filmlover

The Beatles: Get Back | Thanksgiving | Disney+ | documentary series from Peter Jackson

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Is Peter Jackson just making documentaries from now on?

Probably, yeah. The failure of The Lovely Bones and the Hobbit movies coming and going with a shrug might've turned him off from narrative features. Although if he's working for Mickey these days like he is with this I wouldn't be surprised if they got him to return after a decade (like Sam Raimi and Doctor Strange 2) and make a movie for them within the next few years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The failure of The Lovely Bones and the Hobbit movies coming and going with a shrug might've turned him off from narrative features

The Hobbit films still made a shit-ton of money though. That's like saying JJ might not want to make movies anymore because of Episode 9

Edited by TMP

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

The Hobbit films still made a shit-ton of money though. That's like saying JJ might not want to make movies anymore because of Episode 9

in fairness he did look like a fully broken man during the making of the five armies doc. it seems like he had a completely shit experience making those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

in fairness he did look like a fully broken man during the making of the five armies doc. it seems like he had a completely shit experience making those.

That's sad. :( What a fun, energetic filmmaker he is. I hope he gives it another go at some point. If not, he can still be content with some of the greatest films ever made in the LOTR trilogy.

8 hours ago, TMP said:

They made money, he did not have a good time making them.

25 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Honestly kind of surprised they're pushing for a theatrical release. Felt like this was prime D+ material, but I guess Disney's got a lot of hopes for Best Documentary or something

Disney+ is clearly only reserved for dumping stuff they don't care about (except Hamilton, which was essentially a glorified Fathom Events thing with limited appeal).

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/06/the-beatles-get-back-peter-jackson-disney-six-hour-documentary-three-day-thanksgiving-debut-1234777028/#pagetop

Director Peter Jackson’s long-in-the-making Beatles documentary will debut in three two-hour episodes over three days – November 25, 26 and 27 -exclusively on Disney+.

The Walt Disney Studios, Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd. announced the dates for The Beatles: Get Back, a Disney+ Original documentary series directed by Jackson that Disney says features a “wealth of tremendous footage Peter Jackson has reviewed, which he has spent the past three years restoring and editing..”

“As a huge Beatles fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that Disney+ will be the home for this extraordinary documentary series by the legendary filmmaker Peter Jackson,” said Bob Iger, Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “This phenomenal collection of never-before-seen footage offers an unprecedented look at the close camaraderie, genius songwriting, and indelible impact of one of the most iconic and culturally influential bands of all time, and we can’t wait to share ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ with fans around the world.”

Said Jackson, “In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines. The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia – it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible.”

He added, “I’m very grateful to The Beatles, Apple Corps and Disney for allowing me to present this story in exactly the way it should be told. I’ve been immersed in this project for nearly three years, and I’m very excited that audiences around the world will finally be able to see it.”

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

6 hours long overall? Although gonna assume there was a much shorter version that would've been released in theaters.

Kind of wish they'd still release that version in theaters.