Eric Lasagna

Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret | Lionsgate | April 28, 2023 | Kelly Fremon Craig directs. Based on the Judy Blume novel

Saw the early screening myself, think I'm on the lukewarm end but I'm sure a ton of people are gonna love it. Felt the pubescent coming of age was better developed than the religion arc. McAdams, Bates and the kid were all great though and I bet Fremon Craig has a future making studio romcoms.

This was amazing. Best film of the year and the best kids movie in a long, long, long time. I see what Brooks sees in Fermon Craig now. This really has the same energy of something like Terms of Endearment (minus that films third act pivot). Also was weird seeing the Gracie films logo next to something that isn't the Simpsons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This was amazing. Best film of the year and the best kids movie in a long, long, long time. I see what Brooks sees in Fermon Craig now. This really has the same energy of something like Terms of Endearment (minus that films third act pivot). Also was weird seeing the Gracie films logo next to something that isn't the Simpsons.

Forgot about Turning Red. It's funny that these two movies about girls getting their periods are the only recent American kids films that feel remotely refreshing. Their stories aren't even that special (you could kinda guess where all the subplots in these movies will end at the start) but they move in a much more loose and relaxed way and you don't have characters explaining the themes of these movies every minute. They have a genuine respect for their audience.

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

And Hans Zimmer did the score???? The music here was wonderful and I was wondering who did it. I enjoy Zimmer's blockbuster stuff a lot but there's something magical about his scores for smaller movies like this.

I think it

s good that Zimmer, probably quite delibertley, did a movie that made him go into new territory.

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hey Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret is rated PG-13...

Do you guys who have seen it care if it should be that rating or not?

like could it be PG?

I guess I could see it. Soft PF13 for sure

Maybe the movie could have benefited from summer weekdays (well, some summer that won't be crowded like this one), but financially, Margaret IMO simply missed its window for peak popularity. It should have come out in 1993 starring Anna Chlumsky or Gaby Hoffmann.

I still think it could leg itself out to a nice gross. WOM is great and it's positioned as a quiet family-friendly antidote to all the loud action and slapstick that usually defines summer. It's got at least a month as an ideal option for young female audiences (especially as a Mother's Day choice), feel like Elemental might be the next movie with any kind of huge overlap.

Ofc if it can't take advantage of a sparse May, don't think it would've had much hope any time of the year.

Edited by AniNate

this was pretty good, saw zero trailers before. even though go to theater often, heard it was a coming of age film and saw high reviews, so saw it. probably could of been better made in 90s when they did edgier girl coming of age films, but they may would have been wrong approach from source material which i'm not familiar with.

I didn't know this isn't a A24 movies because the trailer looks so A24. Perhaps a platform release is a more suitable approach for this kind of WOM movie, especially when studio clearly have not much marketing spend.  But outside of A24, there aren't much studio utilising the platform release strategy anymore, except for few Oscar hopeful titles.