Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

What's the point of putting yourself out there in public if your dipshit friends don't make fun of you? I imagine if my friends didn't constantly heckle me I'd be a total asshole by the 2022 election, if I'm not already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Number 2

Spoiler

cYiPowa.jpg

"They are nice because they are rich."
822 points, 35 lists

directed by Bong Joon-ho | South Korea | 2019

The Pitch: A poor family obtain jobs at a rich household by posing as highly qualified unrelated individuals.

#1 Placements: 2
Top 5 Placements: 9
Top 12 Placements: 10
Metacritic: 96
Box Office: $266m WW
Awards: Palme d’Or - Cannes Film Festival; 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Director and Original Screenplay; BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay
BOT History: #2, Top Movies of 2019; 10 BOFFY awards
Critic Opinion: “Bong—one of two Palme-contenders to issue a letter before his premiere requesting that critics not spoil the films’ second-half surprises—is among the most popular filmmakers in the world to consistently address issues pertaining to class in his work, and his strokes, therefore, can be applied a bit too broadly (voiceover narration is especially careful to ensure that nobody misses its message, which you may be able to guess just based on its title). But Parasite is such a perfectly calibrated satire, not a step out of place, that what it builds to can be overwhelmingly affecting: the hyper-capitalist mindset, unveiled and laid over top of us.” - Blake Williams, Filmmaker Magazine
BOT Sez: “Bong aims for many thematic and aesthetic targets over the course of the film, and he hits virtually every one with stunning precision. As a satire on social climbing and the aloofness of the upper class, it’s dead-on and has parallels to the American Dream that American viewers are unlikely to miss; as a dark comedy, it’s often laugh-aloud hilarious in its audacity; as a thriller, it has brilliantly-executed moments of tension and surprises that genuinely caught me off-guard; and as a drama about family dynamics, it has tender moments that stand out all the more because of how they’re juxtaposed with so much cynicism elsewhere in the film. Handling so many different tones is an immensely difficult balancing act, yet Bong handles all of it so skillfully that he makes it feel effortless. Though I often had the sense that something horrible was just seconds away from happening, the film plays its twists and turns close to the vest and I found myself surprised and startled by numerous developments. The acting is superb across the board, particularly from Song Kang-ho as the deceptive family’s patriarch and Cho Yeo-jeong as the naïve mother of the wealthy family. Song is convincing as an embattled opportunist who seems like he’s just one push away from cracking, and Cho’s obliviousness to the Kim family’s grifting and the ways in which her privilege have sealed her off from the real world often make for effective humor. Taken as a whole, Parasite covers so much ground and leaves viewers with so much to unpack that it’s tough not to get swept up in it as it runs and continue to ponder its messages and implications after it ends. It’s an experience unlike any other I’ve had at a movie this year.” - @Webslinger

B2C6651E71D94808B795B523917816F7F25FC081

Number 1

Spoiler

2V9FBbz.jpg

"I live! I die! I live again!"
822 points, 36 lists

directed by George Miller | Australia, US | 2015

The Pitch: Max Rockatansky joins forces with Imperator Furiosa to flee from cult leader Immortan Joe with his five wives, leading to a lengthy road battle.

#1 Placements: 3
Top 5 Placements: 6
Top 12 Placements: 10
Metacritic: 90
Box Office: $378m WW
Awards: 6 Academy Awards, out of 10 nominations; FIPRESCI Prize for Best Film of the Year; Saturn Award for Best Actress, out of 9 nominations
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2015; #24 (2016), #21 (2018), Top 100 Movies of All Time; #21, Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time (2020); 4 BOFFY awards, including Best Director, out of 14 nominations
Critic Opinion: “The engines start revving before the first image appears in Mad Max: Fury Road. And the noise only occasionally lets up before the closing credits roll. It expands into a symphony of combustion, burning nitro, rolling tires, crunching metal, explosions, and the occasional whirring chainsaw. Accompanying this din: images of brutal choreography that, in scene after scene, set the standard by which future action films are destined to be judged. Fury Road keeps producing one astonishing image after another: sedan frames set atop tank treads, warriors on poles, bikers dropping bombs as they jump over moving cars, a mutant guitarist on a bungee cord providing a martial soundtrack of metal riffs with a flame-spitting guitar while riding atop a vehicle outfitted with a towering wall of amps and an expansive percussion section. And it uses these images to construct action scenes edited with a dancer’s sense of rhythm. Accomplished largely through practical effects—though the digital touch-ups are both easy to spot and part of the film’s aesthetic—Fury Road’s action plays more like visions from the future than like throwbacks. It’s as if director George Miller, who’s mostly spent the past few decades directing and producing family-friendly efforts like the Babe and Happy Feet films, got tired of waiting for everyone else to catch up with the action movies inside his head, and decided to show everyone how it’s done once more.” - Keith Phipps, The Dissolve
BOT Sez: “The stunts, choreography, photography, production design: all out of this world. So much energy and creativity on display. Wonderfully realized, thematically rich world, that feels real and lived in. Also refreshing to see a blockbuster that feels personal, has a distinct voice, and plays by its own rules and doesn't give a f**k about formulaic conventions. Given the current landscape, Fury Road feels pretty unique in that regard. Furiosa is a real badass that makes other action heroines such as Katniss, Jovovich and the Underworld chick look tame and harmless in comparison (tho I do dig Eden Sinclair from Doomsday (a Mad Max-inspired film, btw)). Similarly, Miller makes most of Hollywood's action directors seem pretty tame and harmless as well.
I witness you, Mr. Miller. Into Valhalla you go." - @The Stingray

llWvjY-suypQy8HKyOKhH99Kt5paizlfKqkEyKPV

Commentary:

Spoiler

Yep, you read that right. With 49 lists, 21 tiers, and these two movies easily getting more than a 100-point lead over the rest, they still managed to arrive at the finish line with the exact same number of points. (I recounted their results multiple times.) MMFR technically wins thanks to being on just one more list, and while this wasn't an original criterion, it's worth mentioning that out of 41 people who had either or both of these films on their list, 23 ranked Fury Road higher while 17 preferred Parasite (and one poster put them in the same tier). Parasite, on the other hand, gets the second highest average point score (23.5) on the list after Dangal and the highest for any film on more than 5 lists, and the fact that it matched MMFR in points despite being fewer posters' preferred pick between the two means that those people ranked it higher on average than the Mad Max folks did their favorite. In the end, my takeaway from the extreme, absurd narrowness of this victory is that it'd be more correct to say BOT effectively has two biggest favorites here, as opposed to a definitive number one and number two. Anyway... there you have it. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7
  • Astonished 4
  • Sad 1