Neo

The Flash | June 16 2023 | Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton | We’re stoping the count at a Nice 69% RT (it’s 72% For Real) | Please Remember that Your Enjoyment Of The Film is Not Based On Others Opinions And To Be Nice To Each Other

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Of course Gunn wants to make good movies but unless he makes the stockholderes happy he will not be around long.

So You're saying there's a good chance that Gunn will be back, just in time, to make Guardians Vol. 4 ?

Just now, The GOAT said:

So You're saying there's a good chance that Gunn will be back, just in time, to make Guardians Vol. 4 ?

That would be WB’s loss. I hope Gunn is treated as well as Kevin Feige at WB but if he doesn’t, he will always have a home at Marvel Studios.

26 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Neither has Tobey Maguire. Or Andrew Garfield for that matter. It’s not about any of these things you’re mentioning. It barely has any foundation to ‘restart’ to begin with. A Flashpoint multiverse film is something you do at your third Flash film at the earliest.

Also I particularly believe that if there is one mainstream character that needs a complete overhaul is The Flash. I really dislike the angle that Rocksteady is doing with their Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League videogame, but in concept their Flash is something that DC would be wise thinking about going forward. I know that changing characters ethnicities are controversial in nerd crowds, but there isn’t a single good reason why a Flash needs to be a white dude. Yes they kept Quicksilver sort of like Romani despite being played by a white actor, but Quicksilver was never as important as The Flash. The good thing about The Flash is that he is maybe one of the most famous legacy characters before Spider-Man became that. So if a Barry Allen film doesn’t work, you can always have Wally West down the line. 

If this film under-performs then Flash is gonna be like Green Lantern where it's a TV only thing. especially since there's a lot of precedence with flash on TV already lol

After a year plus of tabloid headlines about its star Ezra Miller, Warner Bros./DC’s Covid-delayed $200M Justice League standalone superhero movie, The Flash, finally arrives in theaters. The global opening looks better than domestic, $155M-$165M Global to a $70M+ in U.S./Canada.

Despite a very good response out of CinemaCon and DC co-boss James Gunn exclaiming that the pic is “probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made,” along with reports on how the movie is set to reset the DC-verse, The Flash has been sitting around $70M-$75M on tracking for quite some time.

‘The Flash’ Box Office: $155M+ Global Despite Ezra Miller Scandals – Deadline

Deadline Anthony is back and as unhinged as ever with his new  sponsored-by-WB piece

While this is a character that is not very well known outside the hardcore fandom (or fans of the TV show), it’s tough to market a movie when you can’t travel the star, something that is key to generating buzz in offshore markets. 

The Flash is now a niche character apparently. 

Consider some of the openings of other superhero movies’ first installments, i.e. AntMan ($57.2M), Thor ($65.7M), Black Adam ($67M), Aquaman ($67.8M, though a 5-day Christmas weekend launch which did $105.4M and ultimately over $335M stateside). You gotta start these franchises somewhere.

Is he serious?

One assumption is that those being polled by tracking aren’t admitting that they have ulterior motives to really see the Miller movie this weekend. Flash previews start at 3PM Thursday.

xhQ.gif

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

Just now, TMP said:

If this film under-performs then Flash is gonna be like Green Lantern where it's a TV only thing. especially since there's a lot of precedence with flash on TV already lol

That would be a big mistake imho. In fact the one thing I truly dislike about the current James Gunn’s roadmap is Green Lantern as Max tv show. It doesn’t make sense to me that they have a Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow film announced and no Green Lantern in sight as a full blown film. It has been what, 12 years since that failed Ryan Reynolds film? Andor’s Tony Gilroy just revealed the reason why that series looks as good as it does and if you won’t invest massively on a Green Lantern show, making it subpar and including it on your new DC Universe isn’t the way to go. Making Peacemaker and Waller is one thing since it’s grounded a lot in the real world, making Green Lantern is just on a different level, or at least it should be.

What the DC Universe needs is a clear and structured 5 year plan that is more focused at the film side of things than whatever is the name of the current WB app. Superman Legacy and Brave and the Bold look both very promising, but we need more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

I don't need to focus on my own dislike of this movie-- though I loved one film that Flash certainly feels indebted to (Endgame), and appreciated pieces of the other (No Way Home) a lot more after watching how much this film didn't work. But I will just share per my DC Fan Screening last night that I really don't think this is the huge crowd-pleasing word of mouth hit that it's been made out to be for the past few months. The Batman '89 nods and a few cameos near the end were the only thing to get any amount of reaction or applause-- the only reaction the movie got from a story or set-piece perspective was a fun sequence in the opening of the movie. Its fan service and cameos exist exclusively on a Leo pointing meme/guest star on a sitcom level of depth. Nothing here makes a fraction of the emotional sense as the use of Tobey and Andrew in NWH, and I'd already thought NWH's plot felt like it was written on a cocktail napkin. Even worse, the references this movie makes to other pieces of DC lore feels much more niche and exclusive to hardcore fans than stuff in the MCU does. Even Spider-Verse, which obviously pulls from the deepest bench of comic lore imaginable, does it in a comedic way that doesn't expect the view to do the rest of the homework themselves. As somebody who's followed all the DCEU chaos this last year (as well as the past eight), I felt so confused about what iteration of this universe we would exist in after this movie. Without spoiling, an audience member at the end of the post-credits scene yelled "THAT'S IT?" - and again, this was a DC Fan Screening event. There are likable jokes and moments throughout, but I have to imagine a walkup summer moviegoer just feeling deeply confused and fatigued by this movie. 

@John Marston

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Anybody over 30 to me is a senior citizen, sorry. 

I don't want to watch a batman that fills his suit with gold bond power and whose utility belt includes a walker. 

Please tell me you are joking.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

Deadline Anthony is back and as unhinged as ever with his new  sponsored-by-WB piece

The Flash is now a niche character apparently. 

Is he serious?

Also budget's listed there as 200 so that settles that. (If anyone responds trying to argue, I'm not going to respond so don't bother.)

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That would be a big mistake imho. In fact the one thing I truly dislike about the current James Gunn’s roadmap is Green Lantern as Max tv show. It doesn’t make sense to me that they have a Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow film announced and no Green Lantern in sight as a full blown film. It has been what, 12 years since that failed Ryan Reynolds film? Andor’s Tony Gilroy just revealed the reason why that series looks as good as it does and if you won’t invest massively on a Green Lantern show, making it subpar and including it on your new DC Universe isn’t the way to go. Making Peacemaker and Waller is one thing since it’s grounded a lot in the real world, making Green Lantern is just on a different level, or at least it should be.

What the DC Universe needs is a clear and structured 5 year plan that is more focused at the film side of things than whatever is the name of the current WB app. Superman Legacy and Brave and the Bold look both very promising, but we need more.

idk why the GL show would be low budget? That and Paradise Lost will probably be Max's most expensive non-HBO productions. The GL movie solidified the property as something like Daredevil, where it would work better on TV and if this under-performs even with Batman in it then I don't see why it wouldn't follow the same fate.

Speaking of GL, the big reddit leak that accurately got Supergirl's writer and the members of the authority who'll be in Superman also said Lindelof is doing GL, which (before the Lost expose) would have meant that it was gonna be a high priority show. I can't really see him being involved with it now though, but at least they're aiming high.

25 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Noipe, just made a statement of a basic fact for the head of any studio: his or her tenure will depend on how much they do fo rthe bottom line. Hopefully Gunn will do well, and be around DC for a long time.