Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

I’m still not sure if Zaslav genuinely thought this movie was going to be some beloved phenomenon, or if he knew it had an uphill battle, and was just overcompensating by pushing that whole “best superhero movie ever” narrative. Either option is pathetic, but the former would certainly be a lot funnier. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m still not sure if Zaslav genuinely thought this movie was going to be some beloved phenomenon, or if he knew it had an uphill battle, and was just overcompensating by pushing that whole “best superhero movie ever” narrative. Either option is pathetic, but the former would certainly be a lot funnier. 

He claimed he watched it three times! Truly one of the all time most embarrassing promo campaigns. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It’s honestly kind of interesting that the two movies had completely different trajectories.

Textbook examples of how good word of mouth can propel a movie and how bad word of mouth can sink a movie.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:35 AM, TalismanRing said:

Viewer Anon said he heard this was the budget about a year ago.

I gather that includes all the failed and unfinished Flash projects before the final one - so many writers and directors attached then dropped  - and all getting some kind of payout.   

Yeah, that 300 Million dollare figure was being floated around last year.

Not concrete proof, but that this ended up c ositng 300 Milion production costs alone would not supriise me at all., and to dismiss it as being  a joke is something only a die hard fanboy would do;.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, WittyUsername said:

If the budget is $300 million, then could this very well be the biggest box office bomb of all time? 

It would certainly be up there,  I keep on reading that in terms of money lost, the 1966 Russian version of War And Peace dropped more money then any other film since it, when inflation is factored in, is the most expensive movie every made, but since it was paid for by the Russian Government as a product to earn prestige for the Soviet Union,the mechaniacs are not quite the same.

And there are a couple very expensive Hollywood/Western movie flops that might have lost more the The Flash when inflation is figuured in.

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

He claimed he watched it three times! Truly one of the all time most embarrassing promo campaigns. 

I understand when you have spent that much money on a movie,you have to support it regardless of your private opinions, but Zaslem might well have overdone it here.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, that 300 Million dollare figure was being floated around last year.

Not concrete proof, but that this ended up c ositng 300 Milion production costs alone would not supriise me at all., and to dismiss it as being  a joke is something only a die hard fanboy would do;.

Just fucking ignore me then my dude.

17 hours ago, The GOAT said:

The Flash was all around great movie that has been tarnished to due to the star actor's criminal and erratic behavior. It's unfortunate because it could've made the same as GOTG 3 if it's reputation wasn't hit from the get go. 

Notice how fans of movies that fail at the box office are often more over the top then fans of sucessful movies?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Notice how fans of movies that fail at the box office are often more over the top then fans of sucessful movies?

It was a great movie that got canned by brand and star reputation. I genuinely believe this. I'm not even a DC fan. 

For me personally, it was basically 100% Ezra that made me not go see it. Unfortunate for the movie itself, which is probably not awful, but I’m not paying money to watch them play a hero. Can’t suspend belief that much. Are there other actors just as terrible? I’m sure, but I don’t know the details like with Ezra. I also won’t go see a Kevin Spacey movie or one made by Bryan Singer. Maybe half of Hollywood is terrible, but you can’t spend your time researching every person involved. Otoh, when I know, I can’t just put it aside. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I don't believe WOM would have been so bad if not for the fact they decided to cast an uncharismatic child trafficker as main lead. Switch Ezra Miller with Finn Wolfhard or whoever and this is a hit movie we're talking about.

As one who is seeing Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle in theater this year, but skipped Flash, I admit that the star's recent "antics" were also too much for me to pay to see him.  I do have HBO Max, so I felt like that was enough payment for Flash for me.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I don't believe WOM would have been so bad if not for the fact they decided to cast an uncharismatic child trafficker as main lead. Switch Ezra Miller with Finn Wolfhard or whoever and this is a hit movie we're talking about.

Nah, too much else was wrong with the movie.

I don't think the movie is that bad but the notion it bombed mostly because of Ezra Miller is pure science fiction. He's not even well-known enough to tank a movie this big. He's an Ansel Elgort with WWS, definately hurt the promo and the general excitiment around the movie a good amount, but the interest was just never there.

We are talking about a movie that opened way below already lowered expectations and then continued to crash and burn until it was essentially out of theatres in a month.

• Like 2