Eric Furiosa

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

33 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

I still don't think this mattered in any substantial way, since people forget how convinced those same people were that their hate campaign would tank the original Captain Marvel. Obviously those same types are going to take The Marvels failure as confirmation bias that it's all Brie's fault, which sucks, but I think there are larger issues with the franchise as a whole that caused this.

The hate campaign might have started 2-3 months before the release of Captain Marvel, but most of the casual fans were unaware of that hate campaign, and most of the nerds were extremely hyped for Endgame, so the hate campaign didn't impact the box office at that time. But the real hate campaign for the character and actress started after the Captain Marvel movie, especially after Endgame. The main reason nerds hate her is insecurity. You could have easily felt that insecurity if you'd ever visited a Marvel Reddit sub or some CBM YouTube video related to her. But my question is: why didn't Feige do anything to reduce that insecurity and make them comfortable with her? If she is a supporting character like Hulk or Black Widow in this saga, then he should have made it clear to those nerds and should've told them that Sam, Peter, or Strange are the leads of this saga. Yes there are issues like quality & lack of direction but it  didn't impact other marvel movies like GOTG3 & Spider-verse this year & it it not going to impact upcoming DP3 & Cap4 and even Thunderbolts. The hate I believe is specific for this movie & it's lead actor & character.

46 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

I still don't think this mattered in any substantial way, since people forget how convinced those same people were that their hate campaign would tank the original Captain Marvel. Obviously those same types are going to take The Marvels failure as confirmation bias that it's all Brie's fault, which sucks, but I think there are larger issues with the franchise as a whole that caused this.

MCU brand was much more stronger then and a lot of guys who didnt really care for Captain Marvel watch the film trying to see its connection to the infinity war saga. 

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

The hate campaign might have started 2-3 months before the release of Captain Marvel, but most of the casual fans were unaware of that hate campaign, and most of the nerds were extremely hyped for Endgame, so the hate campaign didn't impact the box office at that time. But the real hate campaign for the character and actress started after the Captain Marvel movie, especially after Endgame. The main reason nerds hate her is insecurity. You could have easily felt that insecurity if you'd ever visited a Marvel Reddit sub or some CBM YouTube video related to her. But my question is: why didn't Feige do anything to reduce that insecurity and make them comfortable with her? If she is a supporting character like Hulk or Black Widow in this saga, then he should have made it clear to those nerds and should've told them that Sam, Peter, or Strange are the leads of this saga. Yes there are issues like quality & lack of direction but it  didn't impact other marvel movies like GOTG3 & Spider-verse this year & it it not going to impact upcoming DP3 & Cap4 and even Thunderbolts. The hate I believe is specific for this movie & it's lead actor & character.

The casual fans are still unaware of the hate campaign.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The casual fans are still unaware of the hate campaign.

I would say most of the casuals are aware of the hate as most of them uses Youtube, facebook twitter. But I won't say that most of the casuals are not watching this movie because of hate but its true that a large number of casuals have been influenced by hate campaign; most casuals are not interested in The Marvels because the sequel is releasing after 4.5 years & because they aren't interested in other 2 D+ characters in the movie. Except Captain Marvel all other infinity Saga characters after their last appearance in Endgame or Infinity War got a project in this Saga in around 2-3 years.

Edit: So casuals aren't interested in The Marvels because of above reasons & a large number of nerds have decided to boycott the movie. The movie is only getting support from some loyal hardcore MCU fans who aren't hostile towards the character or the actor & they aren't much in numbers, so this is struggling to cross 200m WW.

Edited by Willowra
  • ...wtf 1

Hate by Nerds isn't affecting Marvels, it looking like some uninteresting tv serial level movie is coupled with reception of recent few MCU outings. 

And Kevin Feige could've done one very basic thing that could've avoided this, and that is making Captain Marvel a charismatic, likeable character and Captain Marvel a good movie.

So what you're seeing now in terms of Marvels tracking, the seeds were sown back in 2019 itself and neither the movie, not the character turned out to be good. And on top of that the other two characters in Marvels are also not that popular.

Eventually in that case, you would need something extra to pull crowd which unfortunately for Feige & Disney, is not there to be found in this movie.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, ChipDerby said:

Disney has released one trailer for this movie. I've seen no advertising for it.

Also this forum needs new moderators. This thread is embarrassing.

what? there's at least 3 released proper "trailers" and a bunch of TV spots everywhere

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't know why people are so mad at Kang being beaten in Quantumania. He beat a Kang. But he probably can't beat every Kang.

I'm not mad, in fact to me it doesn't matter at all, film had far bigger issues. I'm just pointing out that if the goal was to establish Kang as the big threat in the mind of the GA, it failed completely.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not mad, in fact to me it doesn't matter at all, film had far bigger issues. I'm just pointing out that if the goal was to establish Kang as the big threat in the mind of the GA, it failed completely.

I dunno, people seem to like He Who Remains and Victor Timely in Loki. Hell for years the big joke about Thanos was that all he did was sit in a chair.

38 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Hate by Nerds isn't affecting Marvels, it looking like some uninteresting tv serial level movie is coupled with reception of recent few MCU outings. 

And Kevin Feige could've done one very basic thing that could've avoided this, and that is making Captain Marvel a charismatic, likeable character and Captain Marvel a good movie.

So what you're seeing now in terms of Marvels tracking, the seeds were sown back in 2019 itself and neither the movie, not the character turned out to be good. And on top of that the other two characters in Marvels are also not that popular.

Eventually in that case, you would need something extra to pull crowd which unfortunately for Feige & Disney, is not there to be found in this movie.

Hate is definitely affecting the Marvels. They showed in her first movie and then Endgame that she is stronger than Hulk or Thor, and that made her unlikeable to those insecure nerds who were invested in Thor and Hulk at that time. Plus, Feige said she would lead the MCU, and that made them even more insecure as they were invested in characters such as Doctor Strange and Spider-Man. A MCU movie can't go this low without some kind of hostility from the nerds. A solo MCU movie needs the support of nerds to make respectable numbers at the box office; this isn't getting their support, as presales indicate. The first one was average for most people, but the marvels look much better than that. I've seen a clip of the movie today, and it was very good.