Inceptionzq

Top 100 Sci-Fi movies. No Superhero movies are allowed. Deadline is February 29th

Star Wars and Superhero movies allowed?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should Star Wars and Superhero movies be allowed in the Sci-Fi countdown?

• Yes: Star Wars
    • No: Star Wars
    • Yes: Superhero
    • No: Superhero

This poll is closed to new votes

My list

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  2. Children of Men
  3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  4. Solaris (1972)
  5. Brazil (1985)
  6. A Clockwork Orange
  7. Gravity
  8. Stalker (1979)
  9. Wall-E
  10. Donnie Darko
  11. The Fly
  12. Blade Runner
  13. The Planet of the Apes
  14. The Truman Show
  15. Mad Max: Fury Road
  16. Pi (1998)
  17. Alien
  18. Jurassic Park
  19. Arrival
  20. The Tree of Life
  21. T2: Judgement Day
  22. Hard to Be a God
  23. World on a Wire
  24. Godzilla (1954)
  25. Quest for Fire
  26. Her
  27. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  28. Aliens
  29. Face/Off
  30. Starship Troopers
  31. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  32. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
  33. The Terminator
  34. Robocop
  35. The Matrix
  36. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
  37. The Thing (1982)
  38. Back to the Future
  39. Blade Runner 2049
  40. Metropolis (1927)
  41. War Games
  42. Okja
  43. Ex Machina
  44. Moon
  45. The Iron Giant
  46. Mad Max 2
  47. Snowpiercer
  48. Star Trek: First Contact
  49. The Abyss
  50. Minority Report
  51. Paprika
  52. The Host (2006)
  53. Mad Max
  54. Ad Astra
  55. Gattaca
  56. 12 Monkeys (1995)
  57. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
  58. Farenheit 451
  59. Akira (1988)
  60. Frankenstein (1931)
  61. Flight of the Navigator
  62. Interstellar
  63. Annihilation
  64. Solaris
  65. Star Trek (2009)
  66. Ghost in the Shell (1995)
  67. THX 1138
  68. Star Trek: Voyage from Home
  69. Soylent Green
  70. War for the Planet of the Apes
  71. Under the Skin
  72. Galaxy Quest
  73. Marjorie Prime
  74. Avatar
  75. Altered States (1980)
  76. Looper
  77. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  78. Source Code
  79. Inception
  80. District 9
  81. High Life
  82. The Fifth Element
  83. The Last Starfighter
  84. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  85. The Martian
  86. Sunshine
  87. Contact (1997)
  88. Signs
  89. 10 Cloverfield Lane
  90. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  91. War of the Worlds
  92. Primer (2004)
  93. Upstream Color
  94. The Andromeda Stain (1971)
  95. Edge of Tomorrow
  96. The Quiet Earth
  97. Total Recall (1990)
  98. Back to the Future Part 2
  99. Tron (1982)
  100. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

snip

Although I do agree that SH movies should be kept separate, its because I know that if they are included they will dominate the list, not because I dont think some of them are not true sci fi. 

As you yourself said SH movies are very broad. Some do not have any sci fi elements to them like the recent Joker movie, whereas some have fantastical or supernatural elements with hardly any sci fi elements or explanation. Examples of this being Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Thor, Suicide Squad, etc. But some are much more grounded in reality with realistic Sci Fi like the Nolan Batman movies. 

The Sci fi element shown in the first Iron Man movie is much more realistic, grounded in science and achievable than many of the movies that you have listed. Ideal scenario would be that everyone who wants to include SH movies in their list think about whether each of the included SH movies actually qualify as SciFi or not and then decide. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Although I do agree that SH movies should be kept separate, its because I know that if they are included they will dominate the list, not because I dont think some of them are not true sci fi. 

As you yourself said SH movies are very broad. Some do not have any sci fi elements to them like the recent Joker movie, whereas some have fantastical or supernatural elements with hardly any sci fi elements or explanation. Examples of this being Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Thor, Suicide Squad, etc. But some are much more grounded in reality with realistic Sci Fi like the Nolan Batman movies. 

The Sci fi element shown in the first Iron Man movie is much more realistic, grounded in science and achievable than many of the movies that you have listed. Ideal scenario would be that everyone who wants to include SH movies in their list think about whether each of the included SH movies actually qualify as SciFi or not and then decide. 

First Iron Man I could see.  I’m not sure if I’d consider Nolan Bats as sci-fi, there’s a few cool gadgets and such, but James Bond has that as well.  The futuristic tech elements or speculative fiction elements do not play a pivotal role in the Nolan bats imo for them to really feel like sci-fi to me.

Obviously my post is just a general guideline from my perspective and people can take it or leave it.

But Id also agree that I wouldn’t want to see comic book movies dominate this list when we literally did a comic book specific countdown last summer.  Would bog down the amount of pure sci-fi films that could make the list. (Partially why I don’t want to include Star Wars wither beyond the fact that it’s definitely a fantasy franchise imo)

Edited by The Panda

2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Well, it's official. Star Wars will be allowed, and Superhero movies won't be allowed.

I really can’t overstate my objection to this. We’re discriminating against properties based on their original source material, which is sad and ironic, since science-fiction as a genre has always struggled for acceptance. Don’t let the inmates run the asylum. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I really can’t overstate my objection to this. We’re discriminating against properties based on their original source material, which is sad and ironic, since science-fiction as a genre has always struggled for acceptance. Don’t let the inmates run the asylum. 

Don't use your Marvel/Disney shilling to try to influence this list!!!

😛

But seriously whatever decision is made is fine by me

• Founder / Operator

Throwing in my two cents here:

Superhero movies, to me, aren't a genre. They're just types of movies and can apply to many different genres (The Dark Knight is a high-level crime thriller, Guardians of the Galaxy is sci-fantasy-comedy, Logan dabbles in western tropes, etc.). No different than how "animation" is not a genre -- just a medium.

Regarding the "science" element of "sci-fi" -- this is all make-believe, anyway. Fiction from our current perspectives. I think Star Wars qualifies here because, even though it's rooted more in fantasy and myth than science-driven storytelling like Star Trek or Gravity or Interstellar, it's not exactly something we can't prove won't ever be possible or isn't possible.

To quote another interpretation of Clarke's three laws, "any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."

100 years ago, smartphones were inconceivable to most. Even half a century ago, they seemed like an unrealistic version of "sci-fi" if you weren't a Star Trek watcher. Who's to say lightsabers and light-speed travel (also present in Star Trek, which is generally given the classification of science fiction) won't be used in the same context in the next few hundred (or less) years?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Founder / Operator

Also, full disclosure, I reopened the poll to vote because I didn't realize there was a poll to begin with... so if my vote was already accounted for somehow, SW being included should be at 15 instead of 16... 😶

10 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

I appreciate the input Shawn, but for the sake of making a final decision, I’m gonna stick with no superhero movies.

If that is your final decision then perhaps update your first post and maybe even the title so that people are aware. 

1 The Thing (1982)
2 Tremors
3 Predator
4 Alien
5 The Terminator
6 RoboCop (1987)
7 2001: A Space Odyssey
8 Starship Troopers
9 Total Recall (1990)
10 Aliens
11 Blade Runner
12 The Matrix
13 Twelve Monkeys
14 Stalker
15 Under the Skin
16 Akira
17 The Empire Strikes Back
18 The Fountain
19 The Fly (1986)
20 Sunshine (2007)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gattaca in my opinion is the best Sci-fi movie of all of times and specifically amongst the Sci-fi fandom community and this is a popular opinion amongst the sci-fi community. That movie was ahead of it's time about 20-30 years or even more. 

I would even go on to say according to my personal opinion Gattaca was probably the best movie I ever watched it had an impact on me growing up. I watched it few years after it came out around the 2000-2001 period. I even video recorded from a rental VHS I never do stuff like that normally because I am the type of guy who just watches a movie and moves on to the next movie but no this movie had an emotional impact on me. 

The movie used alot of time making a message come across and that message was the power ''HOPE'' the main character never gave up and had alot of hope, dedication and patience to reach a certain goal of his life and that you can achieve anything in life that you put your mind to if you work hard enough for that cause and dedicated. The setting of the movie was something to behold and for a movie that came out in 1997 it was atleast 3 decades ahead of it's time. A timeless movie and at times it felt like reading a book it was just creatively and artistically beautifully made

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

1. The Matrix
2. Predator
3. The Truman Show
4. Edge of Tomorrow
5. V for Vendetta
6. RoboCop (1987)
7. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
8. Ex Machina
9. T2: Judgement Day
10. The Fly (1986)
11. Weird Science
12. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
13. Donnie Darko
14. Starship Troopers
15. Idiocracy
16. Equilibrium
17. Rogue One
18. Looper
19. Gattaca
20. Tremors
21. They Live
22. Children of Men
23. Hanna
24. Dredd
25. Innerspace
26. Gremlins 2
27. Her
28. Return of the Jedi
29. Total Recall (1990)
30. Limitless
31. Lucy
32. The Fountain
33. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
34. Akira
35. Back to the Future
36. Time Cop
37. Butterfly Effect 
38. Safety Not Guaranteed 
39. The Abyss
40. THX 1138
41. Running Man
42. Attack the Block
43. The One
44. Surrogates
45. Fantastic Planet
46. 28 Days Later
47. Back to the Future Part 2
48. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
49. The Terminator
50. The Thing (1982)
51. Twelve Monkeys
52. Under the Skin
53. Annihilation
54. Blade Runner 2049 
55. Arrival 
56. Ready Player One
57. Solo
58. The Planet of the Apes (60's)
59. The Empire Strikes Back
60. The Fifth Element
61. Jurassic Park

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Science Fiction has such a broad range.  I guess everything from space to aliens, to computer magic to VR to pretty much anything can have some sci fi in it.  I understand that a movie like When Harry Met Sally or The Breakfast Club is not sci-fi but (just for example) Jason X would qualify since it has a space setting,  

This is going to be difficult.  So many utterly fantastic films.  

I can proudly and defiantly say no Star Trek will make my list,