YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This isn't shocking after Eternals, West Side Story, and Doctor Strange 2 were all banned in multiple countries for the same reason.

Oh well, let them stand there in their wrongness.

Thor Love and Thunder is absolutely gonna be next

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Was Eternals banned in these same markets? 

Eternals gay kiss was cut in Malaysia. But all kiss and affectionate scenes were cut from the film, Hetero or homo alike.  Malaysia has a very strict no kiss for PG movies policy. Lightyear was banned not because it feature lesbian but it is because of the movie has kiss scene. But Disney being a hypocrite woke warrior, take this stance as a bias against LGBT, ignoring the fact that a hetero kiss would equally receive censorship here.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Disney hasn't said anything about the stance. But honestly if they cut hetero kisses too all the more reason to tell em to screw off. Western studios need to stop currying favor to more narrow-minded cultures.

Wtf, I suppose people in the west would also cover their kids ear if there was a cursing in the movie?  How is this narrow-minded? It is just a proper child protection.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Wtf, I suppose people in the west would also cover their kids if there was a cursing in ?  How is this narrow-minded? It is just a proper child protection.

Their "proper child protection" is what American kids have been watching without batting an eye since the 1930s. Malaysia can do what it wants but if US studios really want to practice what they preach they need to be willing to actually stand up for their art abroad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Eternals gay kiss was cut in Malaysia. But all kiss and affectionate scenes were cut from the film, Hetero or homo alike.  Malaysia has a very strict no kiss for PG movies policy. Lightyear was banned not because it feature lesbian but it is because of the movie has kiss scene. But Disney being a hypocrite woke warrior, take this stance as a bias against LGBT, ignoring the fact that a hetero kiss would equally receive censorship here.

Wtf are you on about with that "hypocrite woke warrior" nonsense? Having positive representation is being woke and hypocritical now? Do you want people to hide and pretend LGBTQ people do not exist? I for one am glad that the studio is not bending down for a backward ass thinking country. And I hope every studio continue to do so in the future.

I cannot believe anyone would so naive to think that a country like Malaysia doesnt have issues with LGBTQ portrayals and movies and that they clamp down on hetero stuff equally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Wtf are you on about with that "hypocrite woke warrior" nonsense? Having positive representation is being woke and hypocritical now? Do you want people to hide and pretend LGBTQ people do not exist? I for one am glad that the studio is not bending down for a backward ass thinking country. And I hope every studio continue to do so in the future.

I cannot believe anyone would so naive to think that a country like Malaysia doesnt have issues with LGBTQ portrayals and movies and that they clamp down on hetero stuff equally. 

Wtf? You don’t know Disney originally wanted the kiss scene cut? Only to reinstate them after the internal backlash. 

also, I saw EEAO freely in Malaysia. If you don’t know, that is a lesbian-themed movie. By the way, the movie is still in cinema.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Wtf? You don’t know Disney originally wanted the kiss scene cut? Only to reinstate them after the internal backlash. 

also, I saw EEAO freely in Malaysia. If you don’t know, that is a lesbian-themed movie. By the way, the movie is still in cinema.

They only had that kiss cut so that they could get that money from China and other countries. Since they're not going to be getting said money (China has been passing on plenty of Hollywood movies in general recently so the industry no longer needs to bend over backwards to appease them), back into the movie it went.

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

And I am happy that Disney employees fought to keep the scene and that the higher ups relented. Just like how I am happy that that they are now not relenting against a regressive narrow minded countries that are ok with all sorts of violence in movies but get their feelings hurt by a simple gay kiss. 

Also btw EEAAO does not have any same sex kiss or gay scene. Maybe you should watch that movie again. 

You still haven't explained what you meant by "woke warrior". What is wrong with representation? Would you rather prefer gay people go in hiding and no one talks about them? or perhaps you don't understand what that means?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is interesting to me and I have no idea how this works so please excuse my ignorance... So a film like EEAAO is in release in Malaysia with I assume the equivalent or a R rating in the US but Lightyear is outright banned instead of being given say the equivalent of a PG or PG-13 rating?

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

And I am happy that Disney employees fought to keep the scene and that the higher ups relented. Just like how I am happy that that they are now not relenting against a regressive narrow minded countries that are ok with all sorts of violence in movies but get their feelings hurt by a simple gay kiss. 

Also btw EEAAO does not have any same sex kiss or gay scene. Maybe you should watch that movie again. 

You still haven't explained what you meant by "woke warrior". What is wrong with representation? Would you rather prefer gay people go in hiding and no one talks about them? or perhaps you don't understand what that means?

You need a kiss scene to know EEAO is about a lesbian? 

also you can be woke warrior, but not a hypocritical one. If there was never a backlash, you really naively assume that Disney will self-initiate a reinstatement of a lesbian kiss scene? They will be happily cut it away to milk every penny from potential consumer. And that is hypocrisy. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This is interesting to me and I have no idea how this works so please excuse my ignorance... So a film like EEAAO is in release in Malaysia with I assume the equivalent or a R rating in the US but Lightyear is outright banned instead of being given say the equivalent of a PG or PG-13 rating?

EEAO has a PG rating here, they only mute the cursing and some violence scene is zoom out. As for LY, the movie should have been 18+ , and a warning sign will be displayed during those scene. It was funny to see a warning sign during birdman when there was a same-sex kissing scene.

Generally, malaysia is quite ok with LGBT theme but they want to stay controversial-less and try not to provoke conservative sentiment that will not only unable to “defeat” them but further empower them, like all the bullshit far right and far left culture wars that tearing apart the UsA today.

• Like 2

And yet the movie is somehow getting released with the gay kiss intact here. Yeah, probably gonna be some kind of right wing outrage when it releases but it generally doesn't last longer than one news cycle before they get bored and need to find something else to maintain ratings.

You can't make progress without angering some people.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2