cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

After listening to Michael Rosenbaum’s podcast with James Gunn, color me very intrigued with Blue Beetle and this is now finally on my radar:

Also first of the Charleton Heros to get his own movie., though Peacekeeper got his TV ahow first.

And both were changes quite a bit from the Charleton original.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

@Cap @Eric Prime @XXRkham Asylum

The confirmation that Blue Beetle is the first new film set in the new DC Universe above seems rather massive. Maybe an update on the thread title is in order, I’m actually very intrigued with this one since Gunn seems rather confident to claim this.

I suspect that Blue Beetle probably has only a tenous connection with the current DCU led to it being "grandfathered" in to Gunn's DCU.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

@Cap @Eric Prime @XXRkham Asylum

The confirmation that Blue Beetle is the first new film set in the new DC Universe above seems rather massive. Maybe an update on the thread title is in order, I’m actually very intrigued with this one since Gunn seems rather confident to claim this.

That clip is interesting in how he worded it. It would seem to indicate that this film is not in the new universe but the character will be. I can make an edit to the title as such. 

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

I suspect that Blue Beetle probably has only a tenous connection with the current DCU led to it being "grandfathered" in to Gunn's DCU.

Actually, the idea of a Latino Blue Beetle being the first of this new DC Universe feels rather cool. It could definitely work. Ted Kord is in this too, isn’t it?

On 4/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, cax16 said:

So this turned out to be true after all. Just watched the trailer and it seems like a very standard young superhero story, but I can dig it. I see that Jamie is a Final Fantasy VII fan, lol. Color me cautiously optimistic for this one.

On 6/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, JustLurking said:

Bad idea and I think the character will be forgotten about if the film does poorly, which I expect.

Also, how can blue beetle be the first dcu character while superman is the first dcu movie? What?

I guess they could theoretically carry Blue Beetle over to the DCU but the more likely explanation is that Gunn is willing to/has to say anything to get people to turn up for these final DCEU movies.

• Like 1

Think we all know how this is going to do unless its randomly excellent. It looks so generic.

The trailer for Barbie played directly after this and it was beyond noticeable how much more creative and original Barbie looks. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Think we all know how this is going to do unless its randomly excellent. It looks so generic.

The trailer for Barbie played directly after this and it was beyond noticeable how much more creative and original Barbie looks. 

Yeah this looks like one of their nondescript productions that Netflix would shove in my face to get me to watch it. The character has 0 name recognition and not even WB execs understand how it ties into the “DCEU” anymore.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

So I’m guessing it’ll do well? I mean judging by the predictions you had for previous DC films 

• Like 1

The last six DCU films:

Birds of Prey... - box office flop (even without covid breakout it would lose money)

Wonder Woman 1984 - flop (during covid, but it still would have been a disappointment of the year after it's mixed reception among the fans and critics)

The Suicide Squad - bomb (even without HBO max premiere on day one  it wouldn't be a hit)

Black Adam - bomb!

Shazam! Fury of the Gods - BOMB!!

The Flash - bomb!!!

It must be some kind of record. I can't think of any other Hollywood franchise that has had as many box office failures in a row as DCU. Blue Beetle will be its 7th, here we go...

• Like 1