TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

But they bombed because of promotion like this, where they tried to hide it being a musical. People went into Mean Girls having no idea it was an adaptation of the stage version and not just a remake of the movie!

Cats, Dear Evan Hanson, In the Heights (sneakily massive budget), West Side Story (not so sneaky), are presumably what started that move and Color Purple didn't exactly hide its music (even while not fully showcasing it). 

I think this is an overreaction to somewhat bad bets on what audiences were looking for and unlucky sequencing (e.g. if color purple comes out in 2014 and Les Mis in 2022/3 you get a massively different narrative) but people lost a lot of money on these films. 

There's a real "ugh, musicals are GROSS" reaction you can find people voicing but I think it's the sort of problem that polling exaggerates because people know when they like something. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's reasonable that they want this to stay in Drama (where the first movie competed) and not go to the Musical/Comedy category at the Golden Globes. They've recently been rejecting biopics or dramas that happen to have a high amount of musical amount of musical numbers (like Gaga's very own ASIB) from competing in that category unless they really go all in on the flashy production numbers ala Rocketman, before they would have no problem with things like Ray or Phoenix's own Walk the Line (which actually won Picture!) under that designation.

The Golden Globes don't consider movies "musicals" anymore just because they feature a lot of singing. If the movie's about singers but the characters just sing in concerts, recording sessions, rehearsals, etc., it goes Drama. They still say movies where characters randomly break out into song and have multiple fantasy singing/dance sequences, are musicals. And the Globes do overrule campaigns sometimes, unlike other awards shows.

13 hours ago, TomThomas said:

I believe you overthink Phillips' or Sher's words about this not being a musical. What I gather is it's not a straightforward musical Les Misarebles and La La Land are, and they obviously don't want to alienate their audience too much. Yeah, Joaquin and Gaga sing from time to time, but they also have plenty of normal conversations and supporting characters and extras don't randomly break into dancing and singing, I think that's what he means.

A fan of the genre would never say La La Land and Les Misérables had many similarities as musicals. One has a large ensemble, is all singing and considered very vocally demanding. The other has a small cast and was criticized by musical fans for having weak vocals and not enough numbers.

Chicago features a deluded criminal who spends most of the movie incarcerated, seeing her circumstances as song filled numbers with costumes, singing and dancing. It's a musical, but also a dark comedy. Folie à Deux seems to be more dramatic leaning, but the wheel is not being reinvented here.

9 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

Having CGI in a movie is in no way similar to your characters breaking our with a dance half way through a scene with the entire cast joining in. We overlook CGI when there are believable characters. 

I dont see the big deal, some people don't like CBM's, some dont like comedies, some don't rom coms and some don't like musicals. I wouldn't assume someone is just top scared if they told me they dislike horror movies

Of course CGI-heavy action movies and musicals (generally) aren't the same. It’s just that some film artiface is readily accepted: film scores, showy lighting, human characters with unexplained bulletproof skin, a script where all characters use the same rapid-fire dialogue, the three act structure, stylized fight choreography. People can like what they like, it's just funny to me that musicals get trashed as uniquely unrealistic when so many other genres are, too.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

A musical where the people involved seem actively ashamed of calling it a musical is an ENORMOUS red flag

Not so sure it is a red flag as they are afraid of alienating the core CBM constituency whom they assume hate musicals.

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Cats, Dear Evan Hanson, In the Heights (sneakily massive budget), West Side Story (not so sneaky), are presumably what started that move and Color Purple didn't exactly hide its music (even while not fully showcasing it). 

I think this is an overreaction to somewhat bad bets on what audiences were looking for and unlucky sequencing (e.g. if color purple comes out in 2014 and Les Mis in 2022/3 you get a massively different narrative) but people lost a lot of money on these films. 

There's a real "ugh, musicals are GROSS" reaction you can find people voicing but I think it's the sort of problem that polling exaggerates because people know when they like something. 

ANyway, trying to sell a movie as something other then what it is almost never works. "Bait and Switch" does not work with movies.

I am sadden by the discussion of musicals here isjust about the recent ones, while prety sure the ones that Phillips will be homaging are the classic MGM musicals of the 40's and 50's. Lady Gaga doing the Judy Garland classic "Get Happy" in the second trailer sort of hints at that.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

But they bombed because of promotion like this, where they tried to hide it being a musical. People went into Mean Girls having no idea it was an adaptation of the stage version and not just a remake of the movie!

Well, to be fair despite it;s sucess Mean Girgls was not a great musical. Only really good song was "Alpha Predator".

Not that i might have mattered, "West Side Story" is one of the greatest stage muscials every written, and the film version of that bombed, sadly.

• Like 1

More praise from Barbera:

"If you expect just a second part of the previous one, exactly the same kind of narrative and situation and so on, you are wrong, because the theme is much darker," he told Vanity Fair in a recent interview. "It is much more inventive from every point of view. It's completely unexpected. I think it is very bold, and brave, and creative, and an incredibly original film."

• Like 1

I dont know if this movie will hit hard but it was smart of Gaga to release this song leading to the movie's release. It's turning into a legit SMASH. It could very well be a Joker OST song, even though I know it's not. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

I fully expect reviews to mirror the first one's with the same annoying discourse. Foreign critics reviews will be glowing, a bunch of american critics reviews will be glowing as well because the first one still had its champions like Variety's Owen Gleiberman, but lots of others will be extremely negative with some bullshit accusations and think pieces. Expecting high 80s-low 90s final RT and 80s metacritic here would be silly, unless it somehow appeals to those who really hated the first one to the point of strong bias, which I don't see happening no matter what it does, Joaquin's recent controversy probably won't help either. Thankfully it's not going to Toronto, so as long as initial Venice reviews keep it above 80s until release, just like the first one's, it should be enough to not hurt it, post-release reviews won't matter if the film is strong enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

I dont know if this movie will hit hard but it was smart of Gaga to release this song leading to the movie's release. It's turning into a legit SMASH. It could very well be a Joker OST song, even though I know it's not. 

Wait, what? I totally thought it was! I know she said it's not for LG7 and the title/theme of the song fit perfectly for Joker 2. I really assumed it was for the film. Either way this is brilliant cross promotion on her part. 

3 hours ago, TomThomas said:

More praise from Barbera:

"If you expect just a second part of the previous one, exactly the same kind of narrative and situation and so on, you are wrong, because the theme is much darker," he told Vanity Fair in a recent interview. "It is much more inventive from every point of view. It's completely unexpected. I think it is very bold, and brave, and creative, and an incredibly original film."

Which might upset some of the more heavy duty CBM fans.

Same old story I am afraid, people say they want a fresh, new approach to somethng, but if you give it to them they get upset.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

I fully expect reviews to mirror the first one's with the same annoying discourse. Foreign critics reviews will be glowing, a bunch of american critics reviews will be glowing as well because the first one still had its champions like Variety's Owen Gleiberman, but lots of others will be extremely negative with some bullshit accusations and think pieces. Expecting high 80s-low 90s final RT and 80s metacritic here would be silly, unless it somehow appeals to those who really hated the first one to the point of strong bias, which I don't see happening no matter what it does, Joaquin's recent controversy probably won't help either. Thankfully it's not going to Toronto, so as long as initial Venice reviews keep it above 80s until release, just like the first one's, it should be enough to not hurt it, post-release reviews won't matter if the film is strong enough.

I honestly think the Musical angle is the big unknown here.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Which might upset some of the more heavy duty CBM fans.

Same old story I am afraid, people say they want a fresh, new approach to somethng, but if you give it to them they get upset.

The opinion of comic book nerds should never be taken into account.  

• Like 3