Eric Burnett

IF | May 17, 2024 | Paramount | John Krasinski directs, writes and stars | Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carell are here too

Still not sure what to think of this. It could go either way. Could be a surprise heartfelt joy or it could be a cloy uninspired mess that misses the mark completely. Hopefully one of the Kraz/Blunt family has a good month at least.

Not gonna lie I am getting a little worried about this. But as a resident of British Columbia, I cannot speak negative of anything Ryan Reynolds lest I be banned from my homeland. 

By the way the twist of this movie is going to be that Ryan Reynolds was an imaginary friend the whole time. They’ll have it be a shocking reveal, but it will be obvious to anybody over the age of 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

By the way the twist of this movie is going to be that Ryan Reynolds was an imaginary friend the whole time. They’ll have it be a shocking reveal, but it will be obvious to anybody over the age of 10.

The twist is, the Ryan Reynolds imaginary friend was a kid imagining what he would be like as a grown up, and then Ryan meets himself.

note: this is not the actual twist

OR

The Ryan Reynolds imaginary friend was a kid imagining his dad, who DIED.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, WebSurfer said:

Well, they have been successfully shoving this down our throats for the past few months…

The trailers don’t look all that great.

I still haven't watched any of them.

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We're over a month removed from the last kids movie so I definitely think that will help this on opening weekend

It will help, but animated is an easier sell to kids than live action.  You use live action when you want to appeal to an older crew more (see the recent Ghostbusters).  So, we'll see how this does.  

It feels like Pokemon (aka Detective Pikachu) without the Pokemon...maybe that helps, but maybe it doesn't...

I'm not as optimistic as the Twitter post...