sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

F1 had a 25% drop this weekend

Jan 10, 2014 2 $14,728,118 -25% 3,239 $4,547   $317,319,106 8

and added 5.66x this weekend to the cume.

That gives F2 33.4 more but it's not gonna follow F1's amazing trend especially with a 50% drop this weekend compared to F1's 25%.

Jan 10, 2020 8 $5,910,150 -50% 2,655 $2,226   $459,533,192 8

25 odd more for 485 (assuming an expansion) looks like a good target. Felt the movie was very forgettable a quicker than expected end to 480 won't surprise me.

Honestly if you consider how man sequels or spinoff movies do worse I think Frozen 2 kicked ass.

Toy Story 4 barely beat 3 WW 9 years later. 4.5% increase domestically.

Frozen 2 will increase 20% domestically and about 15% WW despite the original insane Japan gross and worse EVs everywhere.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

"The Big Picture" podcast among others constantly says nobody takes the Globes serious and "I don't know why we even have them.."  but clearly 1917 winning for Best Drama and Best Director made people take notice therefore I would say the GA does take them seriously. 

Both sentences aren't mutually exclusive. 

The globes can have a huge boxoffice effect and still be considered a joke. It's a big platform for the award contenders to reach general audiences (that's why it's such a big draw), both the globes and the audiences tend to choose the most popular stars / movies no matter if they're the best ones so of course it has a big effect. 

Now I would say that the Oscars can be considered a joke too considering how often it's more about campaigning and narratives than actual merit, but it does have more prestige.

But award shows in general fall into one of these 2 categories anyways.

1917’s debut being almost identical to Lone Survivor’s debut is amazing! And 1917 didn’t have a big name headlining it like Survivor did! Overall with awards season coming and since it will more likely win Best Cinematography. This should hold up excellent, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this outgrossed American Beauty’s unadjusted  domestic total. 

everything else, solid holds for Jumanji and Little Women! Uncut Gems had a harder drop but it should become Sandler’s highest grossing R-rated film unadjusted. 

New releases looked dry, Like A Boss and Underwater smelled delayed dumpage from the start. Boss was originally slated to be a summer 2019 film, and its debut is more modest than a dud.but may not break-even with P&A costs.

Underwater is where it should’ve been by Fox. Fox should be happy with their only major $100 million 2019 hit Ford V. Ferrari was nominated Best Picture. But this year isn’t looks to be a great for Fox again. Thankfully their sub partner Disney will be more be in success starting in March. Anyway Underwater will drop off faster than the speed of light.

Just Mercy’s expansión could’ve been a lot worse. WB has had some bad expansion starts like Ben Affleck’s Live By Night for example. It’s debut is a few million less than Selma five years ago. But Just Mercy should get some clemency with MLK weekend Coming up as commercials on ESPN advertise it as “the film to see on MLK weekend”

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

any of them will make more money than Birds of Prey in China

Reveal hidden contents

What about Cats? Was that never planned? 

I remember Mamma Mia 2 tanked there. 

Edited by Krissykins