Eric the Minion

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-twisters-brings-breakout-potential-to-july/

65-95 seems too big to me

And also :

Edgar-Jones had a big 2022, starring in a buzzy Hulu horror film (Fresh), a prestigious miniseries (“Under the Banner of Heaven”), and Where the Crawdads Sing ($17.2M domestic opening)—an adaptation of a best-selling novel that failed to catch on with audiences, topping out at number three on the domestic box office charts.

Say what now?! Failed to catch on with audiences? It had 90 M in US (24 M budget)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AniNate said:

Did find a negative one. To be clear I'm not expecting like 90s. GxK reception would be ok for this 

I think it needs a better critical reception than that to do well. It does not have a free empty month like that did with no competition. It will need the middle of the country to come out in droves saying F the critics to survive it's second weekend. DR Part was 96% from critics and we know what happened with that in week two.

• Like 1

Getting GodzillaxKong critical reception would be bad when everyone’s been talking about how it’s from the director of Minari and therefore it’s probably pretty good. That would just be a different version of “Chloe Zhao and Eternals.” Unlike GxK this isn’t part of a long-running franchise that’s known CGI monsters punching each other.

That being said, critical reception is probably not super important for this film unless it’s just to push people who were on the fence.

Edited by Speedorito

Does anyone really expect a movie that used Twister as the basis for its existence to be amazing, Oscar nominated director or not? Heh.

Its a total 90s guilty pleasure, but the original has never been that good of a movie outside of the tornado scenes. It actually had a pretty high quality cast for the type of movie it was, but all of them give "paycheck project" level of performances in it.

• Like 1

I suppose it's not totally unreasonable to expect more, but if he did just lean into the dumb silliness of it all I don't think that would be a box office deal breaker 

Edited by AniNate

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Expectations are huge. There is nothing I have seen around presales that is confirming it but this could be a late bloomer. Is this another break out like say Top Gun maverick. 

Always struck me as heavier on walk-ups then presales. So I'm not surprised by this.

Right or wrong... I'm sticking with $75M-$80M opening.

Just now, cannastop said:

no one ever really predicts 7x legs nowadays.

Maverick did not have 7x legs(4 day OW above 160m and then great legs took it 718m dom). I was not thinking about Maverick legs when I put it. Maverick broke out as a 80s nostalgia movie. It had strong reactions at Cinemacon and had great presales form Day 1. Twisters could be a 90s nostalgia movie and that is why I comped. So far the presales dont reflect anything in the ballpark. Not even 1/5th of it. 

13 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

There was never a doubt. Glen doesn't miss.

Everybody misses on occasion.

Denial of this basic fact is a major reason I have a low opinion of fandom in general nowdays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Everybody misses on occasion.

Denial of this basic fact is a major reason I have a low opinion of fandom in general nowdays.

You really like making mountains out of molehills don’t you?

• Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Does anyone really expect a movie that used Twister as the basis for its existence to be amazing, Oscar nominated director or not? Heh.

Its a total 90s guilty pleasure, but the original has never been that good of a movie outside of the tornado scenes. It actually had a pretty high quality cast for the type of movie it was, but all of them give "paycheck project" level of performances in it.

This is the kind of movie where the reviews will have no impact whatsoever.

People who go this do not go to see charecters with any depth or a really clever plot; they go to see tornados wreck stuff.

Whether that is still enough to get people to part with 12 bucks a ticket in a streaming age is the big question

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

You really like making mountains out of molehills don’t you?

I just get a little tired of thinking anybody is incapable of error. You see it all the time in fandom.

• Like 1