Eric S'ennui

IF | May 17, 2024 | Paramount | John Krasinski directs, writes and stars | Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carell are here too

58 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Get Out?

Peele fits this description more than Krasinski for me.

Sure, but Peele’s really only stuck to horror.

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

This is an inauspicious reaction, he's usually pretty forgiving

Germain is inconsistent. He likes a lot of stuff but he also really didn’t like the Super Mario Bros Movie. So you never know.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

This is an inauspicious reaction, he's usually pretty forgiving

couldn’t disagree more with everything negative he said. His criticism is half the reason why the film feels as refreshing as it does. It doesn’t get distracted by the farce around it, and doubles down on the central theme and main character.  It feels throwback, rather than the modern crash bang wallop way it would normally be done these days. 

• Like 2

It’s interesting to me that ‘throwback’ has become a universally accepted compliment. Because the film does look like a throwback to something the might have come out a couple of decades ago… but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have looked boring then too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

It’s interesting to me that ‘throwback’ has become a universally accepted compliment. Because the film does look like a throwback to something the might have come out a couple of decades ago… but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have looked boring then too.

that’s fair. 
Put it this way. Krasinski has aped how Spielberg would have approached this film. So if that’s your wheelhouse you’re going to have a great time and feel relieved there’s still filmmakers out there that can instill a level of quality into their family films.

If you like a faster paced, Easter egg filled special effects approach to what this looks like, then it’s not really that and you’ll be faced with pathos, depth etc - all those ingredients the attention deficit generation struggle with. 

Definitely gonna be interesting what the Cinemascore is for this. If families aren't on its wavelength it likely is gonna be crushed when Garfield comes out.

Whatever happens I appreciate that Krasinski was able to get the kind of latitude with his concept that he was. I'm sure being able to get a laundry list of celebrity voices helped.

• Like 1

Are families even interested in this?  IDK. Just zero buzz around this movie and I can see families saving their money for Garfield next weekend

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welp, fortunately he's got the sound-sensitive aliens to fall back on

Glad I resisted getting too excited by the junketeers last week but still a bummer it looks like this is a miss, guess we're still waiting for our original content savior.

Edited by AniNate