Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

This post from reddit really does make me wonder if it is the biggest problem of The Marvels:

That's crazy because I still hear people complaining that they've hardly seen marketing for it. Maybe some people just need to stop using ad-blocker

6 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

This post from reddit really does make me wonder if it is the biggest problem of The Marvels:

If the marketing is too agressive, what is the story from The Marvels? I don't feel the trailers have revealed too much.

Honestly, the marketing telling a lot of the story hasn't stopped MCU fans in the past.

Edited by Kon

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

That's more of a Disney problem than Marvel. Disney spends way too much on film, always have. Just look at all Pixar, WDAS, and Star Wars films. Controlling budgets is something they can't do for some reason.

How does this still keep happening for a producer house like Disney?  The Marvel way of making  a movie I guess is fine when everything hits a billion and budgets dont matter. 

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Luiz Fernando posted that warning and even after he did MCU fans accused him of being a misogynist who wants the movie to fail. On social media if you talk bad or report any bad news about The Marvels you will be called a misogynist and a racist. If you don't want to see the movie you're a misogynist and a racist. It's a constant barrage of name calling from the MCU fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Im a south asian muslim and i’ve never met another south asian muslim who ever even knew ms marvel existed, and I don’t think they ever gave a shit about Kumail being in an MCU thing either. I think if they ever got Hassan Minhaj for a project then it would be a big deal. Riz Ahmed… smaller deal, but I guess bigger than their current efforts

What the... I thought you were white lmao

Fans get so hostile when their favorite franchise falls out of favor. All of them have done it I think. From threatening to rape female critics to sending death threats to people to hate campaigns. I suppose getting called a  misogynist isn't the worst that could happen to you.

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Fans get so hostile when their favorite franchise falls out of favor. All of them have done it I think. From threatening to rape female critics to sending death threats to people to hate campaigns. I suppose getting called a  misogynist isn't the worst that could happen to you.

Do you think that I, a black American Muslim woman, agree with women being threatened with rape for any reason what-so-ever just because I pointed out that calling people misogynists and racists SOLELY because they don't want to give the Disney Corporation their hard earned money is silly? I think some people in here think I'm a white man or something and that's funny. 

EDIT: Both things are wrong, one being more wrong doesn't make the other thing good. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Do you think that I, a black American Muslim woman, agree with women being threatened with rape for any reason what-so-ever just because I pointed out that calling people misogynists and racists SOLELY because they don't want to give the Disney Corporation their hard earned money is silly? I think some people in here think I'm a white man or something and that's funny. 

Oh no, of course not, and I'm black btw. I knew you were black too. I'm just pointing out the unhealthy relationship that fans, short for fanatic of course, have with media relationships. It's all fun and rosy at first but then when things turn sour, they lash out at whatever they perceive to be a threat to their continued joy with that media. One might say they need to touch grass but others might say that they were already mentally unhealthy anyways even without being obsessed with a corporate product.

Fans have always been pretty crazy in every fandom I've been in. Buffy fandom was so fucking toxic in the early 00's but, and I'm going off on a tangent here, its gotten really bad in the last 10 years or so with social media and fans basing their entire personality off of their favorite media/game/movie/show/singer/politician/whatever.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3

NEVER forget that RT took away replying to reviewers after TDKR fans threatened critics. 

Also RT introduced confirmed verified audience score system after haters were review bombing Captain Marvel.

Some superhero film fans are the freaking worst. These movies just attract the worst kind of people.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Oh no, of course not, and I'm black btw. I knew you were black too. I'm just pointing out the unhealthy relationship that fans, short for fanatic of course, have with media relationships. It's all fun and rosy at first but then when things turn sour, they lash out at whatever they perceive to be a threat to their continued joy with that media. One might say they need to touch grass but others might say that they were already mentally unhealthy anyways even without being obsessed with a corporate product.

Fans have always been pretty crazy in every fandom I've been in. Buffy fandom was so fucking toxic in the early 00's but, and I'm going off on a tangent here, its gotten really bad in the last 10 years or so with social media and fans basing their entire personality off of their favorite media/game/movie/show/singer/politician/whatever.

The basing your entire personality on the media you consume thing is a borderline mental illness at this point. Marvel fans who are like that have been very "lucky" for the past decade. Luck always runs out though. By all means shill for The Marvels but don't get angry if the GP says "nah." I assure everyone, most normal people aren't watching those ridiculous YouTube channels. If they don't want to see The Marvels it is for other reasons. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valencia said:

I can’t believe a Marvel movie bombing at the box office has got people seriously discussing mental health maintenance techniques lol.

Well realistically it is more about what it means than the bomb in and of itself. Bombs attract all kind of negative talk towards the franchise as all the haters gather to let out their negative thoughts, and if you're really online and really into something, it can get tiring rather quickly.

There's also people who are just way too obsessed, of course, but I wouldn't necessarily assume they're all like that. It's just...when all you read left, right and center is how your franchise sucks now, it gets real old real fast.

Edited by JustLurking

51 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

How does this still keep happening for a producer house like Disney?  The Marvel way of making  a movie I guess is fine when everything hits a billion and budgets dont matter. 

Back in my day, the "Marvel way of making movies" was about it being a smartly budgeted well oiled machine in opposition to sloppy, megabudgeted films like TASM 2 or Green Lantern. 

• Like 1