kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

This movie is making BO history ... In March! Lol how epic is that! Lol. :). I wonder what would have happened if this opened in the summer now.

This will be talked about for many many years

Yeah. The year so far in general and THG in particular makes me believe that we will be seeing some ridiculous opening this summer.

I hope The Avengers is one of them

Isn't THG's audience much older? That's what is more impressive to me. When I think of big Saturdays, I think of family-oriented stuff like Shrek or Spidey. I saw SM3 on Friday afternoon the day it came out, and the audience was loaded with kids under the age of 10. I figure Saturday was probably even more loaded with little kids. For something like THG that doesn't inherently appeal to kids to make this kind of cash on a Saturday is awesome.

Yes, families are a key component of huge Saturday performances. The top 6 adjusted Saturdays consist of two Spidey films, two Shrek films, DMC, and TDK. TDK is the only one that neccesarily didn't have a huge kid factor helping it out. We'll have to see what the demographic breakdown on this in the BOM weekend report.

The ''movies can open huge in March!'' idea has been around for a long time. Even before Ice Age 2. What Hunger Games confirms is that it doesn't matter when you release it, they will come if they want to see it. I believe that every weekend in the calendar year, except the weekend after labor day and super bowl weekend, can house a record-breaking opening. Just depends on the movie and the narketing campaign.

• Like 2

Lionsgate exec: How are the theaters in the capitol?

Informant: All sold out sir.

Lionsgate exec: How about from the districts?

Informant: We don't have theaters there sir. You might want to construct some. But you need to feed the people first.

Posted Image

Updated:

Informant: It has made 50 M on Saturday sir.

Lionsgate exec: What's the Saturday record?

Informant: 51.3 M, SPIDER-MAN lll sir.

Lionsgate exec: We need to fudge this.

Don't get too pumped though. TDKR is likely the only thing this year to top this OW. Even TA is a longshot now to beat it.

If this baby hits 155-160 mill i can live with slightly under

Well, how do you define kids? It is a YA novel, after all, aimed at tweens and teens.

I'm talking 6-8 year olds. I saw one group that had a middle-aged lady and about 30 little kids. That experience directly impacted my view on TDK when everyone started throwing around insane predictions for it. Didn't think it could appeal to enough kids under 10 to challenge SM3. Likewise with THG. I haven't read it or seen it, but the premise definitely doesn't seem made for kids under 10.

Updated:Informant: It has made 50 M on Saturday sir.Lionsgate exec: What's the Saturday record?Informant: 51.3 M, SPIDER-MAN lll sir.Lionsgate exec: We need to fudge this.

:lol: :lol: