Eric is Quiet

House of the Dragon | GOT Spin-off | Season 2 June 2024

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The Stepstones part of the episode felt a little shaky, since it kinda glossed over how after three years Daemon and Corlys were losing, yet also simultaneously had the Crabfeeder's forces pinned into a cave network on a single island. If the original issue was that the Crabfeeder's pirates were assaulting Westerosi ships, then by blockading them to a single part of a single island haven't you met the conditions for victory? Just bottle them up and let them starve.

I’d guess that Crabfeeder had the advantage on supplies considering there are three Free Cities are a lot closer than Driftmark is, so they could hold out longer than the Velaryons could.

Also, at the beginning of the episode Tyland says that the fleet is still being hit by the pirates at night. Pinning them down hasn’t completely resolved the problem. And that Crabfeeder’s mercenaries are leaving in droves, which is probably why Daemon and Coryls have been fighting for years since the army was previously stronger.

The first episode of the prequel has been watched by just more than 4M people, according to Sky, beating the 2011 launch of the first Game of Thrones. 

According to UK ratings agency Barb, this figure places House of the Dragon on a par with the likes of Netflix’s Stranger Things and Disney+’s Obi Wan-Kenobi.

source: https://deadline.com/2022/09/house-of-the-dragon-game-of-thrones-viewing-records-1235108852/

The is for UK and should add Australia viewership below:

House of the Dragon has set a new viewing record with 1.235 million viewers watching the first episode on FOXTEL and BINGE since premiering last Monday (August 22).

Monday’s first episode also became the biggest premiere for any show in history across FOXTEL and BINGE and continued to grow across the week as people caught up on demand. 

Source (August 30th): https://www.adnews.com.au/news/house-of-the-dragon-breaks-viewing-records

Sorry the formatting is a bit messed up copied and pasted from the streaming tracking thread. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1

And this is not the only TV series Martin is involved in. He is also one of the  producers of "Dark Winds" over at AMC, a YV series based on Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels. This was a labor of love for Martin,since he was friends with Hillerman before the Latter's death. It also gives him a chance for something completly different then his usual  Fantasy/Sci fi stuff.

Edited by dudalb

Excellent episode, really, really enjoying this so far. I saw the IGN review mention that it needs more action, but I couldn’t disagree more, GoT was only rarely about action during its best seasons, to the point where when action did happen, it hit like a brick. Give me more of this slow, character driven intrigue any day over a show that substitutes action for story. 

• Like 2

Watched the first two episodes. I’m neither a LotR nor a GoT fanboy, but it’s ridiculous that Rings Of Power and House Of Dragon got similar reviews. The latter is so superior at basic storytelling it’s barely worth debating. Actual characters with clear motivations and conflicts who you care about - what a novelty! 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Watched the first two episodes. I’m neither a LotR nor a GoT fanboy, but it’s ridiculous that Rings Of Power and House Of Dragon got similar reviews. The latter is so superior at basic storytelling it’s barely worth debating. Actual characters with clear motivations and conflicts who you care about - what a novelty!

I'm honestly really skeptical of that number Amazon gave out for Rings of Power, its very conveniently the exact same number that HBO says the House of the Dragon premiere got over the course of its first week.  And I didn't see the third episode of Rings Of Power trend on social media this past Thursday night/Friday the way GOT/HOTD does every Sunday.

The few third party numbers we did get from Samba TV had HOTD more than doubling ROP with 4.8 million to 1.8 million.  This isn't across all devices, but thats still a huge discrepancy.

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm honestly really skeptical of that number Amazon gave out for Rings of Power, its very conveniently the exact same number that HBO says the House of the Dragon premiere got over the course of its first week.  And I didn't see the third episode of Rings Of Power trend on social media this past Thursday night/Friday the way GOT/HOTD does every Sunday.

The few third party numbers we did get from Samba TV had HOTD more than doubling ROP with 4.8 million to 1.8 million.  This isn't across all devices, but thats still a huge discrepancy.

I might be mistaken, but I believe we haven't seen any worldwide numbers for HOTD. To my understanding, the 10M it did in its first day and 20M it did in its first ~6 days were only based on US viewing. ROP's 25M viewers in its first day was a worldwide number

13 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The costuming in this show is insanely good, sometimes I feel like I'm watching and admiring the outfits more than listening to the dialogue.

I noticed while rewatching episode 4 before I played the new episode that the king’s outfit was pretty spectacular when he was grilling his brother in the throne room.