Box Office Hit

Bob Marley Biopic | February 14, 2024 | Paramount | Kingsley Ben-Adir is Bob Marley

22 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

This has been out for 11 hours and nobody shared it. That's a great sign!

It's sad, this movie had so much Oscar potential but the studio dropped the ball by changing the date and now that Rustin is getting panned by critics (which Coleman Domingo was getting Oscar buzz for before the film was released) now there likely won;t be any black best actor nominees at the Oscars.

• Disbelief 1

Just saw an ad for this during football and it had the "this film is not yet rated" disclaimer.  Doesn't this come out in less than three weeks? Fandango lists it as Not Rated but AMC and Regal say it's PG-13. That seems right for this sort of biopic but are they just guessing? Is it rated, but Paramount just ran an old ad during a hugely watched game anyway??

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Just saw an ad for this during football and it had the "this film is not yet rated" disclaimer.  Doesn't this come out in less than three weeks? Fandango lists it as Not Rated but AMC and Regal say it's PG-13. That seems right for this sort of biopic but are they just guessing? Is it rated, but Paramount just ran an old ad during a hugely watched game anyway??

Yeah, I saw that too. Weird. Still, can’t say they aren’t spending a bunch marketing this thing, ads and trailers are everywhere. I guess we will see if it matters.

• Like 3

The marketing push for this has been insane for a movie releasing this time of year, but it really feels like there's no noticeable interest or buzz other than people talking about wanting to not see the trailers before every movie/during sporting events. If it's even average it'll likely do enough to recoup its budget but the general apathy is not encouraging. 

• Like 2

The ticket sales for this on Valentine's Day are absolutely robust near me but every single day over the extended holiday after that really pales in comparison. Suppose this really could end up being another Color Purple, especially if reviews aren't going to be of much help (no buzz 6 days away from release isn't a great sign).

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Saw it this morning and didn't like it. At most I suspect the general response could be a tepid positive, it's so tame and forgettable.

like every other music biopic then. Why is it so hard to get right as a genre? 

44 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

like every other music biopic then. Why is it so hard to get right as a genre? 

I gave it some credit within a minute of it starting because it's actually not a sweeping epic about Bob Marley's entire life like the other music biopics. It's focused on a specific period of it, which was initially a pleasant surprise. However it still injects all the necessary flashbacks to cover those beats later lol. And it still somehow brushes over major aspects of his life while never really finding a clear narrative through-line to go in. Marley is sooo passive in this.

• Like 1

It is getting absolutely thumped on the early reviews. People's general apathy/outright disdain towards the trailers with the mixed to bad reactions doesn't give me much encouragement that this will manage to slice it's way to a Color Purple-type domestic run. I haven't found any budget information for it except that it's under $80M.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:39 AM, Lucas said:

Saw it this morning and didn't like it. At most I suspect the general response could be a tepid positive, it's so tame and forgettable.

That was the feeling I got from the trailers; it would pass over or whitewash Marley's darker side imHO draning a lot of the potential.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:35 AM, SpiderByte said:

What the fuck is this movies ad budget I see ads for this everywhere 

I’m one of those olds who still listens to the radio on my drive to/from work and there was an ad for it on the radio this morning. I have not heard a radio spot for a film in a long, long time.

• Like 1