Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

5 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Not to get wildly off topic, but I suspect the biggest problem with making a GTA film is simply that it's not worth the risk to Rockstar. It's the same reason that Pokemon only made a D list game available for live action adaptations. 

Is there any data on how Warcraft or Assassins Creed impacted sales? 

rockstar has said time and again they’ve no interest in a movie. GTA multiplayer alone makes them more money than a small country’s GDP

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Original Avengers is one of my all time favorite theatrical experience, but let’s not pretend those trailers weren’t shit. The quality of the film was a mega surprise. 

no way

those trailers (and especially the tv spots) did an incredible job selling the movie

they might not be incredible in an artistic way, but they're masterful from a marketing standpoint

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Really want the reviews to be positive for Brie and Nia. Especially Brie coz that poor woman needs to be validated after the last 5 years of absolute shit that IncelTube has given her.

I don't get how the critics saying that Brie Larson is good in The Marvels will mean anything? They said that she was good in Captain Marvel, so what would them saying that again change?

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

no way

those trailers (and especially the tv spots) made an incredible job selling the movie

they might not be incredible in the artistic way, but they're masterful from a marketing standpoint

They were effective but idk if the Soundgarden reunion song aged that well

Edited by SpiderByte

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The real people to feel sorry for here if/when this bombs are Nia and Iman. They both seem like they should have bright futures, but might get crushed in Hollywood now under the weight of this generic sub-franchise. 

I equally don't think anyone should feel sorry for DaCosta. She chose to go into the MCU machine for a paycheck, despite numerous examples of "movie making by execs, not by directors". She could have walked at any point over "creative differences". She seems quite content with this assignment strictly for the money.

I still don't think the reviews will be terrible, more middling, and the floppage will be attributed to overall brand fatigue, strikes, etc. DaCosta will be available fine in any case.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I equally don't think anyone should feel sorry for DaCosta. She chose to go into the MCU machine for a paycheck, despite numerous examples of "movie making by execs, not by directors". She could have walked at any point over "creative differences". She seems quite content with this assignment strictly for the money.

I still don't think the reviews will be terrible, more middling, and the floppage will be attributed to overall brand fatigue, strikes, etc. DaCosta will be available fine in any case.

I feel like it would be pretty damn hard for an up and coming young female ethnic minority director to just say “no” point blank to an opportunity like MCU. She could have gotten herself in hot water for getting future good opps turning down something like that as a relative “nobody”.

So I’m willing to cut her more slack, even if she did go in knowing she was just a part of a machine and wouldn’t have much creative control. Or even if she did have much creative control and is the reason the movie might not be very good. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Do you realize how hard it would be to pass on a chance to direct an MCU movie? Up until now it was a pretty safe bet. Even if you won't do another one, an MCU movie will put your name out there and if the movie is successful (like the vast majority of MCU movies) then it will open a lot of doors for you. So I think saying "she chose this" is pretty harsh. Also, she couldn't walk away "at any point". You might think you're on the same page with everyone but things can change during filming and post-production. Now she'll be forever connected to the worst bomb in the most successful movie franchise.

4 minutes ago, DInky said:

Do you realize how hard it would be to pass on a chance to direct an MCU movie? Up until now it was a pretty safe bet. Even if you won't do another one, an MCU movie will put your name out there and if the movie is successful (like the vast majority of MCU movies) then it will open a lot of doors for you. So I think saying "she chose this" is pretty harsh. Also, she couldn't walk away "at any point". You might think you're on the same page with everyone but things can change during filming and post-production. Now she'll be forever connected to the worst bomb in the most successful movie franchise.

Well the good news is that she has explained in recent interviews that she felt like everyone working post-production was very much on the same page as her by time she had to move out to London for Hedda. 

I think people saw that one quote from DaCosta where she said "this is a Kevin Feige production" and took it as something much bigger than it actually was. She's also said multiple times that she felt she had a lot of freedom in the production, and that she felt they were very supportive of her vision. The Narrative that this is "movie making by execs" is basically just a fan theory. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

this is the point. Not every character is meant to be a lead or co-lead. Falcon was effective supporting character and ineffective lead on FATWS. They tried with Hulk as the lead which didn't work out but he became a terrific supporting character. Not everyone should get a solo show or a solo movie or even a co-lead movie/show. There's no shame in being a great supporting character. Look at GOTG. It's full of great supporting characters. Giving solo projects to too many characters is what created fatigue and devalued the brand. 

Okay, so this goes back to what I was saying about folding space-time because they didn't know Ms. Marvel wasn't going to be a hit or that The Marvels was going to flop.  I promise they will not go forward with Ms. Marvel as the lead because they have data now that they didn't then.  

The problem is that you don't know until you try. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

First Avengers trailer is very old school dated something from like 2002 lol

2nd trailer has likely one of the most famous shots in comic book history 

avengers-circle-shot.gif

This shot is what allowed the avengers to smash the opening weekend record. 

I disagree. I disagree. The trailer was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

37 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

First Avengers trailer is very old school dated something from like 2002 lol

2nd trailer has likely one of the most famous shots in comic book history 

v

This shot is what allowed the avengers to smash the opening weekend record. 

10 years ago, there were people on here arguing that this shot wasn't iconic. They were wrong then and wrong now. That 100 avengers running against Thanos shot in Endgame doesn't even compare to this. So simple yet effective.

• Like 1

Who cares if the Avengers trailer is dated? Were they supposed to make a 2023 trailer in 2012? Time machines don't exist. I'm not even in love with The Avengers but that dated trailer helped it open with 207M. Our personal opinions don't matter, the results speak for themselves.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1