inflation between the recession, but no big films have capitalized on it. Edited by spizzer

Well Good Friday is only 13 days from now and if I'm not mistaken, most schools have the break the week before Easter. This will still be doing big numbers by then.

You're absolutely right. Lionsgate undoubtedly had this in mind when they set their date. I agree it's very underrated for both the midweek and weekend, and quite strategically timed.

Small movies are struggling this year, though. We've seen at least one good opening every weekend so far this year, but less profiled movies aren't being given a chance. Look at the arthouse this year, we don't even have a Jane Eyre or a Win Win yet.

Small movies are struggling this year, though. We've seen at least one good opening every weekend so far this year, but less profiled movies aren't being given a chance. Look at the arthouse this year, we don't even have a Jane Eyre or a Win Win yet.

Hard to make that conclusion while being only 2.5 months in. And I wasn't talking about this year, I said it was 2010 and 2011 when the lower you went down on the top grossers list, the more consistent the grosses looked from year-to-year.

Maybe there just hasn't been one that's good enough to catch on. I haven't heard any raves for indie movies yet this year.

Maybe there just hasn't been one that's good enough to catch on. I haven't heard any raves for indie movies yet this year.

Not really this year, but the Descendants had a pretty good run since January.

Also to the person who is attacking people for calling the Hunger Games one of the most impressive openers. You have to have perspective.To people who have been following the box office since 2000, its one of many big openers. To people looking back in the past 4-5 years, its one of the best openings ever...Some of us remember the day when Spiderman 1 had a 114 million opening.To many on the board thier interests in films/box office started only in the past few years.