Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

Oh man. I just heard a clip of a musical number in the film. I love movie musicals, and for years now I've wanted to see essentially a combination of the MCU-style superhero genre with the WDAS-style movie-musical genre. 

But this is not it

Although, tbf I have this reaction to songs from new musicals like 50% of the time, and then they grow on me, especially when I see them in the context of the film.

But this seems a bit more extreme

It's like when a TV show does a musical episode as a gag, but isn't really taking it seriously. Just, haha look the characters who would never sing are singing. 

Edited by Hypercortical

39 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Final Predictions

50% RT

40% MC (fewer shills/fanboys/social media influencers on MC, so scores will likely be lower)

C+ Cinemascore

75% Verified Aud score

$40m opening weekend

$75m DOM total

$160m WW

Get ready, this will be one for the ages. John Carter's record as the biggest bomb of all time may, after eleven years, finally go down. 

Damn. I still think it'll do The Flash numbers.

19 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I understand that the individual films post-endgame have had problems, but I l still believe that the biggest culprit for the sudden collapse of the MCU is the oversaturation of the market and the nonsensical state of the overall narrative. 

The infinity saga was incredible at telling a story over the long-term while tying in individual character arcs and stories. Since endgame it's like there's no direction anymore and even each films approach to the “multiverse” feels inconsistent. The shows made it near impossible for an average person to keep up as well, and even for some hardcore fans.

The whole Infinity Stones storyline help in two ways

1. It elevated even dissapointing films cause people had something to look forward too. (age of Ultron and Thanos at the end says I will do it my self")

2. It made people interested in watching all the marvel movies even if they dont really like a certain character or care for one.

Captain Marvel was a perfect example of this

54 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Final Predictions

50% RT

40% MC (fewer shills/fanboys/social media influencers on MC, so scores will likely be lower)

C+ Cinemascore

75% Verified Aud score

$40m opening weekend

$75m DOM total

$160m WW

Get ready, this will be one for the ages. John Carter's record as the biggest bomb of all time may, after eleven years, finally go down. 

It’s not going to get C+ Cinemascore legs domestically.

That’s Morbius/Fan4stic levels of bad with 9%-15% RT score.

Worst it will do is fall into the same B range as Green Lantern, BVS, and Catwoman with B.

Flash only got B with 60%-70% RT cause they spent $200M marketing it as the best superhero film ever, and it wasn’t even the best one released in June 2023.

I’d expect Marvels to fall into the same 50-70 range and get B+.

Edited by Valencia

3 minutes ago, Valencia said:

It’s not going to get C+ Cinemascore legs domestically.

That’s Morbius/Fan4stic levels of bad with 9%-15% RT score.

Worst it will do is fall into the same B range as Green Lantern, BVS, and Catwoman with B.

Flash only got B with 60%-70% RT cause they spent $200M marketing it as the best superhero film ever, and it wasn’t even the best one released in June 2023.

I’d expect Marvels to fall into the same 50-70 range and get B+.

Normally this movie would get teens on RT, but I expect it to get a decent amount of "everything about it sucked, 6/10" type reviews, so it should climb to 40% at least on RT even if not by much. Critics will feel more compelled to like it than audiences due to the backlash the first one received, but that is not translating to Cinemascore.

20 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

I knew the musical thing was a gamble. I'm glad they tried it. Just wish they hired someone with experience writing musicals. Someone who understands how good musical numbers work narratively.

If only the Walt Disney Company had experience in this field, and had access to the top musical writers in the industry. But we don’t live in a paradise.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The most common praise being for Iman Vellani really makes me feel like she, for sure, has a future long term in the MCU. Be it Ms Marvel season 2, Champions, X-Men, etc, even the negative reactions so far say that she's great.

I think this is like Major getting a lot of praise for Ant Man. Its just the only nice thing they have to say about the film.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Valencia said:

She really shouldn’t be.

She was the main character of that Avengers game that flopped.

She had her own TV show that flopped.

She’s been a lead in a big $200M+ Hollywood movie that flopped.

She’s had ample screen time to audiences at this point.

She isn’t a draw.

Iman Vellani wasn't even involved with the game...?

A lot of people fully taking their masks off right now. Yikes.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why is the embargo so late at 12PM EST? Right now everyone is at work and most won't be able to check when the RT score drops. They will only see it when they get home tonight.

Is Disney THAT scared of bad reviews?

People who care that much will check during work, or on their lunch breaks.