Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, Valencia said:

A $200M Young Avengers movie centering on Iron Heart, Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, Cassie Lang, Kid Loki, Wiccan, and Speed?

Sweet Jesus.

Would challenge John Carter for biggest bomb of all time lmao.

More Like FalconCap, She-Hulk, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Spider-Man. Although I'm not sure this would do much better.

Edited by DInky
  • Haha 1

Marvel does not need to go for all big threat like thanos for the next avengers movie.  

Even putting in a famous actor into a scary all powerful role would be enough for a single entry.

Jason Mamoa being some crazy villian be enough lol 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

I just wonder if the reception would improve if they used a charismatic villain like Mystique or Moonstone instead of Oh-Cee the female Ronan.

Lack of a recognizable villain is definitely a problem. You get no sense of character from her in the trailer and she's not interesting-looking. The character is so obscure that he (male in the comics) appeared in 3 issues in the early 90s. That's it.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

X-Men and F4 are the only way out of this mess for them at this point if you ask me. What are they still sitting on them for as the major sub franchises when it’s literally the reason they made one of the largest acquisitions ever half a decade ago already? The key is not screwing up how they use the IPs though.

Edited by MovieMan89

Not gonna be down on the clip as it feels like kicking a three-legged puppy at this point but I do have to wonder when marvel will finally accept that their ‘undercut every moment of possible tension with a joke’ strategy may not excite people quite the way it used to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DInky said:

What's so objectionable about the clip?

Action looks too choreographed and unnatural to me,  don't find kamala cute the way they clearly want me to, music choice is horrific.  Reminds me of that scene in the first one where they played I'm just a girl or whatever it's called.  Just doesn't fit the scene for me. 

Wow, clip is 1 minute long but it feels almost 5 minutes long...That's not good. It looks bland, the action looks cheap and generic, the tone is all over the place, the editing is mediocre. 

I would like to see a movie called "Behind the scenes for the Marvels", because the movie being advertised isn't the movie we deserve to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, clip is 1 minute long but it feels almost 5 minutes long...That's not good. It looks bland, the action looks cheap and generic, the tone is all over the place, the editing is mediocre. 

I would like to see a movie called "Behind the scenes for the Marvels", because the movie being advertised isn't the movie we deserve to see.

All pre-release clips are edited down.

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Not gonna be down on the clip as it feels like kicking a three-legged puppy at this point but I do have to wonder when marvel will finally accept that their ‘undercut every moment of possible tension with a joke’ strategy may not excite people quite the way it used to. 

Feige has to go if we want to see a drastic change in tone 

• Knock It Off 1

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What are they still sitting on them for as the major sub franchises when it’s literally the reason they made one of the largest acquisitions ever half a decade ago already?

The answer is...

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The key is not screwing up how they use the IPs though.

... part of the question here. 😉 

===

I said this earlier, maybe in another thread maybe this one, but it takes TIME for things to change.

Let's say Marvel woke up and smelt the coffee when AM3... underdelivered (which as an aside, they almost certainly did!!!).  Given the lead times for everything involved they couldn't have changed anything major yet.  Things already in the can/mostly shot aren't gonna be changed to a large degree.

Let's also say that it was Multiverse Saga (which would have been in active development before the Fox sale was legally finished) then Fantastic 4/X-Men.  Thanks to the 'rona and then the strikes, everything got scrambled delayed.  Hollywood "lost" a year at least thanks to the 'rona and probably lost at least half a year thanks to the strikes.

Said it before, and I'll say it again:  This is the downside to serialized storytelling, especially in a medium that is literally planned out years in advance.  If folks think the current story you are telling sucks, it can be a tremendous uphill battle to turn the ship around mid-telling of the current story.

This is where I do have some amount of sympathy for some of the arguments from @SpiderByte when he notes that Marvel is already changing things. 

Problem is, and to change up my metaphors again, it's much like changing/fixing an engine of a runaway train while it is barreling down the tracks at 50 miles an hour.  Relatively easy to diagnose what needs fixing in the engine.  Much much much more difficult to actually fix the engine while the train is barreling down the tracks

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Valencia said:

A $200M Young Avengers movie centering on Iron Heart, Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, Cassie Lang, Kid Loki, Wiccan, and Speed?

Sweet Jesus.

Would challenge John Carter for biggest bomb of all time lmao.

$25M seems more like the right budget for a profit expectation...thus, this should be the big streaming event...

Edited by TwoMisfits