Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

You know, I think that really worked... as a season *one* finale.

They didn't try to cram too much in and they satisfactorly settled at least three plot threads.

Reveal hidden contents

The one thing that really really sucks, and was 100 percent unforeseeable 

Hide contents

is punting the Baylan Skoll plotline to a future season/series.

I hope to hell they decide on a recast here instead of radically reworking things.  As tough as it would be to step into Ray's shoes, they really need to, IMO.

Don't have much faith that they will, but I live in hope.

Some nits here or there, but  all in all, a very satisfying series.  And one that is obviously screaming for some sort of continuation.

They will probably re-cast him, but Rey Stevenson gave my favorite performance of the whole season. the person they get to re-cast him, has some big shoes to fill.

I LOVED the final. after that disappointing season 3 of Mando. this seems to be putting things right back on track. there is alot they still have to tell from where they left things though. I hope they live up to the hype.

• Like 2

The inability of the show to give us anything meaningful in movement on the Baylan plotline is bizarre.

There's long-game planning and then there's unreasonably dragging things out. We should at least have gotten some ideas of what he's up to, if the show always intended for his plotline to be a multi-season arc.

And yes, a recast is a must. It's not like 50-something stoic Brits are in short supply 

• Like 5

I also hope a season 2 solves the pacing and energy problem the show has. It just never goes into second or third gear and several things take far longer than they should to resolve and so we get far less accomplished than we should in 8 episodes.

• Thanks 1

This ended a lot better than I would have guessed a week ago, but that came at the cost of putting aside characters and plotlines that received a lot of build up in the first half. Starting with the good stuff, I think the show did an excellent job with Ahsoka and Sabine and the most satisfying stuff in this episode was how they wrapped up their season long arc. Eman Esfandi is really good as Ezra. His stuff with Huyang and then Sabine and Ahsoka was really really charming and fun. Getting so much Huyang has also been one of the pleasant surprises of this show. It's always a good idea to add more David Tennant to something if you can.

The less successful stuff has to include Thrawn. Is this really a character and performance that works well enough to be the lead villain in the mandoverse movie? He wasn't even the most compelling villain in this show. They have a lot of work to do on this front if they're going to continue to push forward with this character as the big bad.

Spoiler

Pushing Baylan and Shin out of the narrative is a huge disappointment even though it was probably necessary to keep this episode from being bloated or rushed. With Baylan especially, after building up so much mystery around him, I think they owed the audience a bigger step forward in his plot than just a shot of the Mortis statues (though I did gasp). I have to think this has to be especially unsatisfying for people who have not seen Clone Wars or Rebels who have no investment in that shot. It's not always fun to feel like you need to look up a wiki to enjoy a show. As for the Ray Stevenson of it all, it feels almost like they cut back on his material in these last couple of episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that to give themselves more options going forward. With that said, they HAVE TO recast. It would be such a letdown if they try to drop his plotline or clumsily hand it off to another character. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this show. And even though I don't think it was quite a home run, it was a big step up from BoBF and Mando S3.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

the amount of imagery lifted straight out of LOTR in this episode got a good laugh out of me

F7kZObkaUAAt0Gy?format=jpg&name=large

F7kZw2ubAAASt6A?format=jpg&name=medium

XUpz4Tr.png

F7kZ33ya8AAIIgh?format=jpg&name=large

i5m97snhpo391.jpg?width=700&format=pjpg&

F7kCc4xXkAAGWkO?format=jpg&name=900x900

They already kinda did that in the Mortis Arc in Clone Wars:
gallery-3_b8e61821.jpeg

The Son's cathedral is an homage to the tower of Orthanc from The Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers, which was also a single dark tower set within a circle. "If you know The Lord of the Rings films you may notice that the tower itself resembles Saruman's staff," says Supervising Director Dave Filoni. Saruman was portrayed by Christopher Lee who also played Count Dooku in Episodes II, III and The Clone Wars movie.

Source: https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/altar-of-mortis-trivia-gallery?image_id=5679e48eb6f86c5a560cd190

• Like 4

I'm still digesting it all but I must say that my gut reaction is to just love the hell out of it all*

It feels like a lot of the negative reactions to it were regarding something the producers unfortunately really couldn't have foreseen.

Spoiler

I'm convinced that if Ray Stevenson hadn't sadly passed away, people would've been more positive about the lack of development of his arc and be more excited about where it all leads! As it stands, there's a certain trepidation regarding how they're going to work around such a bad situation.

I'm also convinced, in a somehow paradoxical manner, that if Baylan hadn't been the break out character everyone loved so much this season, people would be less disappointed about his season's arc. As it is, everyone just really wanted to see more of him this season and it is disappointing that we won't be getting Stevenson's Baylan anymore.

55 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The less successful stuff has to include Thrawn. Is this really a character and performance that works well enough to be the lead villain in the mandoverse movie? He wasn't even the most compelling villain in this show. They have a lot of work to do on this front if they're going to continue to push forward with this character as the big bad.

That's my asterisk right here. Thrawn should really get more screen time moving forward. He's such a compelling character in this universe, but they've barely shown any evidence of it for the uninitiated watching this show. 

We need more of Thrawn doing what he did during his last scene of this last episode. That was the real and compelling Thrawn we know and love.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I'm still digesting it all but I must say that my gut reaction is to just love the hell out of it all*

It feels like a lot of the negative reactions to it were regarding something the producers unfortunately really couldn't have foreseen.

Reveal hidden contents

100 percent agreed.  Especially on the breakout angle.

I do think the odds of anyone over at Lucasfilm with any sort of real decision making power (or anyone over at LFL at all for that matter) reading this is infinitesimally low.  What I do hope is that they are seeing similar chatter practically everywhere I look online and...

... take that into consideration whilst they plan the next move.

Please.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Some fans have speculated that Dave Filoni’s stand-alone feature film — a culmination of his Disney+/Lucasfilm universe of The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett and Ahsoka, etc. — centers around Thrawn, and that is poised to be next. However, we hear that Ahsoka Season 2 is more of a reality in the conversation, though nothing is locked yet. Tonight there were no placards teasing that Ahsoka would return in the immediate future. Natch, the ending WGA strike and the ongoing actors strike has put off production for some time.

(Source: Deadline recap of finale)

Such a shame that Disney is gonna light a huge pile of money on fire on such an obvious money losing proposition. :sadno:

Spoiler

Obligatory: pJgt4zW.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(Source: Deadline recap of finale)

Such a shame that Disney is gonna light a huge pile of money on fire on such an obvious money losing proposition. :sadno:

Hide contents

Obligatory: pJgt4zW.gif

If the Mandoverse movie is to include Ahsoka, a second season of her show is required first so, I don't know,

Spoiler

she actually gets back to the galaxy and we know what exactly is going on with the barely touched on evil plans in the show

• Like 1

I also would not be surprised if we don't get a Mando s4 prior to any combo movie since the way season 3 ended it kinda works as a finale for the time being.

What I am curious about is how Skeleton Crew ties into the big picture

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

If the Mandoverse movie is to include Ahsoka, a second season of her show is required first so, I don't know,

Hide contents

she actually gets back to the galaxy and we know what exactly is going on with the barely touched on evil plans in the show

I wonder…

Spoiler

If Thrawn’s plans tie into the cloning of the emperor. But his plans seem to involve the magic of the witches, while we seem to be getting the scientific background of the emperor’s cloning a bit through The Bad Batch, so I don’t know what to make of it.

All I know is that someone somewhere eventually is gonna have to mention the imminent cloning of the emperor (I guess?)

This really wasn’t for me in the end I’m afraid, found it slow and plodding with weak characters (outside of her scenes with Hayden, Ahsoka was so incredibly dull and far too aloof to be likeable), although admittedly this is likely due to me not having seen Rebels/TCW and missing all of the character development.

My overriding feeling by the finale was that this really should have just been an animated show like another season of Rebels or something, I feel like the fans of that show would probably have got more from it that way.

Im glad some people enjoyed it, and I can imagine for a Rebels fan it’d be fantastic, but for the first time with a live action Star Wars project, it just felt like it really wasn’t for me.

• Like 1

Show started off bad, got pretty good in the middle, and then kinda fell off again the last 2 episodes.  Some of the biggest continued problems with these Disney Star Wars shows are large logic gaps in the storytelling, underdeveloped characterization, and setting up for future seasons/other shows which leaves you with an overall feeling of incompleteness.  Ahsoka felt like a blank slate and the least compelling character in her own show, and that's saying something with Sabine who looked and acted like an annoying angsty teenager the whole time.  And yeah, you definitely felt the complete absence of the two most best characters in this finale which were the two dark Jedis/Siths/whatever.

The grunting Zombie Troopers were really funny, but at this point I don't know how anyone can still get mad about that kind of stuff in Star Wars.  After 2 very underwhelming movie trilogies and roughly a 50% batting average on these shows, if you're someone who is still very much into the Star Wars lore, mythos, continuity, etc. then you're a trooper.  But to me its basically Terminator at this point, I no longer care whatsoever and just hope for an entertaining time.

Edited by Ozymandias

My biggest issue is not knowing what project will be the continuation and when it will happen. Is Mando S4 the continuation? Ahsoka S2? The Mandoverse movie? And when any of them will happen is beyond us. That is frustrating. It could be next year or it could be 5 years from now when everyone has forgotten this and less care at that point.

Last two episodes were just there, nothing much really happens and lot of plot threads are left hanging.

Nothing aggregious but this episodes were so 6/10. Action was all there but it all felt ruderless and just didn't care 

Zombie troopers ... Nah.

Overall settle with a 7/10 for the whole series. Still a little dissapointed in filoni here.

8 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Last two episodes were just there, nothing much really happens and lot of plot threads are left hanging.

Nothing aggregious but this episodes were so 6/10. Action was all there but it all felt ruderless and just didn't care 

Zombie troopers ... Nah.

Overall settle with a 7/10 for the whole series. Still a little dissapointed in filoni here.

This. There's no real "ooh I can't wait to see what happens next" unless they had teased the OT3 coming back. Now, it's just "okay, I hope  I remember this by the time they return to this story".

Gonna speak my truth. Obviously I've never watched the cartoons, so clearly I'm not the exact target audience, but I love Star Wars so...

The ending was bad. Like, bad bad. Utterly boring. The only actual compelling character is now in limbo because the actor passed away (RIP). Shin was fine, but greatly underused. Ezra was good and interesting! But also not really given anything to do. Sabine was VERY up and down, with her being somewhat interesting to flat out boring and dumb?? Filoni needs to be taken off of writing and directing things himself. My god. Ahsoka was either acted terribly or written terribly. I had high hopes for this after the Anakin episode, but oof. And then ending with his force ghost??? What in the world.

1. Andor

2. Mando

3. Boba Fett (Mando episodes)

4. Obi-Wan

5. Ahsoka

6. Boba Fett (No Mando)

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Last Star Wars live action for me to binge...I see the reviews right above...and damn, this might be on point for the other 5.

1. Andor

2. Mando

3. Boba Fett (Mando episodes)

4. Obi-Wan (this did get stronger as it went)

5. .......

6. Boba Fett (No Mando)

Now to see where I slot this series in a few weeks.  

My thoughts as someone who adores Clone Wars and Rebels continues to grow in stature for me is that I enjoyed it but for me whenever the show has something interesting potentially happening in terms of character conflict it eschews it in favor of mystery or hitting plot points like moving a chess piece. This made the final episode really rushed in terms of having to resolve the main story but also trying to give service to the character moments (I wouldn't even call them arcs unfortunately). 

More and more I'm becoming less a fan of this limited series type format and more and more I really wish these characters had their stories continue in animation. 

• Like 2