Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

28 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Certainly, but they executed it poorly. Using two Disney+ new adds as side characters was a bad move. 

and on top of that the movie fails to do anything to make the audience endured to them. The MCU used to be so good at getting the audience on board with characters like in Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, the Guardians films, Black Panther (both imo) and in this one they just don't do anything with anyone. Everyone feels like cardboard cutots. Monica isn't enduring, Kamala is borderline annoying. Brie Larson is Brie Larson. And SLJ is basically an afterthought

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

So to be clear, were taking the word of a user who only has joined since this week and has only ever posted about how they hated the Marvels and not the credible leaker who posted review quotes?

I think it will be certified fresh but not by much.

3 hours ago, Shindaya said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wait a minute. This is significantly different than the one you previously claimed to know about, knowing about both scenes despite also claiming to have only seen one?

On 10/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, Shindaya said:

i dont really care if you believe whether or not ive seen the film, as it doesnt change the fact that i have in fact seen it. We only got one mid credit scene (the movie was WIP so no credits after that,) 

Hide contents

the end of the movie is revealed that Kamala has been narrating the story to Kate Bishop and she recounts Fury's spiel from the end of Iron Man (you're a part of a greater universe, you just dont know it yet ... which is dumb because obviously Kate Bishop does know)

the "mid-credit" scene was Monica waking up in a high-tech-looking hospital with her mother Maria, alive, wearing a white and red Captain MArvel suit with the gold "S" down the front, cut to black

Someone more cynical might say you just cribbed this from the more reputable leakers.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Arlborn said:

If all the rumors about it are true, and it seems like they are, the scene is supposed to be moving the storyline of the phase 5 along and connecting some points between quite a few past and future films. It’s not an aimless cameo at all to generate buzz without a plan, it’s literally storyline connective tissue.

It’s interesting that so many people have been complaining about that the movies aren’t connecting enough and now that there are apparently two different unrelated connective scenes in this movie(and one isn’t even a post-credit scene but part of the movie itself) bringing together new MCU superheroes that haven’t interacted on screen yet and setting up future interactions and movies, suddenly it’s a desperate move by the MCU.

Also, just a reminder that those are actual leaks, not things the MCU marketed at all. They aren’t official, therefore they are not actually part of a marketing push or anything. Do not be surprised if they decide to lean on it during the last marketing push days before release though since the cat is already out of the bag.

I don’t know, criticism of it as something desperate just feels wildly unfair considering that it all seems planned well in advance and will meaningfully connect to future movies. It feels like if this were done in a phase 1-3 movie people would hype it up as genius rather than call it desperate, but maybe that’s just a sign that the fatigue is real after all.

As a personal note, I wish I hadn’t read about all of it, I’ve realized since Infinity Wars (where I knew everything that would happen beforehand) that I enjoy movies better when I go in unspoiled, but I was just too damn curious this time around, oh well.

A little late, but I’ve been thinking about what you wrote. And I apologize in advance for what will probably be a lengthy response.

Honestly, you’re probably right, it’s unfair to criticize it without seeing it, and maybe it’ll work in a way that complements the screenplay, but I seriously doubt it.

I also think you’re right in that most people have been asking for that, but I have to admit I am not one of those people. I enjoyed things like Eternals and Shang-Chi for the fact that they were self-contained stories, and worried about their own characters rather than trying to fit in this larger universe. At some point, for me at least, marvel movies because less about the movies and more about “wowowow but how does it fit in the universe?? what comes next??” And I find that just bad for the art of film. It’s like listening to Taylor Swift for the sole reason of listening to clues for the next album. It defeats the purpose of music, just like it defeats the purpose of film. 

I know I’m probably in the minority, and I’ve really stopped watching marvel movies because I’ve realized they’re not for me, and that’s ok. I’m just frustrated by the fact that many people seem to ask for movies to be less about screenplay and characters and more about being a piece of a puzzle. Doesn’t matter about the quality, or how bland it is, as long as it fits in. It makes me a bit sad to think of movies like that  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Relevation said:

I have it penciled in for around a 67-69% RT and $280M WW

If it’s worse than Quantumania it could open in Morbius territory and finish with sub-$100M DOM and sub-$200M WW

Come on now, it's not gonna go under 400M WW.

• Haha 1

I don’t think it’ll go rotten 

It actually looks fun. One thing that is usually good about saturated gentes is that some movies can be a bit different than the huge succesful ones.

I think The Flash was pretty decent in how it feels like an emotionally honest 00’s SH movie, and The Marvels does look similar to that energy. 

Still, fun is not enough anymore for most critics. I think 65-70% can happen here if it’s not awfully made, but that honestly won’t change it’s fate.

Most people are used to Marvel getting 90% even for average movies so now even something solid like 70% is perceived as bad reception. Just remember how social media gone crazy about DS2 getting a super acceptable 75%.

• Like 4