Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I was rewatching Captain Marvel this weekend and I’ll say that another cut on the death by a thousand cuts this is suffering, is how Secret Invasion sorta craters the plot of Captain Marvel and makes it feel like it was all for nothing since Fury and Carol come out of it as having failed in their mission started in Captain Marvel to help the Skrulls.

This Secret Invasion thing just keeps getting worse, yikes.

At least they’re using its failure to revamp their TV side of things, but still, ouch.

Honestly it was pretty dumb to not show that there was a evil group of skrulls in that first movie. Fans were clamoring for Kree/Skrull War and Secret Invasion for years and this is what Marvel gives us? Makes me fearful for what they'll do with Doom, Galactus, and the X-men storylines.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Ms Marvel had some of the most authentic non bigoted Muslim representation that I have ever seen in a Western series. Kamala is a great character and Iman gives an amazing performance so yes I am very sad that she is looking to be apart of two flops in a row. That being said I don't think that people are obligated to see a film or television series that doesn't look interesting to them. The idea that normal people must see films that they aren't interested in and that are sometimes awful, solely for the diversity is just something that I can't agree with.

I'm not calling The Marvels awful by the way, it hasn't even been released.

Im a south asian muslim and i’ve never met another south asian muslim who ever even knew ms marvel existed, and I don’t think they ever gave a shit about Kumail being in an MCU thing either. I think if they ever got Hassan Minhaj for a project then it would be a big deal. Riz Ahmed… smaller deal, but I guess bigger than their current efforts

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Valencia said:

She can dry her tears with the tens of millions she made for 2 movies and 5 minutes of screen time in Endgame.

Feel bad for the 2 D+ extras that are getting killed off screen in the next movie/show or whatever.

~5M for CM (+ bonuses) + Endgame Role + 7M(?) for Marvels (with no box office bonuses) = <15M

Which is a lot but not what you said. 

Of course, Larson signed a 7 picture deal so it's really

~5M for CM (+ bonuses) + Endgame Role + 7.5M(? using Cumberbatch) for Marvels (with no box office bonuses) + 2 Avengers films (10-20M?) + crossover (<5M) + another CM film ($10M salary?)= 40-50M + box office bonuses (if all films happen)

but if its contingent payments, there's a lot at stake. 

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Are there less people using twitter or is this movie just getting less engagements? 

Both, But on a side note I wonder how a marketing department decide when to stop spending or is it all so planned out that they are basically treating it as a sunk cost and do it anyway? 

53 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

Moderation

We're done with this whole "icky girls shouldn't be in 'male' IPs". There's a lot of weird sexist nonsense going on here with some posters and how it's bad to make your male-dominant projects more appealing to a wider audience, and it's sickening. Please move on to something else and quit this sexist garbage. Thank you.

But... girls are icky, so ewwww.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Honestly it was pretty dumb to not show that there was a evil group of skrulls in that first movie. Fans were clamoring for Kree/Skrull War and Secret Invasion for years and this is what Marvel gives us? Makes me fearful for what they'll do with Doom, Galactus, and the X-men storylines.

Original writer of the GotG (Nicole Perlman) being interviewed in that big new MCU book talking about this (unlike a lot of things, this is original reporting for the book). 

Being married to a veteran helped Perlman with the parts of the Carol Danvers origin story that involved Carol being an Air Force pilot—and also influenced the portrayal of the Kree warrior “Vers” (whom Danvers appears to be before having her memory restored). “My husband was deployed right after 9/11,” Perlman said, “and he was so sure that he was fighting for the good guys. He was a chemical weapons officer and obviously there were no chemical weapons in Iraq, so he had this moment of wondering, ‘What if I’m not the good guy here?’ That was a big influence for Captain Marvel too. She’s been told that they’re the good guys and she believes it. What happens when you crack that open? That was an important element to include.”

But the core of the story is Carol Danvers believing she is Vers and coming to Earth in pursuit of the shape-shifting Skrulls. In the comics, the Skrulls are longtime malevolent foes of Earth, but here, they prove to be the victims of the Kree. “It was really important that the Skrulls weren’t actually the bad guys; they were refugees,” Perlman said. She credits Larson for that crucial shift. “When Meg and I first met Brie, we were just so bowled over by her empathy. I think that was the first time we started talking about empathy as a superpower, just being impressed by how Brie Larson really gives a shit.” The writers handed Marvel Studios the outline for their script in December 2016.

Funny to see Captain Marvel as, like Iron Man, on some fundamental level a GWOT" movie while it seems like they're pretty clearly saying the milieu around Syrian refugee crisis (and backlash to accepting them due to fears of radical Islamic terrorism) inspired the framing of this story. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

The variety piece for me felt like someone in Marvel trying to shift the blame around but at the same time the fact the film was getting these lengthy delays is not a great look for the director.

EDIT: Especially if the studio knew she couldnt help hands on.

The first 1 or 2 delays I think had more to do with covid, There was a point where everything got uniformly pushed back. The Delay from February to July was more 'The Marvels' specific. They were doing reshoots summer 2022, while Ant-Man and GotG 3 were further along. But the delay from July to November likely had nothing to do with the state of 'The Marvels', and if it did, it likely had nothing to do with DaCosta, who did her Directors cut of the film back in May. There isn't any evidence additional Reshoots have been done since the standard reshooting back in summer 2022, despite the rumors of an "overhaul with extensive reshoots". Instead it seems likely to me that this delay occurred due one or both of two factors. 

1. Quantumania released just before the Delay was announced. Marvel was getting a lot of heat for rushed CGI. An easy way to avoid that with 'The Marvels' is to give VFX more time by delaying the film
2. There would have been a massive gap open. At the time of the delay, the next film after The Marvels was Captain America 4, scheduled for summer 2024. that would have left a really big and awkward gap. To go from 3 MCU films in 6 months to a 10 month drought? that's just unnecessary. Spacing things out a little differently would be very reasonable

22 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Are there less people using twitter or is this movie just getting less engagements? 

Do you have something to compare it to? Reminder that this is the Captain Marvel twitter account, and not the Marvel twitter. I checked out the character posters on Instagram, posted by Marvel Entertainment, and there 'The Marvels' character posters got significantly more engagement than Both Gotg 3 and Quantumania, and Even a bit more than Wakanda Forever. 

18 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Do you have something to compare it to? Reminder that this is the Captain Marvel twitter account, and not the Marvel twitter. I checked out the character posters on Instagram, posted by Marvel Entertainment, and there 'The Marvels' character posters got significantly more engagement than Both Gotg 3 and Quantumania, and Even a bit more than Wakanda Forever. 

No, I actually considered asking in that last post if anyone knew the amount of likes other upcoming films(hunger games maybe?) had on twitter to compare it with. Every time I see a tweet from that captain marvel account, it has very low numbers and I thought it was a official twitter account.

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

No, I actually considered asking in that last post if anyone knew the amount of likes other upcoming films(hunger games maybe?) had on twitter to compare it with. Every time I see a tweet from that captain marvel account, it has very low numbers and I thought it was a official twitter account.

oh, it absolutely is an official Marvel studios account, But it's just a Film/character-specific account. It has only a fraction of the followers the main marvel studios account has. The main marvel studios account put out an identical tweet, and on there it has 2.4k likes, rather than ~500.

This post from reddit regarding The Marvels really does make me wonder if it is the biggest problem facing the movie:

My girlfriend told me that every single time she sees the trailer in theaters her interest goes down. Says she dreads it because she sees it so damn much. I wonder if this is facing a problem like Flash where the marketing is too aggressive.

Edited by scytheavatar