cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

The DC brand has been valuable historically, it provided potential for plenty of monster openings, it's the DCEU who fucked it up. Now I wonder how valuable it is in 2023. Gunn will have his hands full trying to save the boat with the reboot no doubt.

One thing's for certain, DCEU brand atm is straight up poison, superman legacy really needs to bring a win for a successful reboot, otherwise I'm not sure what they do with everything that isn't a Batman film.

12 hours ago, Vector Sigma said:

I initially thought a break was what the DCU needed but now I just think the brand is toxic. Honestly, if they sold the brand I don’t even think you could get more than 2.5 billion for it. I’m not exactly Mark Cuban but these characters are tarnished. 

You are lucky that someone last year claimed WB could sell DC for $30B otherwise you would have the award for most outlandish DC valuation on this forum lol. 

In all seriousness Batman merchandise/licensing and The Batman and Joker sequels would easily be enough to give it at minimum a $4-5B valuation in my opinion. Now is not a great time to sell but Universal, Netflix and Paramount would likely be keen for DC I have to think especially Netflix as that would propel their merchandise and licensing division and give them another revenue stream. However I doubt DC is for sale and would be a bad time to sell not only in terms of costly debt for buyers but in terms of brand perception, you should never sell low and DC is at an all time low ... hopefully Joker 2, The Batman 2 and Superman Legacy get them back on track. 

20 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Oh man, I really missed this sort of astonishingly stupid takes from some BOT users.

I agree DC has not lived up to box office expectations, but point is the DCU has enormous potential cash cow possiblities if they can get is on track.Theproblem has not been the charecters themselves, but way too much poor execution. Properly executed they can be huge draws. Look at how well "The Batman" did.

And it is not like Warners has that many big franchises. One of their biggies, the Potterverse, has major problems. DC is still one of the best bets they have.

Edited by dudalb

9 hours ago, Potiki said:

You are lucky that someone last year claimed WB could sell DC for $30B otherwise you would have the award for most outlandish DC valuation on this forum lol. 

In all seriousness Batman merchandise/licensing and The Batman and Joker sequels would easily be enough to give it at minimum a $4-5B valuation in my opinion. Now is not a great time to sell but Universal, Netflix and Paramount would likely be keen for DC I have to think especially Netflix as that would propel their merchandise and licensing division and give them another revenue stream. However I doubt DC is for sale and would be a bad time to sell not only in terms of costly debt for buyers but in terms of brand perception, you should never sell low and DC is at an all time low ... hopefully Joker 2, The Batman 2 and Superman Legacy get them back on track. 

Batman 2 and Joker 2 take place outside the main DCU; it's Superman Legacy they are depending on to relaunch the DCU.

Edited by dudalb

It is hilarious seeing the pivoting from the earlier pages to now. You had people stating that this is going to be huge because it is giving Hispanic patrons. Even when people stated that Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Venezuelans are not the same and do not see each other as the same, you had people pushing against that. Now they are essentially agreeing with that same sentiment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

It is hilarious seeing the pivoting from the earlier pages to now. You had people stating that this is going to be huge because it is giving Hispanic patrons. Even when people stated that Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Venezuelans are not the same and do not see each other as the same, you had people pushing against that. Now they are essentially agreeing with that same sentiment 

Well that's not the reason we think it'll do bad now, because back then we assumed the movie would...be marketed like a major tentpole.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2023 at 3:45 AM, Potiki said:

Not that Warners is going to sell DC anyway . It is potentially one of their most valuable assets. I  see them unloading quite a few other assets before DC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I think that's less of an issue for the general audience. I think post pandemic audiences are just more choosy.

Streaming has cut deeply into  target sales..probably the  biggest hit to Theaters since the coming of TV.

I think the would have happened even if they had been no pandemic, it would have taken a couple more years to happen .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, martin said:

The reboot of dc news is too soon and ruin all current and soon DC movie since shazam2.

I gor a feeling, that The Flash would have flopped even if there was no reboot news out there.

On 7/23/2023 at 5:04 PM, SpiderByte said:

Well technically the lowest for DC is Steel, which didn't even crack a million.

Let's not forget Jonah Hex....I hate that film for messing up one of my favorite DC series.

Edited by dudalb

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well that's not the reason we think it'll do bad now, because back then we assumed the movie would...be marketed like a major tentpole.

They are not marketing it, as the charts say it will not cover the marketing budget.  My boss literally did his own research by asking people if they know who Blue Beetle is.  Other than me they were asking where the bugs were.