TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I know in the Snyder era the claims got to ridiculous levels... like Disney cabal of paid critics level ridiculous, but that isn't to say some biases didn't exist. The weaker MCU fare got off lighter because they were being contrasted with the DC fare. On a subconscious level, it did seem like a group of RT critics, especially ones belonging to the geek outlets, took a side and it was not DC's side.

Now that Marvel doesn't really have a real competitor and has cemented its top dog status, people are being harsher towards it. Which... is actually fair and does not warrant doom and gloom but BOT will be BOT.

Those lower MCU reviews are also matching with the audiences though - before Eternals, the only MCU film below A- was Thor at B+. It now has Eternals, DS2 and Thor4 added to the collection, two of them getting a flat B to boot (of which the MCU had none before). The films that got a pass from critics (NWH, BW and BP2 DOM) also got one from the audiences. I really do not understand what the claims are here. If you really want to blame something, blame burnout, atleast that one would hit audiences as well.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Love & Thunder made near 120M more than The Dark World (and without China or Russia), bursting your bubble of 'audiences rejecting the MCU large scale'

But Ragnarok is the direct sequel not Dark World.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

I really don’t get that reviewer score. It was fine, not as good as first IMO and mostly forgettable 

It's saying 87% of critics liked it, not that the movie was an 8.7 out of 10. So every reviewer could have given this a 5-6 out of 10 and that is still considered positive.

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I think critics are grading blockbusters harder than they used

2022:

Avatar 2 was better than Avatar 1 yet had worse reviews across the board

The Batman was one of the best CBM's ever and had an 85% on RT 

All MCU films had average/bad reviews

JWD was essentially the same thing as Fallen kingdom and had much worse reviews on RT and MC

o·pin·ion
/əˈpiny(ə)n/
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Honestly I don't get those complaints, they criticize this movie for the same things that were consistently present in most MCU productions, but for whatever reason it was amazing for them just few years ago and now it's not? Did they just wake up from mass hypnosis?

Sometimes what was considered strong and appealing then could be uninteresting and tired years later. It's not unheard of to be into a movie style and then feel it's gotten worse or lost its charms.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Another rotten turd for the MCU. This franchise is dying fast.

This is an overreaction. Marvel is so much more than movies. Spider-man is the one of the biggest IPs in the world, they have a popular ride at Disney world and Avengers campus at Disneyland. Something with that big of a fanbase worldwide doesn't just disappear because of shit movies 

lol I didn't realize AntMan2's RT score was 87%. I am looking at some of these earlier MCU movies RT scores and these numbers are weird. IW at 84% but AntMan2 at 87% is so baffling...it feels like whenever MCU tries to take some swings, it seems to mostly negatively affect its RT score. Still surprising to see IW at just 84% when there are like 15 MCU movies with higher rating than that

• Like 2

I think a bit "better than previous film but worse score" can be acredited to that they like it better now than what they like the last one now. That does not mean that they did not like the previous one better when it was released. That certainly seems the case with Avatar.

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Those lower MCU reviews are also matching with the audiences though - before Eternals, the only MCU film below A- was Thor at B+. It now has Eternals, DS2 and Thor4 added to the collection, two of them getting a flat B to boot (of which the MCU had none before). The films that got a pass from critics (NWH, BW and BP2 DOM) also got one from the audiences. I really do not understand what the claims are here. If you really want to blame something, blame burnout, atleast that one would hit audiences as well.

DS2 and Thor4 were watched by way more ppl than the Ant-Man films, Thor 2, IM2, TIH etc. Phase 1 and 2 and the smaller Phase 3 fare like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange had smaller audiences primarily driven by hardcore fanboys who were a bit more forgiving. B+/B is not a stark difference from A- lmao

Edited by Spidey Freak

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I think Eternals is currently the only MCU movie to get a flat B on Cinemascore. MoM and L&T both received a B+.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

lol I didn't realize AntMan2's RT score was 87%. I am looking at some of these earlier MCU movies RT scores and these numbers are weird. IW at 84% but AntMan2 at 87% is so baffling...it feels like whenever MCU tries to take some swings, it seems to mostly negatively affect its RT score. Still surprising to see IW at just 84% when there are like 15 MCU movies with higher rating than that

IW rating seems to have dropped over the past few years due to added reviews. When AM2 had come out, it was still sitting comfortably in the low 90s and above AMatW to my recollection.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

MCU is in legitimate trouble going forward. There is a clear lack of vision at this point and it’s happening right when WB seem to finally be getting a hold on what to do with DCU. That’s a dangerous combination for Disney. 

Gunns plans don't begin until 2025. And Marvels next film after this is Guardians 3. They're gonna be fine, even if people only focus on the negatives and ignore the positives. The Specials have both been very popular, the series as a whole are positive, and aside from Eternals and *maybe* Quantumania the movies have done mostly positively critically, even if not as high as Endgame.

Plus this year...they got the X-Men.

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

IW rating seems to have dropped over the past few years due to added reviews. When AM2 had come out, it was still sitting comfortably in the low 90s and above AMatW to my recollection.

No. IW was actually around 83 or 84 percent on RT when Ant-Man 2 came out. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

DS2 and Thor4 were watched by way more ppl than the Ant-Man films, Thor 2, IM2, TIH etc. Phase 1 and 2 and the smaller Phase 3 fare like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange had smaller audiences primarily driven by hardcore fanboys who were a bit more forgiving. B/B- is not a stark difference from A- lmao

Thor2 and thor4 admits really are not that different. If anything the MCU films getting more frontloaded is a sign of losing some degree of grip on the GA which would work against your argument.

Saying that B (or even B-, which I didn't even mention?) and A- CS aren't much different means little understanding of cinemascore. An absolute, complete and utter turd like Morbius still does not go below C+.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

No. IW was actually around 83 or 84 percent on RT when Ant-Man 2 came out. 

Okay, I guess I didn't check the IW rating around July 2018. But it still has 44 additional reviews and the difference is only of 2% 🤷‍♂️

It does highlight the fact that when it comes to the MCU, more critics reviewing/audiences watching does open the possibility of lower RTs and audience scores regardless of actual movie quality ranking.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/box-office-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-opening-projection-1235259534/

Early tracking four weeks ago indicated $120M in U.S./Canada over 4-days for the Presidents Day holiday. Disney is hoping for at least $95M over 3-days, $105M-$110M over four at 4,300 theaters — nonetheless a franchise record start and a great 25% surge from the 3-day opning of 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp‘s $75.8M. As is standard, there are no other frosh wide releases from rival studios. With the Peyton Reed-directed threequel starting its offshore start on Wednesday, overseas is around $160M for a global start of $280M (that includes $35M-$55M from China). Tracking remains slightly unpredictable for big films even as the pandemic has eased, however, with Jonathan Majors new mega-MCU villain Kang the Conqueror making his big screen debut after his variant’s introduction in the Marvel/Disney+ series Loki, that could truly create a stampede of walk-up business this coming weekend. Currently, domestic advance ticket sales for Ant-Man 3 is tracking 15% behind Thor: Love and Thunder which opened to $144.1M over 3-days. Natch, Disney has all the Imax (400 auditoriums), PLF (~900), Dbox (280) and 3D screens (2,500).

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1