Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

Whole top row was just Flash, and it sold out real quick.  Normally there is at least one less on Tuesday night.  Granted the big new releases sometimes have more shelf room like how Guardians 3 had 1.5 shelf rows, and Fast X had 2.  I always guessed this would do better on disk than VOD and theaters.

20230830_0657231

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:47 PM, Veclozy said:

Forget Tobey, Keaton's Batman isn't even on Andrew's Spider-Man level, this thing is opening less than what TASM2 opened in 2014 unadjusted for inflation, internationally the difference is even bigger.

Btw Flash's OW in TASM 2 bucks is like $40M

Edited by HummingLemon496

Posted (edited)

So the promotion for The Flash was only $120M? Usually $200M budget films have marketing in the $150M range. Good news for me because we can stop this "The Flash was the most heavily promoted movie ever and WB was delusional for putting all eggs in this film" narrative. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So the promotion for The Flash was only $120M? Usually $200M budget films have marketing in the $150M range. Good news for me because we can stop this "The Flash was the most heavily promoted movie ever and WB was delusional for putting all eggs in this film" narrative. 

The counter is that Deadline is only estimates.  Professional estimates but only estimates.

4 minutes ago, Human said:

The counter is that Deadline is only estimates.  Professional estimates but only estimates.

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I believe Deadline

The reason to use Deadline is not so much because they are "right", but because they are a consistent source of information which makes it easier to compare like for like.  The trouble comes in when comparing a Deadline sourced number for P&A with one from, say, The Wrap or one of the British tabloids. Or even another Trade for that matter, even though they all have the same corporate overlord.  And we won't even get into the problems with comparing this against "official" tax documents from various governments

Like, I bring this up all the time, but it's the same problem with trying to compare streaming numbers from Nielsen and Samba TV (and possibly Luminate, though the data is still too recent to really say).  Sampling differences alone might give meaningful differences even before we get into other things like methodology or how they source their information.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just don't really buy it when I look at previous deadline statements.

15 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Let's look at ISPOT, which deadline also cited at the time. So it's not just a "who do you believe" thing because Deadline is saying that we should believe ISPOT. 

To get the word out, Warners spent big on trailers. iSpot, which monitors what studios shell out on U.S. TV spots (and again, this is just one facet of the The Flash‘s overall marketing campaign expense), shows Warners shelling out $31.3M on spots for the Miller movie, which pulled in 1.07 billion impressions. That’s more in iSpot metrics than what Disney spent on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 ($24.3M) and Elemental ($12.9M), more than what Paramount expensed on Transformers: Rise of the Beasts ($17.2M), and 3x more than what Sony spent on Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ($10.9M). The top networks for Flash spots by impressions were ABC, ESPN, TNT, Fox, and NBC, while top shows for the DC movie spots were NBA games, SportsCenter, NFL (remember Warners took out a Super Bowl spot), men’s college basketball, and the Today show.

and here's The Batman

iSpot shows that in U.S. TV ads alone, Warners spent more than other studios to date during 2022 (it is a big film), with close to $30M across the Winter Olympics, NFL games, NBA games, Good Morning America, The Bachelor, as well as shows on Fox, USA and CBS. All in 920M TV ad impressions.

quoting 28M+ in another article a week before release describing it as "even a big number from that data agency’s POV"

and here's a possibly unfair comparison to BvS

ISpot.TV estimates that Warner Bros. shelled out $31.7M in TV media, which is close to Disney’s domestic TV spend for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In regards to how BvS audience impressions stack up, they’re outstripping the pulls for Deadpool (1.29B) and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 (1.05B), but rank just under The Force Awakens (2.03B). The 30-second spots that ran during early January NFL games grabbed the most eyeballs with impressions between 20M-29M.

They really did spend a lot of money on tv spots in the US and Zaslov was clearly vocally all-in on the film. Did they pull back on spending at the last moment? 120M isn't low enough that it's impossible (I think you're slightly overstating the baseline spend) but it's surprising for me to read.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

WB did a Super Bowl ad for this. It was their first major Super Bowl ad in nearly 20 years. They wouldn’t have done that if they weren’t pulling all the stops in trying to sell this thing. Let’s also not forget all those hyperbolic endorsements from celebrities and influencers, including Tom Cruise and Stephen King. 

Frankly, I don’t understand why this was the movie WB chose to bet so much on, but I suppose that’s in the past now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:58 PM, WittyUsername said:

WB did a Super Bowl ad for this. It was their first major Super Bowl ad in nearly 20 years. They wouldn’t have done that if they weren’t pulling all the stops in trying to sell this thing. Let’s also not forget all those hyperbolic endorsements from celebrities and influencers, including Tom Cruise and Stephen King. 

Frankly, I don’t understand why this was the movie WB chose to bet so much on, but I suppose that’s in the past now. 

But what matters is the overall marketing budget. $120M is less than what a $200M budget DCEU film would usually get. Aquaman 1, for example, was $148M. I think most people expected the marketing to be higher which is why it's just a $155M loss rather than the $200M+ many people projected

This movie had a very normal marketing campaign, not a super hardcore one like most people though. Telling celebrities to say the movie is good isn't even a water drop in the overall marketing budget. WB was NOT delusional with this movie.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AniNate said:

This is a novel way to spin a positive narrative out of a flop, I will grant that

Hey, at least The Flash wasn't even the first time a $200M budget, post-pandemic movie about time travel released on father's day weekend with a villain who is an alternate version of the main character lost $100M+ 

/s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Hey, at least The Flash wasn't even the first time a $200M budget, post-pandemic movie about time travel released on father's day weekend with a villain who is an alternate version of the main character lost $100M+ 

/s

Other than the release date that does describe Lightyear 

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I ma convinced one reasn the film flopped was when it was conceived, the Multiverse angle was something new, but by the it came out it had already been done. it lost the novelty.

BTW,speaking of Multiversr Ironies, although not credited, Lord and Miller were invovled in the early scripts for this film.

• Like 1