Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

21 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

You know, given what the destination world in this episode is, and the dollops of Nightsister lore in it and implied to come, it sure would have been nice if the Filoni Brain Trust in their infinite wisdom hadn't killed off Asajj Ventress in a random novel several years ago to serve the character arc of a guy who was barely in the CW show and hasn't been seen since, just because they felt obligated to showcase their cut CW ideas in some form.

Cause that decision, bad as it was at the time, seems to be aging rapidly worse now.

One of those cases where they were so determined to service a beloved EU character but hadn't had much establishment in the actual canon that they neglected an awesome character that was actually an important part of the show. The funny thing is that there was very early concepts of bringing back Ventress in Star Wars Resistance of all places. 

Also speaking of Nightsisters it still sucks Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir wasn't part of the final CW season.

• Like 1

As far as the actual episode it was pretty good. Again visually I wish 

Spoiler

the new planet looked better for some reason live action Star Wars is determined to have muted colours in every environment.

Spoiler

I saw some people criticize Sabine and Ezra's reunion, but I thought it made sense since Sabine clearly carries guilt of how she got there in the first place and doesn't want to let Ezra down. I do think this is a good argument for why this show should have been animation in the first place as I bet, I would have been so much more emotionally affected (I'm still on the fence on whether I'm happy this show is live action or whether they should have done animation).

25 minutes ago, dobrevv said:

https://tvline.com/ratings/ahsoka-disney-plus-premiere-nielsen-streaming-ranking-1235047119/

good numbers for ahsoka,think its 4th best premiere for plus show 

It's more or less at my initial expectations, which was halfway between Andor and The Book of Boba Fett.

Week 1 comparisons:

The Book Boba Fett [1 episode]:

TBOBF

Min View

(Weekly)

Min Added

(Weekly)

Min View

(Total)

Minutes

(Total)

Views

(Total)

Week 1

389m

389m

10.24m

Obi-Wan Kenobi [2 episodes]:

Kenobi:

Min View

(Weekly)

Min Added

(Weekly)

Min View

(Total)

Minutes

(Total)

Views

(Total)

Week 1

1026m

1026m

11.15m

Andor [3 episodes]:

Andor

Min View

(Weekly)

Min Added

(Weekly)

Min View

(Total)

Minutes

(Total)

Views

(Total)

Week 1

624m

624m

5.33m

Ahsoka [2 episodes]:

Ahsoka

Min View
(Weekly)

Min Added
(Weekly)

Min View
(Total)

Minutes
(Total)

Views
(Total)

Week 1

829m

829m

8.55m

(more or less on par with the recent bow of Secret Invasion)

The real test will be how much it grows, if it grows, over the coming weeks.

NB:

Don't have Mando first week numbers as they weren't released by Nielsen way back then, but Mando is muuuuuuuch larger than anything listed above (was charting well over 20m+ views a week for S3)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

I have been loving the show, the latest episode was not as strong as the others but episode 5 with Hayden was one of the best episodes of Star Wars TV ever for me. Hopefully it ends strong, feels like Thrown showed up way later than I would have thought going into the series so I wonder if they are saving a big battle for another season or show or movie and this is more of an intimate confrontation. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I have been loving the show, the latest episode was not as strong as the others but episode 5 with Hayden was one of the best episodes of Star Wars TV ever for me. Hopefully it ends strong, feels like Thrown showed up way later than I would have thought going into the series so I wonder if they are saving a big battle for another season or show or movie and this is more of an intimate confrontation. 

Bet you dollars to donuts that if there hadn't been a dual strike going on right now that a series "oh so cleverly" entitled Thrawn would have been announced immediately after Ahsoka ends or soon after. 

(might still get an announcement, mind)

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Bet you dollars to donuts that if there hadn't been a dual strike going on right now that a series "oh so cleverly" entitled Thrawn would have been announced immediately after Ahsoka ends or soon after. 

(might still get an announcement, mind)

Yeah they could even do a Mando Season 2 with a BoBF style end credit scene with a Thrawn will return in whatever name of show/movie. I agree I wouldn't be shocked with that either in show or after the show has finished. 

Also hate that my laptop is autocorrecting Thrawn to Thrown just noticed that when you quoted my post. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Potiki said:

Ifeels like Thrown showed up way later than I would have thought going into the series so I wonder if they are saving a big battle for another season or show or movie and this is more of an intimate confrontation. 

My assumption is Ahsoka will have to choose between helping Sabine/Ezra + stopping Baylan vs. stopping Thrawn/The Great Mothers and will choose the former

Allowing Thrawn to escape to the galaxy far far away for a second season 

• Like 5

On 9/19/2023 at 11:38 PM, 4815162342 said:

You know, given what the destination world in this episode is, and the dollops of Nightsister lore in it and implied to come, it sure would have been nice if the Filoni Brain Trust in their infinite wisdom hadn't killed off Asajj Ventress in a random novel several years ago to serve the character arc of a guy who was barely in the CW show and hasn't been seen since, just because they felt obligated to showcase their cut CW ideas in some form.

Cause that decision, bad as it was at the time, seems to be aging rapidly worse now.

I completely agree but oh, what a book that was. I've actually read it recently and it was one of the best Star Wars books I've read, right after one or two books involving Thrawn. Shame about the heavy price though.

I loved ep 6 by the way, I've truly been loving the show.

I wish I had more likes to give

• Like 3

God damn, I'm gonna miss Ray Stevenson, as he's been an absolute sensation during this series.  Bringing a level of nuance and near pathos to a role that could all too easily be done as a one-note baddie.

Taken far too soon. :( 

(may be a penultimate episode, but it worked for me far more than the last one — no complaints here with it)

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Will also admit that the following line:

Spoiler

Ezra: "The Emperor is dead?"

Sabine: "That's what people say."

got a IRL:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i1llrcox49xo46ea39e

I mean, yes it's a pure wink and a nod to the fans, but I like those sorts of winks and nods! 👍

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I liked it as an episode a lot but feel like the ending of the series is either going to be rushed or feel incomplete, really hope I am wrong come next week though. 

Screams to me like a cliffhanger or 

Spoiler

ESB style ending/segue into the next story.

I was only semi-kidding when I said I was expecting a series called Thrawn to be announced almost immediately after Ahskoa ends, were it not for the dual (now sole) strikes in Hollywood.

Still, a lot can happen in 45 to 60 minutes, as Twilight of the Apprentice showed. Or more recently, the season finale of S1 of Mando.

Do think/agree though there is very little chance that some (many?) of the plot threads of this series are gonna be self-contained to just one season/this series.

Really curious if an Ahsoka series two announcement is made now that the writers strike is over.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I liked it as an episode a lot but feel like the ending of the series is either going to be rushed or feel incomplete, really hope I am wrong come next week though. 

Just now, Porthos said:

Do think/agree though there is very little chance that some (many?) of the plot threads of this series are gonna be self-contained to just one season/this series.

Will say, for me at least, I will be satisfied if the emotional beats between Ezra, Sabine, and Ahsoka are put front and center and addressed.   Maybe not even resolved, because is anything ever truly resolved?  Instead, what I'm looking for is the emotional thread for Sabine and Ahsoka that started at the beginning of the series to come to a head, hopefully with Ezra as part of it.

The only other thing I think I really want is a resolution to the Baylan Skoll plotline.  Well, even then "resolution" is a strong word, and instead I'll say: culmination.  

If I get those two things (emotional payoff to the Ahskoa/Sabine/Ezra dynamic and Something Interesting/Cool with Skoll), then I think I would consider this season/series a fairly successful one no matter how many other things aren't tied up in a pretty little bow.

Is there enough time to do that with one episode left?  Well, there should be.  Will there be?  Guess we'll find out next week. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

The only other thing I think I really want is a resolution to the Baylan Skoll plotline.  Well, even then "resolution" is a strong word, and instead I'll say: culmination.

Baylan has stolen the show. His plotline is the most interesting story to me, not that the main story isn’t great. While I don’t expect his story to be concluded in the final episode, it feels like there is a lot of heavy lifting to be done.

Interestingly enough, episode 7 is called “Dreams and Madness”, which is how Baylan described Peridea in episode 6. But we didn’t really get any expansion on his storyline or about the planet.

• Like 1

The problem with Baylan is the show is extremely slow-playing his angle. By the end of this episode we should have known exactly what he intends to do and the episode would have given the heroes the dilemma of choosing between stopping Baylan and stopping Thrawn.

A lot of the episodes cover like 2/3 of the ground they should, and things feel stretched.

It honestly kinda is the fault of Episodes 3/4 not being a single episode which they really should have, which denied us more time to find out what exactly is going on in Peridea

• Like 1