Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't disagree.  But, and maybe this is age speaking as I remember a time where there was a lot more General All Ages Entertainment, I think there is a difference between Film/TV Show All Ages Can Enjoy and one Specifically Targeted To Kids.

No more, no less.

But not the thread. 🙂 

I just think that definition is just to help adults to not feel that bad for you know, enjoying a bunch of characters that use the force, use laser guns or are bitten by radioactive spiders, gain powers when they hit puberty or you know, are trillionaires that decide to "fight the crime" or something.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

^^^

I would suggest stay off this thread for your own mental health and enjoy the movie. Dont get influenced by what others are thinking/saying. 

I won't front, this might be why this thread is the wild west, cause my mental health doesn't need this tomfoolery. I mean, does it really matter if they are kids movies or not?  Do you like them? Yes or no.  Do you enjoy them? Yes or no. That's all that matters.

:sparta:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I apologize for steering the thread off topic. 

I've only been spot checking, but has it really been "on topic" much recently?

Ih5e2G.gif

Partly because there isn't much new to discuss

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I just think that definition is just to help adults to not feel that bad for you know, enjoying a bunch of characters that use the force, use laser guns or are bitten by radioactive spiders, gain powers when they hit puberty or you know, are trillionaires that decide to "fight the crime" or something.

What does it really mean to call something a "kids movie" though? I think it could either mean

a) having a subject matter that is targeted towards kids

or 

b) having, statistically, most people who watched it be kids

If you are referring to the former, I feel as though that is highly subjective. What makes the plot of "adult movies" like the Matrix movies, John Wick, Terminator, etc. any more "adult" than the plots of these "kids movies"? 

If you are referring to the latter, than most people who watch Star Wars, CBMs, Avatar etc. are indeed adults over 25. Paw Patrol is a kids movie. Avatar 2 is an all-ages movie. That's all I'll say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

They shouldn't feel bad though!  Part of the problem is this whole Market segmentation that first seeped in the 60s and 70s in the movies and then accelerated in the 80s and 90s in TV and elsewhere that the whole idea of All Ages entertainment is kinda foreign (or at least Old Fashioned).

Take the A-Team, a famous TV series from the 80s. Or Knight Rider. Would folks call those series a "kids TV series"?  Maybe they would,  but I would hope not!  But it is the exact SAME type of General Entertainment as Star Wars and the MCU and all of the other highly successful franchises of the last twenty years.

In fact, I might even go as far as to say one of the reasons they have been so successful is that they WERE one of the last vestiges of All Ages Family Entertainment where both kids and adults could find entertainment in equal measure if in different ways in a media landscape dominated by things like Bluey and Paw Patrol in one direction and Succession and Game of Thrones in the other.

Really am getting off topic here, but I think this is a semi-important point that I can't think of a better thread to put it since it cuts across so many different companies.

Anyway, if someone has a better idea of where to continue this conversation, please point me there as this really doesn't have to do with Disney or WB except in general terms. 🙂

• Like 2

We'll see what the final week brings, maybe reviews are great and Disney turns up the hype machine (or even plays the long game, trying push legs/WOM through Thanksgiving), but for now ...

Marvels feels like the MCU's Shazam 2, just left hung out to dry, the culmination of storylines and decisions made long before, and the primary goal is just to release it and put it behind them

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Guardians 3 did not not have social media reaction embargo 3 days before release. I don't know why some of you keep claiming that. That's just not true. I get that you're trying to protect The Marvels from all skepticism but let's not put falsehoods out there. 

Rolling Stone tomorrow headline: Marvel Studios Boss Keven Feige Used ‘Secret’ Fake Accounts to Troll Box Office Forum Users

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ViewerAnon said:

Don't want to post this on Twitter and cause a shit show but I'm really concerned they're still not screening the entire movie yet. Junket press only saw 30 minutes worth yesterday and today.

So, in a nutshell:

1) Social and review embargo lifting 1 day before the main release

2) Director is missing. Nia disappeared.

3) Is Kevin Feige alive? Serious question

4) Where are the writers for this movie?

5) Marketing has been awful

6) They released a clip that looks crap

7) No fan screenings to build word of mouth like what happened to GOTG 3

8 ) They're not even showing the full movie to crtics

I don't know about you guys, way too many red flags to ignore. Some people are saying Marvel wants to "protect" this movie because it has "serious" spoilers. That's a really weird hill to die on. There's a very high chance this movie sucks and it gets badly reviewed. That's reality

Add in the lack of hype and energy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

When SAG gives you lemons

I watched this for a whole minute before I realized the length of the video 

lol, all the comments on the video are hating on marvel.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I cannot say who it is but someone who is very reliable and is tracking a TC told me sub 40m is possible. But I am skeptical it will be that low unless this pulls a Quantumania(even then I am not sure). Sub 50m on the other hand looks likely based on current pace. 

4 hours ago, M37 said:

As one of the few who has been optimistic - mostly preaching patience - in the tracking thread … yeah it’s possible. Would probably take pretty bad reviews, but given data in hand would not rule out sub-$40M OW

Alonso got fired after Quantamania. Who’s up next?

23 minutes ago, M37 said:

We'll see what the final week brings, maybe reviews are great and Disney turns up the hype machine (or even plays the long game, trying push legs/WOM through Thanksgiving), but for now ...

Marvels feels like the MCU's Shazam 2, just left hung out to dry, the culmination of storylines and decisions made long before, and the primary goal is just to release it and put it behind them

This is not the right thread. But look at an optimistic scenario for Marvels in tracking thread and extrapolate OW. I am wondering what is the ceiling at this point. 

3 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The fact CM seems to have sold well on home video/digital seems weirder in retrospect. At least theatrical directly ties into an Endgame narrative.

I used to buy every marvel movie on blu ray but stopped after Black Widow cause they are all available on Disney plus now.  I dunno if there is any connection or not but if you’re on the fence for this movie and already have a subscription then why not just wait 3 or 4 months to basically see it for way less money?

Edited by eddyxx

3 hours ago, DInky said:

Despite what chuds would like people to believe, Captain Marvel was well-received. Even Infinity War and Endgame wouldn't have been able to boost Captain Marvel to over 1 billion if people genuinely disliked the movie.

But this rumored opening also suggests a complete lack of active enticement from the film which is pretty strongly missing from generic counterarguments as well. I just would have expected the post-endgame release home video (June 2019 versus Endgame's April release) sales to have been more indicative of a more normal stickiness to interest. 

I guess I'm trying to figure out to what degree this is Clash of Titans and to what degree this is creative missteps. 

Captain Marvel has a like 2.76 multiplier and that was due to Endgame helping the late legs but we're supposed to believe that the sequel is going to perform much better in that area? Even with good reviews the best case scenario is it matching or doing like a 2.8 multi. I'm sorry but it is a fantasy to believe that The Marvels is suddenly going to have the legs of a Pixar movie. If it opens with 55-60M, it is screwed. 

15 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

ngl, seeing the comments actually turn on the haters and start to appreciate the surreality of the video is kinda nice!

I mean, it's a live stream of cats flerkens! Who in their right mind is gonna hate on that!

Losers.  Losers who should be mocked mercilessly is who is gonna hate on that.

(yes, I miss when the Internet Was Allowed To Be Silly — sue me)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I watched this for a whole minute before I realized the length of the video 

Somehow I think the "bring back the white men" and "no diversity" comments should not be taken as reasonable criticisms 

• Like 1