cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

Black Adam shouldn't be viewed as a bomb tbh, nobody knew or gave af about that character 

That is total nonsense.

any film that loses money is a bomb. That is what the word bomb means.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

That is total nonsense.

any film that loses money is a bomb. That is what the word bomb means.

THAT is total nonsense. Cleopatra was one of the highest grossing films of all-time upon release but lost money due to horrific financial management. 

Every one of these concepts has a certain amount of potential the studio is looking to realize. No-name characters such as Black Adam are never going to do $100m opening weekend etc performance on round 1. The studio bean counters dramatically overestimating the films potential or paying no attention to cost management doesn't make the film a 'bomb'. In hindsight - with Shazam and Flash in mind - we know that $67m opening weekend for Black Adam was no doubt on the higher end of that particular properties potential. A better film may have gotten into the $70 range but not much further. Runaway idiocy among WB accounting dept doesn't change that.  

These studios also know that with these lower name properties, ROI may be lower on film 1 while the character is established & that's a bullet which simply has to be bitten. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

THAT is total nonsense. Cleopatra was one of the highest grossing films of all-time upon release but lost money due to horrific financial management. 

Ok then Cleopatra was also a bomb. 

• Like 3

Sorry but this looks like a cheap CW movie, harsh truth, I saw the trailer on cinema and the CGI looks horrible. 

Whats with terrible CGI on CBM nowadays? the only CGI I have seen that is half decent was in The Batman.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, excel1 said:

Black Adam shouldn't be viewed as a bomb tbh, nobody knew or gave af about that character 

I know, Honestly I thought it did about what I thought it should have considering the character, did they really expect a $250m+ hit from a character that nobody cares about?

44 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Sorry but this looks like a cheap CW movie, harsh truth, I saw the trailer on cinema and the CGI looks horrible. 

Whats with terrible CGI on CBM nowadays? the only CGI I have seen that is half decent was in The Batman.

GOTG VOL 3 had good CGI. But yeah Flash and Ant-Man 3 had some pretty awful CGI.

After The Flash debacle, I really don't know what to expect for this one, I guess that the latin audience factor could push it to gross slightly more than Shazam 2 but that's not a win, it needs at least $240M to break even and right now that sounds like an uphill battle...

On 6/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, excel1 said:

Black Adam could've been saved by China. Honestly annoyed that The Rock was doing anything and everything to prevent BA from bombing except brokering a deal with Chinese authorities to let it release in the Middle Kingdom with a grand premiere.

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

Black Adam could've been saved by China. Honestly annoyed that The Rock was doing anything and everything to prevent BA from bombing except brokering a deal with Chinese authorities to let it release in the Middle Kingdom with a grand premiere.

I don't think so, aren't they so racist studios have to remove color protagonists from posters, and TLM bombed because of that?

The Rock has historically been a reliable draw in China, so the fact that BA wasn’t released there was a sting for sure. It still had bigger box office numbers than any other DCEU movie released after 2018, so maybe we were being too dismissive of The Rock. 

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

I don't think so, aren't they so racist studios have to remove color protagonists from posters, and TLM bombed because of that?

The Rock is one of the bigger Hollywood stars in China even if you exclude the Fast and Furious films. Looking at films where he was the lead, San Andreas and Skyscraper both grossed around $100 million in China while Rampage grossed over $150 million.

22 hours ago, Belakor said:

One of the biggest paradox in Hollywood is that as they become more and more reliant on VFX they have started treating the VFX industry worse and worse. Lots of horror stories coming out from people working there, someone posted on Reddit that his friend just quit the industry because he spent 8 months working on a project and almost everything he did was cut from the final product. If there comes a day where live action films cannot compete with animation (Japan already is experiencing it) this will be the main reason. 

Unfortunately, I can't see this doing much more than the Shazam sequel. Best case scenario imo would be around $30-35m OW and around $90m finish domestically, and maybe a bit more than that internationally for a $200m worldwide total.