Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

If it does miss 200 mln worldwide looking at first OS numbers, it'll only prove first Captain Marvel box office was carried entirely by Avengers and maybe curiosity factor, but it clearly didn't earn or deserve its money, that cash was practically handed to it by a very strong IP at the time.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not that the reception itself is unfair, i didn’t saw the movie, but you can sense a pattern that every time Hollywood only let minorities being actual part of the projects when it’s too late and nobody cares anymore that much.

On the other hand, gravity means that stuff ends up failing soon after being identified as a successful trend. 

Also, the reason people can cite "Catwoman/Elektra" as superhero flops, is that there was a real early 2000s bump in female lead action/adventure movies and it makes no sense to argue this bump was "too late"  when looking at what came before and after. These weren't films like the (amazing) Tank Girl, they're commanding 50M budgets 2 decades ago. It wasn't parity but there was something real that sort of gets memory-holed because a lot of these movies simply weren't very good (and to create a marketing narrative hyping up the next film).

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

I saw a critic for 'The Marvels' mention that 'Captain Marvel' was actually a more feminine movie than a lot of other MCU films, and I agree. Carol's character arc is one that's much more familiar to women than men to the extent that a lot of men who talk about the film don't even recognize that carol has a character arc, when in fact she basically has the same character arc as Rapunzel from Tangled. it's a story about a character learning to trust her own instincts and ability to reject a gaslighting abuser who pretends to be a protector/mentor, but really wants to use her for their own selfish reasons. I'm sure The Marvels is even more feminine, as many critics have been noting. But this time, not just thematically, but aesthetically too.

Will have to disagree on the arc . Sure that theme is there but don't think the film and characters do enough for most of us to care.  Amnesia plotline just completely robes carol of any meaningful moments . 

Her chemistry with fury is fun, her relationship with Rambeau is fine ,just don't have enough time with them.

Seems they were relationships issues with the dad and she faced some issues while being pilot,but we get flashback that don't really dive in much.

Third act is just boring. Easiest defeat of the villians I've seen .

Captain marvel was just an aggressively OK film . Nothing aggregious and nothing outstanding . 

Carol Danvers was solid but in the end there really wasn't much to latch unto IMO.

She just felt so out of place in EG.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

Reading the RT blurbs, it’s actually insane how many of them unabashedly praise Iman Vellani(Ms. Marvel) as the show stealer, even many bad reviews mention that!

Such a shame she was in a show that failed to reach a big audience and now in a movie failing to do the same, the actress is honestly great casting for the MCU.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Would it be safe to say Marvels is paying for the sins of the first CM?

People saw that movie and didn't understand hype, so they aren't seeing the sequel?

Captain Marvel benefited from Endgame hype which was the most hyped movie since the Force Aweakens. 

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

People saw that movie and didn't understand hype, so they aren't seeing the sequel?

Along with the oversaturation issue, I think The Marvels is paying for the sins of other MCU movies that disappointed people and yes Captain Marvel itself too. Captain Marvel because despite their attempts at a character arc, attempts that I'd argue failed, I don't believe that people latched onto Carol like they did Black Widow. I'm not even a huge fan of Scarlett Johansson but I believe she lended that character a likability and vulnerability that Captain Marvel just doesn't have. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

But I’m a Cheerleader getting panned is honestly criminal, what the hell.

(and so is many of them)

There’s more in the comments too. Like I can’t believe Now & Then, Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus. 

Brady Bunch K GIF

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The issue is that Captain Marvel doesn't seem a so popular character (and she is still more popular than Kamala and Monica).

Honestly, I haven't seen many fans of Captain Marvel/Carol. I've seen many people defending the character, but it seems mostly fighting sexism.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Reading the RT blurbs, it’s actually insane how many of them unabashedly praise Iman Vellani(Ms. Marvel) as the show stealer, even many bad reviews mention that!

Such a shame she was in a show that failed to reach a big audience and now in a movie failing to do the same, the actress is honestly great casting for the MCU.

She doesn’t deserve being saddled to this shitty subpar character and story (Captain Marvel). She could be such a breath of fresh air with her own thing in the franchise. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

She doesn’t deserve being saddled to this shitty subpar character and story (Captain Marvel). She could be such a breath of fresh air with her own thing in the franchise. 

They gave her a show, but it had low ratings. MCU fans are mostly males and they just weren't going to watch a Ms Marvel show.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

They gave her a show, but it had low ratings. MCU fans are mostly males and they just weren't going to watch a Ms Marvel show.

As a man, this is so alien to me. "If a man isn't the lead then I'm not watching it." I grew up on stuff like Alias, Buffy, Charmed, La Femme Nikita (the 90s series) and Xena so I've never had an aversion towards female-led series or movies.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eric Danvers said:

Moderation

I know we're past this, but I was asleep when we did our usual "grr critics bad" routine. It's frustrating some folks can't help but help themselves, and my sleep schedule makes it impossible for me to stop it. But better late than never.

I wanted to remind people, yet again, that we aren't doing this whole "Funko critics" stuff, this "critics have an agenda" stuff, and especially not this "soy" stuff. That's a bad dogwhistle that we don't need on this forum. Do this again, and you will be threadbanned.

And if some of you really have a bone to pick because people are being too nice to a movie most of you likelyy haven't seen, you can do this routine somewhere else. We're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Marvel and movie critics.

Sadly, the whole "How dare people not like something I like" and vice versa attitude extends well beyond attacking critics in  the mess that is on line fandom today.

And I have never gotten why people become so attached and defensive about a movie  they have not even seen yet.

And it just going to get worse, since CBM  as a  whole are clearly  losing popularity with the GA, and CBM fanboys are amng the most over the top.

SOmeone there wrote that The Marvels reception is not badly offensive. Problem is you need to give people a positive reason to plunk down their 12 bucks  and "not offensive" deos not cut it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DInky said:

As a man, this is so alien to me. "If a man isn't the lead then I'm not watching it." I grew up on stuff like Alias, Buffy, Charmed, La Femme Nikita (the 90s series) and Xena so I've never had an aversion towards female-led series or movies.

Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel did very well with male audiences.

Maybe it's because Ther Marvels is simply not all that great a motion picture?

Please, let's not have a repeat of the 2016 Ghostbusters crap, where if you did not like the frilm it is because you are an evil sexist.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel did very well with male audiences.

Maybe it's because Ther Marvels is simply not all that great a motion picture?

Please, let's not have a repeat of the 2016 Ghostbusters crap, where if you did not like the frilm it is because you are an evil sexist.

I never said that. Also, I thought the 2016 Ghostbusters movie sucked haha.

Edited by DInky