Ethan Hunt

Film Festival Discussion thread

Just now, Reddroast said:

Ok so when think that the festival should be where show what we think are Oscar contenders (IC) and smaller genre works. (OOC). I feel cutting the budget hurts cutting IC films that use a bigger ensemble cast. Black and Blue is one of one of those films that would be affected. Right now I have the budget for it pegged at 50 million. There is no way I could do it for 20 million for the cast I have planned for it. 

I'm all for lowering the OOC even lower to compromise 

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

Ok so when think that the festival should be where show what we think are Oscar contenders (IC) and smaller genre works. (OOC). I feel cutting the budget hurts cutting IC films that use a bigger ensemble cast. Black and Blue is one of one of those films that would be affected. Right now I have the budget for it pegged at 40 million. There is no way I could do it for 20 million for the cast I have planned for it. 

I mean, you don't have to submit Black and Blue specifically as your in-competition film, you could write something else and submit that OOC. One of the reasons we started the festival in the first place and instituted things like budget limits was to encourage people to use their creativity to write smaller films under specific constraints. It's what inspired several of the films that competed at the festival last year.

36 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I'm using TIFF and the midnight madness competition my comparison for IC and OOC respectfully 

Also that's not really a good reference point since TIFF and Midnight Madness vs. IC and OOC aren't exactly 1:1 comparisons. TIFF doesn't exactly delineate what films are considered "in-competition" and Midnight Madness is specifically tailored towards underground/independent genre fare which wouldn't apply to OOC films from last like The World That We Knew and Sandboy.

A better comparison would be Cannes, which the festival was originally modeled off of in 2.0 and has specific "in-competition" and "out-of-competition" screenings.

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Also that's not really a good reference point since TIFF and Midnight Madness vs. IC and OOC aren't exactly 1:1 comparisons. TIFF doesn't exactly delineate what films are considered "in-competition" and Midnight Madness is specifically tailored towards underground/independent genre fare which wouldn't apply to OOC films from last like The World That We Knew and Sandboy.

A better comparison would be Cannes, which the festival was originally modeled off of in 2.0 and has specific "in-competition" and "out-of-competition" screenings.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I mean, you don't have to submit Black and Blue specifically as your in-competition film, you could write something else and submit that OOC. One of the reasons we started the festival in the first place and instituted things like budget limits was to encourage people to use their creativity to write smaller films under specific constraints. It's what inspired several of the films that competed at the festival last year.

I still think that cutting the budget in half is too big of a drop so here is a compromise 30 ic/75 ooc. 

I have never followed cannes so when I think film festival my mind immediately goes to TIFF

Edited by Reddroast

Since the originally proposed budget cut was $25M rather than $20M, that makes $30M very reasonable imo since it's only a $5M difference

One more thing that could be done is do a 30/60 split instead of 30/75 to make the IC exactly half the amount of OOC

Edited by SLAM!

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Since the originally proposed budget cut was $25M rather than $20M, that makes $30M very reasonable imo since it's only a $5M difference

One more thing that could be done is do a 30/60 split instead of 30/75 to make the IC exactly half the amount of OOC

I mean for the record no, the originally proposed budget cut was $20m, but I'm fine with $30m.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

How so? 

Because the idea of having a sizable split between IC and OOC was to gear IC films more towards small to semi-moderate budget films and OOC more towards moderate and up budget films that are also more commercial plays.

Like if you have IC stay at 40 and lower OOC to like 50-60 then what's the functional difference between the two?

I think OOC should stay reasonably high at like 75-80m to allow for mid-budget commercial plays to show up but I don't mind dropping IC to around 25-30, even if not necessary IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

So it sounds like 30M In, 75M Out is a go.

Is Friday Sept. 17th – Sunday Oct. 17th a good timeframe?

And who else wants to be a judge besides me?

Again, no it's not a go. There's only a select number of people who have discussed the budget limits, and Redd is so far the only one who has raised objections to a significant IC budget limit decrease. Secondly, aside from Black and Blue I have no idea what people are planning on submitting to the festival so starting next week isn't a viable option, let alone determining how long the festival timeframe should be.

In general Slam I think you just need to slow down and let discussions like these play out, and I feel like this happens a lot. If your intention is to try and take initiative I appreciate that but I don't think we should be rushing people to make a decision when everything is still up in the air.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I still think that cutting the budget in half is too big of a drop so here is a compromise 30 ic/75 ooc. 

I have never followed cannes so when I think film festival my mind immediately goes to TIFF

That may be the case, but the CAYOM Festival resembles the Cannes Film Festival far more than TIFF. Cannes has a jury like ours, TIFF winners are decided by the festival audience as a whole. Cannes specifically categorizes films as competing for the Palme D'Or (IC) versus those that premiere OOC, like ours, and TIFF does not.

So because of that, I think the competition at the CAYOM Festival should resemble the competition at something more like Cannes than TIFF, which means a more selective pool of submitted films.

Edited by Alpha

For me, I agree with @Alpha regarding the necessity to cut budgets down, not keep any f them as they are. I do like the proposed budgets of 30m for IC and 75m for OOC, as it allows IC films to remain low to mid budget, and OOC mid to high and relatively commercial, as @4815162342 mentioned.

As for the judges question that @SLAM! mentioned, I am still of the mind that it should be someone who isn't submitting anything at all to the festival, so as everyone get commentary on all of their films from the judges. That being said, I suppose we can work with judges who at best can only submit OOC films, and even then, I'm not sure about that.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Because the idea of having a sizable split between IC and OOC was to gear IC films more towards small to semi-moderate budget films and OOC more towards moderate and up budget films that are also more commercial plays.

Like if you have IC stay at 40 and lower OOC to like 50-60 then what's the functional difference between the two?

I think OOC should stay reasonably high at like 75-80m to allow for mid-budget commercial plays to show up but I don't mind dropping IC to around 25-30, even if not necessary IMO.

I agree with this. If the budget difference between IC submissions and OOC submissions is fairly neglilibe, then what would actually separate them? 30/75 is a reasonable middle ground imo.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3