Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

While I don't see this flopping, I don't see it breaking out enormously either. Thinking SC numbers DOM. Don't recall what SC did OS so no comment there.

Shang-Chi's overseas numbers were crippled by the pandemic (at least to my knowledge) so I don't know if OS could even be a good comp for it in this case.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Train said:

Both the TV shows that tie into Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion) flopped and had poor viewership numbers, proving that the first Captain Marvel left no impression and was carried by Endgame hype and 2018-2019 was the peak of the genre. The new one will do 500m-600m at best.

Someone said something similar in a different thread and I didn't want to derail, so I'm glad you brought this up here! 

As far as I know(I haven't watched SI yet) her only appearance in either(so far) is the post credit bit in the FINALE of Ms. Marvel.  Like 15 seconds!  There's no way you can honestly say that these shows flopping are because of her when she isn't even in the shows, right?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Someone said something similar in a different thread and I didn't want to derail, so I'm glad you brought this up here! 

As far as I know(I haven't watched SI yet) her only appearance in either(so far) is the post credit bit in the FINALE of Ms. Marvel.  Like 15 seconds!  There's no way you can honestly say that these shows flopping are because of her when she isn't even in the shows, right?

Audiences knew it would tie into Captain Marvel, The Marvels had already been announced for years by the time Ms. Marvel came out. Secret Invasion heavily emphasized the Skrulls in the marketing. I thought the first Captain Marvel was a fine movie, it's just obvious to me that this movie has the lowest interest for an MCU movie since...Eternals?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

This movie is going to flop. The EW motion comic cover is getting laughed at in fan circles. The costumes look like CW tv shows.

Unfortunately, we can't say for sure whether those who are at the forefront of hating Captain Marvel are disinterested in just The Marvels or whether they've lost interest in the next Avengers movies too, as we have no official information about the leads of those movies. It would've been much easier for us to predict the box office of the next Avengers movie if we'd known the status of Captain Marvel in the MCU. At present I can only assume that they've lost interest in the Avengers movies too.

Edited by Willowra

32 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is secret invasion really as bad as they say? I’ve read it be compared to the Witcher which, like, surely it’s not that awful…

It's totally fine. I think it's big issue is how safe it's actually playing things which really sucks. It lacks an "oomph" factor.

9 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Both the TV shows that tie into Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion) flopped and had poor viewership numbers, proving that the first Captain Marvel left no impression and was carried by Endgame hype and 2018-2019 was the peak of the genre. The new one will do 500m-600m at best.

But Captain Marvel didn't appear in either show so far. The literal only time she's in Ms Marvel is a post credit scene...which is literally made from a clip of this movie and not the actual show

• Like 1

I think it's clear that Marvel Studios doesn't know how to do TV. They should just burn everything they made & give a billion to the previous guy who was in charge or Greg Berlanti. Stick to movies, Kevin & co.

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Is secret invasion really as bad as they say? I’ve read it be compared to the Witcher which, like, surely it’s not that awful…

It's pretty bad through 4 episodes.  I didn't bother watching the 5th yet b/c it's not appointment tv.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

If Hunger Games ends up doing better than expected it could be a problem for this since that movie is also female targeted and will take screens away from this 

I don't really see that one beating out any of the original movies tbh

If Multiverse of Madness and Wakanda Forever couldn’t break a billion, why would The Marvels do it?

I would be happy with Love and Thunder numbers for this, so in the $700M range. 

Edited by deniima
  • Like 1