Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

14 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Hard to be an optimistic fan of anything on the internet

It's easy to be an "optimistic fan" of anything on the internet...

... just don't read about 75 to 85 percent of discussions and you're good to go! 👍

(I kid)

((or do I?))

(((maybe a little)))

((((but honestly ignoring BS artists out there goes a loooooooong way as to being a Happy Fan))))

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Yeah honestly I think Anakin was pretty much essential for the series and honestly I could have used a little more of him (perhaps in visions) to tease out Ahsoka's motivations more. My main issue with the series was how the characters remained kinda opaque and action was prioritized over more material digging into them, which was odd considering how Rebels was far more willing to let its crew shine.

• Like 1

So I finished Ahsoka last night and as someone who has never seen the animated stuff, I got to say that I loved it. I was a little trepidatious at first because of my lack of attachment to these characters but as the story unfolded I became invested in their journeys. I loved the idea of traveling to another galaxy and I was interested in the search to find Thrawn and Ezra respectively. Although I hadn't seen the Clone Wars or Rebels, I did watch a recap video so I understood how both were lost. I will say though that the show itself could've done a better job at conveying some of that information. Had I not watched the recap I might not have got that right away. Also the space whales were awesome.

I did like the characters for the most part. I liked Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka in Mando/Boba and I thought she continued to do a great job here. I've read some complaints that Ahsoka was emotionless or whatever but while did seem older and more mature than from the clips I saw of TCW, she does still seem to have a warmness to her and still a little bit headstrong in some respects. I'll admit that Sabine kinda got on my nerves a little bit at times. I can't really explain why because I understood her motivation but she kind of gave off a stuck up vibe. She did grow on me a little as time progressed however. David Tennett as Huyang was great from start to finish. Ezra was really cool. Although, I hadn't seen TCW, he seemed perfect for what they were going for. Those snail creatures were also awesome. I liked Hera and Chopper as well.

As for the villains, I thought they would be boring but Baylon Skoll surprised me. I definitely hope they recast because his storyline is really interesting. The space witch storyline was also very interesting and I liked the way that it tied into the whole arc. I'm not sure if Thrawn lived up to the hype but he did give off a certain presence that I found intriguing. They didn't do much with him in this season but i definitely think this was more of a teaser of things to come.

I disagree with the person who said that Anakin's role was unnecessary because I felt like it was important to showcase the connection between him and Ahsoka and I think they did that beautifully here. The worlds between worlds looked amazing and ending on his force ghost was perfect.

One of the few gripes that I had was some of the lighting wasn't pleasant to look at. Like on some of the planets there would often be this sort of haze that made everything look dull. Overall though, I loved it. There was some great action. I loved all of the lightsaber duels. This is what I wanted in a Star Wars show. 

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 2

Only got around 250 more likes to go

He got his thousand likes just as I was about to post this!!!f4yfcEc.png

Edit, ah got retweeted (and then quoted) by the main SW account on Twitter literally as I was posting here.  That'd do it! :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

After reiterating past comments in regards to how well Dave Filoni knows the character, Zahn briefly explained his view on why Thrawn seeks to bring his version of the Empire back with him from Peridea. In summary,  Zahn said everything flows from his motivation to help the Chiss Ascendancy. He believes the New Republic won’t be able to support that goal, so bringing the Empire back is the only way.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2023/11/timothy-zahn-on-the-motivations-of-thrawn-in-ahsoka-and-more.html

This was basically the conclusion that I had come to for why there was seemingly a disconnect between canon book Thrawn and Mandoverse Thrawn. So glad to see Zahn say this.

Now whether Filoni is actually aligned with this line of thought, and if there’ll even be a mention about this? Not holding my breath.

Rewatching this (subscribed to Heroes Reforged on Patreon, so since the strike is over they're releasing their watchalongs) and so far through 3 episodes it was better than the first watch. Dreading the final episode, but can't wait to rewatch the Anakin episode.

Every time I watch one of these I'm excited for the story and where it's going.

And then I remember that the ST exists and none of it matters.

Jesus... Will my woes ever end?

They really struck gold with Sabine's actress. Like seriously, how can you find such a perfect blend of an actress to play this character? Even a black belt martial artist too? Perfect! And then they transform her into an annoying, undecisive plot device... goddamnit! My frustration is immeasurable and my day is ruined!

So at first I liked this, but the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I am glad that they tried something new a bit, there are some very interesting ideas in there, it finally feels like Star Wars, but at the same time, the writing is so random and disjointed... hard to enjoy it in the end because of that.

Ahsoka is a terrible protagonist. She has literally no emotion. Whether it's intended or not doesn't matter: it's the end result that counts. And she comes across as GLACIAL. Bad idea.

Anakin!!! 🥰🥰  Loved seeing him again.

Happy to see Jedi kick ass again. It's been so long... the action was directed okay (or at least, the choreography was), but it lacked stakes. The characters came out of high-threat situations way too easily. 

I am beyond excited for The Acolyte. Finally, something... else! If it's terrible though... not sure I'll be sticking around for this Filoni-verse that I want no part with. Clearly, telling actual good, coherent stories is not something they're good at. 

I never really fully recovered from episode IX to be honest.