cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

2 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

RT fresh certification after less than 100 reviews? Too risky.

Didn't they do that with a previous DC movie and it lost certified status at one point? Might've been WW84?? I can't remember.

(But I think this will hold in the high 70s/low 80s)

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Don't remember if WW84 got certificate but the harsh and quick fall ... or yeah, it was impressive.

Just looked it up, that was it!
https://screenrant.com/rotten-tomatoes-movies-lose-fresh-rating-change-reason/

Upon its release back in late 2020, Wonder Woman 1984 managed to score an impressive 88% on the Tomatometer. This was enough to name the film "certified fresh" and encouraged more people to check out its simultaneous release in theaters and through HBO Max. However, within less than a month of its release, WW84's Rotten Tomatoes rating changed dramatically, plummeting to a mere 63% and losing it the "certified fresh" designation.

also

becoming "certified fresh" means having a rating of 70% or higher based on 80 reviews with at least five ratings from what the site calls its "top critics."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

It's amusing after all the drama and hype surrounding other DC films this year that little Blue Beetle turns out to be the good one from the bunch.

To be fair, the lower expectations, with this being a small movie, not a multiverse saga, or something that cost 250 million and had an enormous spotlight on it does mean the 3/5 ratings that might be rotten with those movies end up positive here because "meh, good enough" is acceptable for this. A 6.6 average rating seems to be pointing in that direction...

36 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just looked it up, that was it!
https://screenrant.com/rotten-tomatoes-movies-lose-fresh-rating-change-reason/

also

WW84 was so notorious they actually changed their system for wide released films. Not officially, but I believe recent big movies don't get certified fresh until they have hit well past 100 reviews or until opening night.

49 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Didn't they do that with a previous DC movie and it lost certified status at one point? Might've been WW84?? I can't remember.

(But I think this will hold in the high 70s/low 80s)

Joker also was certified fresh and then lost it. 

So it’s happened twice to DC films in recent years.

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Joker also was certified fresh and then lost it. 

So it’s happened twice to DC films in recent years.

I never knew the Joker lost it, I was always under the impression it was well received by the critics.

Also, the Joker has over 600 reviews on its tomatometer, woah, I had no idea they aggregated so many reviews nowadays. Are they just aggregating a lot more international reviews these days?

24 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I never knew the Joker lost it, I was always under the impression it was well received by the critics.

Also, the Joker has over 600 reviews on its tomatometer, woah, I had no idea they aggregated so many reviews nowadays. Are they just aggregating a lot more international reviews these days?

Nah they have included a loooot of less known and unknown domestic reviewers. They have let in pretty much anyone with a podcast, blog or a youtube channel to be a reviewer now. It's ridiculous. 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be fair, the lower expectations, with this being a small movie, not a multiverse saga, or something that cost 250 million and had an enormous spotlight on it does mean the 3/5 ratings that might be rotten with those movies end up positive here because "meh, good enough" is acceptable for this. A 6.6 average rating seems to be pointing in that direction...

It does seem like critics are giving this one the benefit of the doubt. Having seen The Flash though, that one sitting at 64% seems VERY generous. Maybe some "emperor's new clothes" effect going on with the early nerd critics who bought into the "one of the best CBMs ever" hype? Either way, I'm at least cautiously optimistic now that this may be good.

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Joker has a higher average rating than Blue Beetle (7.3 vs 6.5) despite having a lower percentage (69% vs 81%).

OK, Joker was nominated for Best Picture, too. It was very divisive, hence the low tomato score.

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Over or Under Dungeons and Dragons worldwide ($208M)?

Probably would've been a great club to create actually.

I'd say(hope) a bit over.

....And now I'm sad to be reminded how little that movie made.

• Like 1

The US media thought Joker was dangerous and would inspire/glorify mass shootings (lol), which explains the low RT score.

Outside of the US where US politics isn't a factor obviously, Joker received acclaim from critics.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2