Eric Duncan

93rd Academy Award Nominations Thread

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

As I said actress is much, much harder to predict and that's why it's a fun race. McDormand is probably behind Carey Mulligan too. 

I was about to ask if Mulligan would even be there to accept the award if she were to win, but it turns out she's in the country shooting a movie at the moment so yes she would heh.

There's gonna be a lot of no-shows this year due to travel restrictions and the fact we're still in an ongoing pandemic. This whole "No Zoom" thing is nothing more than a desperate attempt to stop the inevitable massive ratings drop incoming due to no one caring this year. Nice to know we managed to have one controversy during arguably the quietest awards season ever, I guess.

• Like 1

Bad news for awards shows, if direct-to-streaming is the future of most contenders in the years to come: 

But this year’s lack of awareness comes with a perplexing twist. Since the pandemic has shut down most movie theaters, the majority of the best picture Oscar contenders — including “Sound of Metal,” “The Trial of the Chicago 7” and “Minari” — are currently available to rent or stream on Netflix, Amazon and other platforms.

But most of the general public has steered cleared of these films, even though people are spending more time at home than ever and starved for new content. After the best picture nominees were announced, industry researcher Guts + Data surveyed 1,500 active entertainment consumers — moviegoers, transactional home entertainment consumers and streaming consumers — to gauge their awareness of the films, using the title, stars and poster as prompts. More specifically, “awareness” was gauged by a binary “heard of” / “not heard of” option when presented with basic marquee facts, such as “The Father,” starring Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman and Mark Gatiss.

According to the survey, the most known best picture nominee was “Judas and the Black Messiah,” the HBO Max drama about Black Panther Party leader Fred Hampton, with just over 46% awareness. Netflix’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7” was second with 39% awareness, followed by Searchlight Pictures’ “Nomadland” with 35% awareness. Less than a quarter of those surveyed were familiar with Amazon Studios’ “The Sound of Metal” (23% awareness) and the Hollywood valentine “Mank” (18%), also on Netflix.

No one's watching the awards shows because they've barely heard of any of these movies. Are they "too small" in scope or do they just seem "not real" somehow? It would be interesting to know how these stats would compare to the last few Oscar seasons. 

Other films released during quarantine fared slightly better due to name recognition on their opening weekend, such as the sequel “Bill & Ted Face the Music” (50% awareness), the “X-Men” spinoff “The New Mutants” (43% awareness) and Christopher Nolan’s big budget “Tenet” (46% awareness).

Franchises and sequels have built-in recognition, from before. How much does a theatrical promo campaign/release add to general awareness of a movie? Even stuff like the weekend box office reports would get the name of a movie out there and kind of advertise it for the weeks to come, and for the home market. So much of awards publicity is about the long game and a movie going straight to streaming can be the opposite of that  

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Bad news for awards shows, if direct-to-streaming is the future of most contenders in the years to come: 

No one's watching the awards shows because they've barely heard of any of these movies. Are they "too small" in scope or do they just seem "not real" somehow? It would be interesting to know how these stats would compare to the last few Oscar seasons. 

Franchises and sequels have built-in recognition, from before. How much does a theatrical promo campaign/release add to general awareness of a movie? Even stuff like the weekend box office reports would get the name of a movie out there and kind of advertise it for the weeks to come, and for the home market. So much of awards publicity is about the long game and a movie going straight to streaming can be the opposite of that  

Movie theaters being closed for various periods of time across the country and pretty much everything becoming a glorified direct-to-VOD title has played a large part in the low awareness but the main reason it's so low is entirely due to reasons beyond their control. Movies (and by extension, awards show) have been rendered almost completely trivial to even the Oscar crowd while we've been dealing with an ongoing global health crisis that has claimed thousands of lives (along with racial violence and a whole lot of political drama) for the past year.

I mean, it makes a lot of sense that many viewers aren't gravitating toward the big awards movies despite the availability of just about all of them on one digital platform or another, be it streaming or PVOD. If you're someone whose movie-watching habits are based around watching something for the sake of fun and escapism, virtually all the major contenders are too serious to fit that bill. On top of that, I would guess that the need for escapism and the aversion to serious/challenging material have probably both been exacerbated in the midst of the pandemic.

That said, I think there's also something to be said for the visibility of some of these films on their respective platforms. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt like Netflix didn't push Mank nearly as hard as its other originals bowing around the same timeframe (which I get - a stylized drama about the writing of Citizen Kane isn't an easy sell outside the film buff contingent), and I had no idea what Sound of Metal even was or where to find it until I saw other people raving about it online. Outside of streaming, it also felt like The Father barely existed until nomination morning. I did an "oh yeah, that's supposed to be coming out" double-take when my local theaters got it the weekend before nomination announcement, and sure enough, there was only one other person in the auditorium when I went to see it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Movie theaters being closed for various periods of time across the country and pretty much everything becoming a glorified direct-to-VOD title has played a large part in the low awareness but the main reason it's so low is entirely due to reasons beyond their control. Movies (and by extension, awards show) have been rendered almost completely trivial to even the Oscar crowd while we've been dealing with an ongoing global health crisis that has claimed thousands of lives (along with racial violence and a whole lot of political drama) for the past year.

Maybe, but there have been breakout TV events since Covid (Tiger King, The Queen's Gambit, Bridgerton, to name a few) and a series takes up even more of a person's time than a movie. The Emmy ratings also sucked this past year, but you didn't get the same lament that "there weren't any new TV shows" like you did with the film world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe, but there have been breakout TV events since Covid (Tiger King, The Queen's Gambit, Bridgerton, to name a few) and a series takes up even more of a person's time than a movie. The Emmy ratings also sucked this past year, but you didn't get the same lament that "there weren't any new TV shows" like you did with the film world.

The 2020 Emmy Awards dropped 25% from the 2019 ceremony (which itself saw a noticeable drop from 2018), which doesn't seem that bad all things considered, but it was also the first major awards show since the pandemic started (and thus had novelty/curiosity factors to it that the rest haven't) and most of the buzzy titles made it in time for the deadline. Gonna guess this year's ceremony will be the one that really feels the pain like the rest have.

Edited by filmlover

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The 2020 Emmy Awards dropped 25% from the 2019 ceremony (which itself saw a noticeable drop from 2018), which doesn't seem that bad all things considered, but it was also the first major awards show since the pandemic started (and thus had novelty/curiosity factors to it that the rest haven't) and most of the buzzy titles made it in time for the deadline. Gonna guess this year's ceremony will be the one that really feels the pain like the rest have.

I actually think the Emmys have had the opposite problem from the Oscars in recent years, that there are too many shows scattered across premium channels/streaming and it's been hard for the general public to keep up. But the experience of watching TV hasn't been affected as drastically by Covid as moviegoing--if anything, it gave it a boost (more time at home)--so it would make sense that the Emmys ratings drop wasn't so bad.

A big part of awards coverage is the fashion, the red carpet experience, and there is some of that depending on the nominees/presenters, but it's just not the same with Zoom and social distancing. So even if the movies were popular and well known, that element is missing and that audience is gone.

It's just a tough year for the Academy, I'm not sure how much frame rate and aspect ratio changes are going to help the telecast.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Some surprise and spoiler at the BAFTA.

Frances Mcdormand won best actress; meaning all major awards gave best actress to different actress. GG: Andra, SAG: Viola, CC: Carey, BAFTA: Frances.

Hopkins get best actor but I don't think this affect Boseman chance. Luckily Hopkins did win Oscar before, if not he will pose a major threat to Boseman.  

Best supporting actress race is getting clear and likely go to Youn 

Nomadland continues its sweep for Best Film and Best Director.   

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

I was a little skeptical of the director's pick for The Eternals but I really enjoyed Nomadland. It made me look forward to her MCU debut. 

Edited by lilmac

On 4/11/2021 at 8:48 PM, titanic2187 said:

Some surprise and spoiler at the BAFTA.

Frances Mcdormand won best actress; meaning all major awards gave best actress to different actress. GG: Andra, SAG: Viola, CC: Carey, BAFTA: Frances.

Hopkins get best actor but I don't think this affect Boseman chance. Luckily Hopkins did win Oscar before, if not he will pose a major threat to Boseman.  

Best supporting actress race is getting clear and likely go to Youn 

Nomadland continues its sweep for Best Film and Best Director.   

I normally watch the BAFTA’s every year, but I gave up half way through last nights broadcast and just caught up with the winners on Deadline. It was all so predictably dull, with bland hosts and unenthusiastic Zoom’s. The only highlight was Yuh-Jung Youn’s acceptance speech where she called Brits “snobs”. The producers of the Oscars really have their work cut out for them this year. 

• Like 1

Whilst Nomadland continues to sweep, I can't help but to think Promising Young Woman is a potential spoiler. One disadvantage nomadland have here is the lack of firm support in adapted screenplay category. We all know screenplay category is now far more important than director category. Since the adoption of preferential ballot, directing matches BP 6 times out of 11. 4 of which are actually clean sweep of both screenplay and director.  At the same time, screenplay matches BP winner for 9 times! The perceived front runner in recent year such as revenant, la la land, roma and 1917 all failed to prevail because of one similarity. They failed to have support from screenplay category. Spotlight, moonlight, green book, parasite managed to upset as they picking up steam for screenplay win, Even in the case of Three billboard vs shape of water, the former lose its steam as the film lose its grip on screenplay category to get out towards the end of the award season.

In summary, I think we are still underestimating the relevance of screenplay win in ultimate BP winner. Promising young woman look certain to grab that original screenplay and carey is looking for best actress win. This is more than enough to win BP just like 12 years a slave, green book, moonlight. But of course, Trial of chicago 7 could prevail as winner for original screenplay (which has become less likely),  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Someone really has to praise Promising Young Woman's PR team. The fact that no controversy has gained traction during awards season is insane.

Nomadland is the movie most prone to controversy because it's the Best Picture frontrunner and the claws are usually out for them. Although the fact this season is completely devoid of frivolous controversies that will disappear and never be spoken of again after Sunday speaks volumes to how little anyone cares this year. Just give the winners their trophies and go home.

The only real world chatter this year has been about all the controversies related to the Golden Globes/HFPA the past few months and how badly their whole troubled system needs to be burned to the ground and start over.

• Like 1