Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I second this. I am expecting Cap 4, Thunderbolts, Aquaman 2, Blade to open in the 50m range.

Only CBM that have a unique style and vibe like Joker 2, Batman 2, and Spider-Verse 3 will be able to pull colossal opening anymore.

The days of CBMs with characters no one cares about pulling huge numbers just because society was on a CBM high are over.

The factory-made/generic style that most Marvel and DC movies have had in the last decade will be the downfall of the genre.

I’m not sold on Joker having a mega opening. Maybe something like $100m-$110m 

29 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

hows it doing in comparison to s1?

Both do very well though I'm unclear how they directly compare to each other. I read Loki their anecdotes as saying Loki S2 GLOBAL opening was vaguely 15-25% bigger than Ahsoka's opening (you need to compare a 5 versus 3 day opening). Now look at D+ US nielsen openings. 13.8M for Ahsoa so let's say vaguely 15.5M/16M estimate for Loki S2 in the US. 

I imagine there's some "number of subscribers" adjustment someone could apply but this looks to clearly place Loki in third place behind Mando and Obi-Wan with some debate about what comes after that.

Here's some great stuff from nonpaywalled aspects of entertainment strategy guy. Take a look if you're interested in those questions. 

IMAGE-7-Disney-Star-Wars-Series.png?w=11

Hawkeye's OW nielsen is weirdly high relative to its total run  so I'm going to post another graph.

Screen-Shot-2023-09-08-at-2.56.30-PM.png

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

hows it doing in comparison to s1?

The metrics that are available weren't available for season 1, since it's only now Disney's ever released any kind of numbers themselves. Season 1 only had Samba TV basically, which is a sliver of a portion of US viewers and doesn't seem all that reliable. Disney said it's the best premiere of the year after Mandalorian 3...which they didnt release numbers for. Hollywood for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

The metrics that are available weren't available for season 1, since it's only now Disney's ever released any kind of numbers themselves. Season 1 only had Samba TV basically, which is a sliver of a portion of US viewers and doesn't seem all that reliable. Disney said it's the best premiere of the year after Mandalorian 3...which they didnt release numbers for. Hollywood for you. 

Not true.  Loki S1 has Nielsen numbers and we'll be able to do something of a direct compare/contrast in about three weeks.  Maybe sooner if someone like TVGrimReaper leaks week 1 data.

I say something of a direct compare/contrast as Loki S2 releases on Fridays (technically Thur 6pm) while Loki S1 released on Wednesdays (at midnight), which will mean Loki S1 will have an advantage at first before things even out over the fullness of time.

===

But from the Streaming Tracking thread:

Loki

Week 1 — 731M mins (731M mins) / 51 mins (51 mins) - 14.3M views

Week 2 — 886M mins (1617M mins) / 54 mins (105 mins) — 15.4M views

Week 3 — 713M mins (2330M mins) / 42 mins (147 mins) — 15.85M views

Week 4 — 813M mins (3143M mins) / 48 mins (195 mins) — 16.1M viewss

Week 5 — 1080M mins (4223M mins) / 49 mins (244 mins) — 17.3M views

Week 6 — 1011M mins (5234M mins) / 46 mins (290 mins) — 18M views

Week 7 — 386M mins (5620M mins) / 0 mins (290 mins) — 19.4M views

Wk8 — 180M mins (5800M mins)/ 0 mins (290 mins) — 20M views

I'll be updating it in my own format once we start getting the numbers in.

(and, yes, that is US only — while Disney's number was almost certainly global)

((and, yes again, there will be a difference between Disney's direct measurement and Nielsen's sampling — but as I said, it'll be good for a direct compare/contrast once a couple of weeks have rolled by to even out calendar differences))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not true.  Loki S1 has Nielsen numbers and we'll be able to do something of a direct compare/contrast in about three weeks.  Maybe sooner if someone like TVGrimReaper leaks week 1 data.

I say something of a direct compare/contrast as Loki S2 releases on Fridays (technically Thur 6pm) while Loki S1 released on Wednesdays (at midnight), which will mean Loki S1 will have an advantage at first before things even out over the fullness of time.

===

But from the Streaming Tracking thread:

I'll be updating it in my own format once we start getting the numbers in.

(and, yes, that is US only — while Disney's number was almost certainly global)

((and, yes again, there will be a difference between Disney's direct measurement and Nielsen's sampling — but as I said, it'll be good for a direct compare/contrast once a couple of weeks have rolled by to even out calendar differences))

For context:

Ahsoka

Min View
(Weekly)

Min Added
(Weekly)

Min View
(Total)

Minutes
(Total)

Views
(Total)

Week 1

829m

829m

8.55m

Note that Ahsoka started with two episodes which greatly inflated the minutes watched.

I do have Mando S3 numbers as well, but a giant asterisk needs to be applied there due to back catalogue:

Mando

Min View
(Weekly)

Min Added
(Weekly)

Min View
(Total)

Minutes
(Total)

Views
(Total)

S3 Week 1

823m

17348m

25.78m

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ON THE ABOVE:  

I snipped out all of the S1 and S2 data from the above chart, which is why the total views doesn't exactly match up with the weekly views/weekly minutes as the total views is a cumulative chart. 

If one wants to see the current chart in full, here it is behind a spoiler box:

Spoiler

Mando

Min View
(Weekly)

Min Added
(Weekly)

Min View
(Total)

Minutes
(Total)

Views
(Total)

Season 1

5420m*

5420m

17.21m

S2 Week 1

1032m

6452m

17.58m

S2 Week 2

955m

7407m

18.20m

S2 Week 3

873m

8280m

18.73m

S2 Week 4

939m

9219m

19.25m

S2 Week 5

1210m

10429m

19.90m

S2 Week 6

994m

11423m

20.54m

S2 Week 7

1042m

12465m

20.98m

S2 Week 8

1336m

13801m

21.63m

S2 Week 9

1024m

14825m

23.24m

S2 Week 10

707m

15532m

24.34m

S2 Week 11

441m

15973m

25.04m

S2 Week 12

339m

16312m

25.57m

S3 Week -1

213m*

16525m

25.90m

S3 Week 1

823m

17348m

25.78m

S3 Week 2

889m

18237m

25.51m

S3 Week 3

1115m

19352m

25.10m

S3 Week 4

795m

20147m

25.12m

S3 Week 5

878m

21025m

24.94m

S3 Week 6

1031m

22056m

24.84m

S3 Week 7

1025m

23081m

24.58m

S3 Week 8

1012m

24093m

24.63m

S3 Week 9

498m

24591m

25.14m

S3 Week 10

319m

24910m

25.47m

S3 Week 11

242m

25152m

25.72m

S3 Week 12

205m

25357m

25.93m

* Off the Nielsen Charts or not compiled at the time, but data supplied by third party sources.

Was probably somewhere between 17m and 21m views for Mando S3 premiere in that five day period as a pure ass-pull guesstimate.

Again, the five day/three day discrepancy is going to matter here.

Also something that matters.  Nielsen reports entire catalogue viewing of a program while I am fairly certainly that presser just mentioned S2 premiere numbers.  So it is likely that the Nielsen number is going to be higher than what Disney suggested as even if the vast majority of folks only watched the S2 premiere, there will still be folks catching up on/rewatching S1, especially in the MTWT period before the release.

Yes all of this ***IS*** GIGANTIC headache to try to sort out even in the best of times!

Now  you know (one of the reasons) why the WGA and SAG were/are so keen to get hard verifiable streaming viewing data as part of their negotiated contracts!!! 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Both do very well though I'm unclear how they directly compare to each other. I read Loki their anecdotes as saying Loki S2 GLOBAL opening was vaguely 15-25% bigger than Ahsoka's opening (you need to compare a 5 versus 3 day opening). Now look at D+ US nielsen openings. 13.8M for Ahsoa so let's say vaguely 15.5M/16M estimate for Loki S2 in the US. 

I imagine there's some "number of subscribers" adjustment someone could apply but this looks to clearly place Loki in third place behind Mando and Obi-Wan with some debate about what comes after that.

Here's some great stuff from nonpaywalled aspects of entertainment strategy guy. Take a look if you're interested in those questions. 

IMAGE-7-Disney-Star-Wars-Series.png?w=11

Hawkeye's OW nielsen is weirdly high relative to its total run  so I'm going to post another graph.

Screen-Shot-2023-09-08-at-2.56.30-PM.png

Ahsoka skews more US than Loki will for sure so I wouldn't expect it to keep that ratio, could even see it a bit under Ahsoka in the US.

• Like 1

What’s the latest a film has rebranded before launch? I know Birds of Prey did during its run but just wondering if there is precedent before release? 

Everything around this film has always been a big red flag that Marvel were getting a bit arrogant/buying into their own hype. Tying your 1bn star to Disney+ Show stars, it’s just absolutely fucking bizzare.

Marvel deserve a loss on this one, they’re in for a hard road looking at their current slate (DP should do well though) and whilst Fantastic Four is a fan darling it’s not exactly proven box office gold…

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

What’s the latest a film has rebranded before launch? I know Birds of Prey did during its run but just wondering if there is precedent before release? 

Everything around this film has always been a big red flag that Marvel were getting a bit arrogant/buying into their own hype. Tying your 1bn star to Disney+ Show stars, it’s just absolutely fucking bizzare.

Marvel deserve a loss on this one, they’re in for a hard road looking at their current slate (DP should do well though) and whilst Fantastic Four is a fan darling it’s not exactly proven box office gold…

Honestly, I always suspected Marvel don't feel so sure about Captain Marvel's real popularity, that's why they changed the name to Marvels.

I know the first Captain Marvel movie makes a billion, but the promotion likely boost this in a good amount. It was promoted as the first female lead movie in the MCU. Not to mention that there was promoted with a connection to Endgame (it was even promoted in a Infinity War post-credit scene).

Connecting this movie to Disney + series seems bizarre now, but I assume they have good expectatives for Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I don't think McGuire and Garfield will be the main pull for that movie. We've seen them together with Holland on screen before. Not that the movie won't get hyped due to their presence, but Secret Wars will likely open huge regardlesss if they are there or not.

That’s not the 2 returning actors I was talking about.

@SpiderByte @AN9815 Do you think they would make Captain Marvel 3 if this makes less than 300m WW or even 400m WW, as tracking suggests? She won't get a sequel. Less than 300m would mean that the majority of MCU fans can't stand Captain Marvel; they either hate her or don't care about her, so unless she leads Avengers 5, this would be the last movie being led by Captain Marvel in the MCU, and if she leads Avengers 5, then Avengers 5 will meet the same fate as The Marvels. So either this movie will end Captain Marvel's run in the MCU or Captain Marvel will make sure that Avengers 5 does less than 200 DOM total.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Lemme say it again

My 100th time

This movie should have been Captain Marvel 2

Would have attracted way more audience. 

Most people don't know this is sequel of CM and that will affect

I really doubt most people wouldn't know that a movie called The Marvels is a sequel to Captain Marvel. Not to mention that the promotion is clearly focusing on Carol.

As I said, I think the decision to change the name was because Marvel didn't trust on Captain Marvel's popularity.

6 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Lemme say it again

My 100th time

This movie should have been Captain Marvel 2

Would have attracted way more audience. 

Most people don't know this is sequel of CM and that will affect

I laughed at the suggestion that the title was gonna harm this in any way just weeks ago. But if this gets great reviews and still opens below $100m, I'll have admit that maybe it played a bigger role than I originally thought it could.

An interesting thought I had is that if they advertized this as a Captain Marvel 2 and then Monica and Kamala (in the eyes of GA, a Captain Marvel superfan they wouldn't have seen before) getting significant co-lead roles may have backfired and have people complain that it wasn't Carol focused enough. With this title, it's more likely that people are surprised by how much Carol-focused it actually is and build buzz for that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So now fans hate the movie despite the fact that nobody's seen it?

Yes.  Many people hate movies without seeing them.  My brother hates movies based on their plot summaries on wikipedia.