Best Documentary

Winner: American Factory

Runner-Up: Apollo 11

Best Foreign-Language Film

Winner: Pain and Glory

Runner-Up: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Edited by SLAM!
  • Astonished 1

i'm not gonna say antonio banderas wins the oscar but i could see him winning the globe like isabelle huppert did for Elle to compare it to another foreign language performance a couple years ago. that could give him momentum idk. i certainly preferred his performance to both driver and phoenix (now watch him not even get nominated for the globe 2morrow)

• Like 1

Philadelphia Film Critics Circle winners:

Spoiler

Best Picture

Winner: Knives Out

Runner-Up: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Director

Winner: Scorsese

Runner-Up: Tarantino

Best Actress

Winner: N'Yongo

Runner-Up: Ronan

Best Actor

Winner: Driver

Runner-Up: Murphy

Best Supporting Actor

Winner: Pesci

Runner-Up: Pitt

Best Supporting Actress

Winner: Pugh

Runner-Up: Lopez

Best Animated Film

Winner: Toy Story 4

Runner-Up: Frozen 2

Best Foreign Film

Winner: Parasite

Runner-Up: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Best Documentary

Winner: Apollo 11

Runner-Up: The Kingmaker

Best Cinematography

Winner: The Lighthouse

Runner-Up: 1917

Breakthrough Performance

Winner: Pugh (for Little Women)

Runner-Up: McKenzie

Directorial Debut

Winner: Joe Talbot (Last Black Man in San Francisco)

Runner-Up: Olivia Wilde (Booksmart)

Script

Winner: Knives Out

Runner-Up: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Soundtrack

Winner: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Runner-Up: Us

Elaine May Award

Harriet, for "a deserving person or film that brings awareness to women's issues"

Steve Friedman Award

Joker, for "a person or film that drives major public discourse on a topic or issue"

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm not gonna say antonio banderas wins the oscar but i could see him winning the globe like isabelle huppert did for Elle to compare it to another foreign language performance a couple years ago. that could give him momentum idk. i certainly preferred his performance to both driver and phoenix (now watch him not even get nominated for the globe 2morrow)

I'm confident Joker will do well with the globes, watch it becoming an upset for drama over the irishman for a win (ala BR last year)

31 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the BoRhap/Joker comparisons i've seen people making feels like a lazy comparison to me. they're entirely different projects. what's the similarity just that they're popular? they don't always give the golden globe to the biggest film.

It's also the Metacritic score not being "good enough" for an award-winning film. The comparisons are lazy and ignore that Joker is divisive critically with some reviewers utterly hating it, but it also got many 100 scores and the Golden Lion. Meanwhile, the divide on BoRhap was about its popularity with audiences/guild voters despite critics, at best, finding it pleasant/mediocre with a good lead performance. But I guess both sorts of reception can inspire passion during awards season, in one way or another. Joker has enough detractors not to show up with all the critics' circles and the predictors don't feel totally secure in how it will fare with Oscar, which also happened to BoRhap, even if the particular details for each are largely different.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

I hope Phoenix gets snubbed so the Joker stans have a meltdown. They’ve conditioned themselves into thinking he will be getting all the awards, like it’s a sure thing.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I hope Phoenix gets snubbed so the Joker stans have a meltdown. They’ve conditioned themselves into thinking he will be getting all the awards, like it’s a sure thing.

I wouldn't mind a Joaquin Phoenix snub; it's not that he doesn't deserve to win, but I feel like an Oscar win can sometimes harm an actor's career, and I don't want that to happen to a favorite of mine. Alicia Vikander is in danger of losing her star status already.

Edited by SLAM!
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

i don't think he'll get snubbed but it is annoying how the "only watches blockbusters" crowd thinks he's entitled to every prize. like someone in another thread was bitching about bias because he wasn't in TIME's top 10 performances of the year list. i thought he was good but probably not in my top 10 either.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think he'll get snubbed but it is annoying how the "only watches blockbusters" crowd thinks he's entitled to every prize. like someone in another thread was bitching about bias because he wasn't in TIME's top 10 performances of the year list. i thought he was good but probably not in my top 10 either.

So if he was in your top 10 performances of the year,  you wouldn’t find those bitching about his snubs annoying ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

So if he was in your top 10 performances of the year,  you wouldn’t find those bitching about his snubs annoying ?

no it'd still be annoying. parasite is in my top 3 of the year and you bitching about it not winning stuff earlier in the thread was very annoying.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no it'd still be annoying. parasite is in my top 3 of the year and you bitching about it not winning stuff earlier in the thread was very annoying.

So what was the point of downplaying his performance 

Edited by RealLyre

Just now, RealLyre said:

So what was the point of downplaying his performance 

lol i didn't downplay it i said he was good. i'm just saying it's not some total agreed upon locked down fact that it's the best performance of the year. i don't have some weird bias against the movie, which again i thought was good, like his stans seems to think everyone in the media who doesn't suck his dick over that performance does.  you're overthinking this. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the BoRhap/Joker comparisons i've seen people making feels like a lazy comparison to me. they're entirely different projects. what's the similarity just that they're popular? they don't always give the golden globe to the biggest film.

The comp is they’re both cringeworthy bad populist picks that are carried by overrated lead performances

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2