Blaze Heatnix

Honest Thief steals $225K On Thursday Night ( source: Deadline )

Liam Neeson action movie The Honest Thief posted a notable first night during the pandemic of $225K in previews.

Neeson’s action movies outside of Taken typically see largely double that or more than triple that in a healthy marketplace, i.e. last year’s Cold Pursuit posted $540K on its Thursday preview, The Commuter did $700K, and Run All Night grossed $455K on its first night, however, we need to keep in mind that the No. 2 exhibitor Regal is closed down (except for seven theaters in California) and, of course, Los Angeles and New York are still shuttered.

Honest Thief last weekend got an early jump in Canada before its U.S. wide break this weekend, earning $364K at 264 sites.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-honest-thief-2-hearts-jacob-elordi-weekend-box-office-1234598767/

• Like 2

With a pandemic and a huge chain closed, I'd say that's a pretty darn good Thursday. Honest Thief should cross $10M total, with $15M as a "this might give other mid-budget films enough confidence to release" threshold. The sooner random mid-budget films become minor hits, the better.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

With a pandemic and a huge chain closed, I'd say that's a pretty darn good Thursday. Honest Thief should cross $10M total, with $15M as a "this might give other mid-budget films enough confidence to release" threshold. The sooner random mid-budget films become minor hits, the better.

I don't think the weekend can go that high with limited showings per day with limited seating...

In my whole metro area, 10am showings are gone, even on weekends...1pm showings and 9pm or later showings are gone except on weekends...and even on weekends, nothing starts after 10pm...

So, a movie that used to easily get 5-6 showings per screen now gets 3 on Fridays and 4 on Saturdays, and these screens are at 25% capacity.

So, I think Tenet might be the top we can hope for (was it recomputed to $9.5M true weekend or something) and I'd think New Mutants would be more likely as a weekend opening number, especially since New Mutants open had about the same theaters as now, with Regal mostly closing...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think he said total gross, not just weekend. 

Ahhh, I figured $10-$15M DOM wouldn't be convincing for mid-budget (since they don't tend to attract as much overseas...although who knows now:)- I thought more like $40M final would be a number they'd want...which is possible in the market, although a little tough...New Mutants and Unhinged have hovered in the low-to-mid $20s...I'd think mid-budgets would want to see something, other than Tenet, get to a $3X to keep them rolling out...

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-honest-thief-2-hearts-jacob-elordi-weekend-box-office-1234598767/

Updated, Saturday AM: Open Road’s The Honest Thief led Friday with $1.3M at 2,425 theaters, a figure that’s just under the $1.4M that Unhinged did on its first combined US debut-Canada Friday. The Liam Neeson film is moving toward a $3.6M three-day, and when rolling in Canada’s gross from last week, its running cume will stand at an estimated $4.1MHonest Thief is getting an extra boost from Imax, Dolby, and PLF, formats which Neeson action pics don’t typically have access to in a highly competitive major studio tentpole environment.

Coming in second is 101 Studios’ War With Grandpa, with $711K Friday at 2,260 locations. Look for the Robert De Niro-Uma Thurman family comedy to come in around $2.4M, -35%.  That would put the pic’s 10-day cume at $7.1M.

Disney had a one-two-punch with Halloween catalog titles in spots 3 and 4, respectively, with this weekend’s re-release of the Tim Burton production The Nightmare Before Christmas and weekend 3 of Hocus Pocus. Nightmare did $465K yesterday at 2,194 theaters, on its way to a $1M-plus weekend, while Hocus Pocus did $251K yesterday at 1,640, looking at a 3-day take around $700K.

Freestyle Releasing’s 2 Heartsthe other weekend’s wide entry in 1,683 theaters, looks to rank 5th with an estimated 3-day between $500K-$550K2 Hearts is 11% Rotten off 18 reviews with an audience meter of 83%.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

So War with Grandpa may end with around 15M or so, Honest Thief another Unhinged. I'll take it I guess

It’s honestly not that bad for these type of films; if overseas is decent as well it could break even. Movie studios can afford to release some of their mid budget films in theaters with these results just not the big blockbusters for awhile. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

4 films above $1m.

Solid, under the circumstances for both Honest Thief and War with Grandpa. Nice that Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas are getting some people in the cinema. 

Hopefully, 5 weeks from now, Freaky can open over $5m. 

• Like 2

"PostTrak exits showed 75% in the top 2 boxes for Honest Thief, with a 53% recommend. Males/females were 54/46, with 78% over 25 and 53% over 35. Diversity breakdown was 54% Caucasian, 19% Hispanic, 18% African American, and 9% Asian/other."

Top 10 chart for the weekend of Oct. 16-18:

1. Honest Thief (VVS) 2,425 theaters (+2,255), 3-day: $3.7M/Total: $4.2M/Wk 2
    2. War With Grandpa (101 Studios) 2,260 theaters (+10), 3-day: $2.5M (-31%)/Total: $7.2M/Wk 2
    3. Tenet(WB) 2,215 theaters (-507), 3-day $1.6M (-24%)/Total: $50.6M/Wk 8
    4. Nightmare Before Christmas (Dis) 2,194 theaters, 3-day: $1.3M/Total: $51.3M/Wk 1 of re-release
    5. Hocus Pocus (Dis) 1,640 theaters (-473) 3-day: $756K (-31%)/Total:  $43.6M/Wk 3 of re-release
    6. 2 Hearts (Free) 1,683 theaters, 3-day: $565K/Wk 1
    7. The New Mutants (20th/Dis) 1,293 theaters (-370), 3-day $465K (-32%)/Total: $22.7M/Wk 8
    8. Unhinged (Sols) 1,276 theaters (-332) 3-day $425K (-35%)/Total $20M/Wk 10
    9. Love and Monsters (Par) 387 theaters, 3-day: $255K/Wk 1
    10. Beetlejuice (WB) 260 theaters (-1), 3-day: $172K  (-9%) , running total $74.6M

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

2 Hearts imploding both critically and comercially, lol. 

It’s target audience isn’t willing to see it in a theater. Words on the Bathroom, and The Broken Hearts Club showed proof of this. 

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

That's... so so wrong. Life without sequels, are you kidding me?? Lol, we're in a freaking pandemic. Maybe this guy has to listen to dudalb more often.

Obviously, there's a pandemic and Regal shut down all but a handful of theaters, so that's going to have a huge impact on attendance. But hey, gotta get that Twitter engagement somehow...

Not bad for Honest Thief, the Liam Neeson action movie was fading in popularity, even before.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Tenet's numbers hurt my soul. I can't live like this.

I mean it's done pretty well all things considered lol. I'm kinda sad for Love and Monsters tbh, given all the good things I've heard about it.

• Haha 1