Water Bottle

NEW CHIEF ADMIN!

• Community Manager

Hello BOT community. Today I have some news to share with y'all. I am stepping aside as "Chief Admin" and instead taking a different role in the staff. I remember as a small-time poster from Box Office Mojo being extremely discouraged when we found out that BOM decided it wasn't worth bringing back it's forums. I remember helping Shawn set up the forum and in exchange he hired me as a moderator. My original idea was simply to moderate the TV forum but I think Shawn and I meshed together very well so I became an Admin then when he stepped back because he got too busy, the Chief Admin role. I would run the forum day to day while he remained as owner. For years, that worked well. I love BOT, the community, and movies so I was really happy with this role.

But times change. I've started to get more and more busy and have had less and less time for BOT. I think I've also maybe gotten burned out a bit and it's gotten to the point where instead of checking into BOT daily, I would sometimes not get on the forums for days. I believe these forums deserve an active leader who is present every day and I don't think I can be that person anymore. As such, I told Shawn a few months ago that it was my intention to step down from running the forum day-to-day but if he wanted, I could remain as a more advisor/technical help guy. But first I wanted to find at least one person who I felt comfortable handing the keys to the forum.

I will be remaining on the staff largely to help Shawn deal with technical issues as well as to help with sales and trying to bring donations back up: donations have completely shriveled in the face of the pandemic but now that movies are coming back, I hope you lot decide to help support us! Otherwise we will be very dependent on ad revenue to help pay the bills. Finally, I will occasionally help with settling any disputes but this won't be my primary role. 

I'd like to welcome @Cap as the new Chief Admin. As a moderator, I thought she was doing an excellent job. I think she has a good head on her shoulders, is active, and I think loves the community as much as I do. And like she once said, this site is about movies. It's supposed to be fun! So I brought her on as a Junior Admin a few months ago with the purpose of giving her experience in the hopes that she would eventually ascend to be the captain of the ship now...pun intended. As such, she is now in charge of the day-to-day running of the forum.

I think she will do a wonderful job. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
  • Astonished 4

I want thank @Water Bottle for everything he has done over the years, and for trusting me with this endeavor!!

I am literally walking into the Ford dealership to buy my Mach E right now, so I will write up a nice post in a couple hours. But,

tl;dr:

Captain Phillips GIF

😂😂😘😘

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 2

I also want to to give a hearty thank you to @Water Bottle for quite literally everything he's done.  He's been a fantastic steward for this board and I salute him for his service.  Also glad to hear that he'll be sticking around and continuing to lend his expertise as well as sticking around to get folks to contribute to this site.  

As for @Cap?  I like to imagine this was the scene as she ascended:

highlander-quickening.gif?resize=392,294

(tried to find a good gif of Amanda chopping off a head and getting a quickening from the TV series, but alas....)

Cap has the love of movies, a love of this community, and the level head to put up with all of us Yahoos be able to deal with our little eccentricities and thus to quote Han Solo "Better her than me!" she is a perfect choice, IMO.  She may have large shoes to fill, but I think she be an excellent captain of this ship. 👍

• Like 12
56 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

should I be worried for not liking TFATWS.

Nah, @Cap's not the type to hold grudges.

*flash forward to Jat in a couple of months*

tenor.gif?itemid=13733212

You'll be fine, I'm sure. 👍 👍 👍 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

should I be worried for not liking TFATWS.

IDK, should you? 

Marvel Studios Falling GIF by Disney+

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

As for @Cap?  I like to imagine this was the scene as she ascended:

MORE LIKE:

tenor.gif

😇

Hello!

Thank you all for this opportunity.  I won't front, I'm a little daunted by the whole endeavor.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  My moderating philosophy is I think we have a phenomenal user base, and I want a lighter touch so people feel free to engage in robust and lively discussions.  This place ultimately is about movies and cinema, television and streaming, and it Should. Be. Fun.  I am all for Art Gratis Artis, but it's called entertainment.  As we have seen through this incredibly difficult pandemic, people turn to the arts for solace, escapism, and joy.  I don't want to ever loose sight of that while we're in the weeds arguing about if Disney is evil or EVIIIIIIL.

That said, do not mistake this principle for "while the cats are away the mice will play". I have zero tolerance for Bullying.  The moderating staff will bring down Mjolnir faster than one can blink if we think a user is creating a toxic environment that's harming our users.

I’ve been deeply obsessed with television and fandom since I started watching this show called Alias (it was by this dude called JJ Abrams, wonder what happened to him).  For a while I thought I wanted to do it, live the dream and all.  Went to the New York Film Academy for screenwriting intensive, before graduating from the Vancouver Film School in Writing For Film and Television.

I bummed around Los Angeles for a couple years, worked for The Weinstein Company (I only saw Harvey once at a party.  I looked at him and ran in the other direction) and a YouTube Channel founded by this guy named John M Chu (again, wonder what happened to him).  After not getting a gig as a writers’ assistant on a network show, I kind of reassessed.  Realized I wasn’t going to spend $60k a year for USC just to access their alumni network, so I packed up and moved home.  

Continued to work as a PA on a couple independent features while I finished my Media Studies BA.  Then I started to do an independent web series project that took up all my time and money. I did that until basically I was the last woman standing, and exhausted.  Then, one day, I woke up and signed up for my real estate license.  Now that's what I do.

I never really lost my love of Hollywood.  I think it's why I took such a liking to BOT when I first discovered it in 2017 after Wonder Woman.  It felt like this delightful amalgamation of Hollywood gossip, data analytics, film snobbery, and fandom tomfoolery.  (All of my favorite things!) There's really no other place like it on the Internet, and I am really excited and hopeful to help it continue to prosper, even in the uncertain times we live in.

Theaters are re-opening, and we have a stacked 2021 with In The Heights, Eternals, F9, Eternals, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Eternals, Snake Eyes, Eternals, Jungle Cruise, Eternals, Suicide Squad, Eternals, Respect, Eternals, Candyman, Eternals, Shang-Chi and The Ten Rings, Eternals, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, Eternals, Let There Be Carnage, Eternals, Dune, Eternals, Top Gun: Maverick, Eternals, House of Gucci, Eternals, Matrix 4, and ETERNALS.  

We have enough films that -- if the industry ever goes back to reporting Numbers consistently -- we could reopen The Summer and Winter Games!

In the meantime while we wait for Eternals:

And of course:

So here's to a New Chapter for BOT.  I hope it's as fabulous as the previous ones.

Captain America Dance GIF by Nerdist.com

• Like 26
4 minutes ago, Cap said:

IDK, should you? 

Marvel Studios Falling GIF by Disney+

MORE LIKE:

tenor.gif

😇

Hello!

Thank you all for this opportunity.  I won't front, I'm a little daunted by the whole endeavor.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  My moderating philosophy is I think we have a phenomenal user base, and I want a lighter touch so people feel free to engage in robust and lively discussions.  This place ultimately is about movies and cinema, television and streaming, and it Should. Be. Fun.  I am all for Art Gratis Artis, but it's called entertainment.  As we have seen through this incredibly difficult pandemic, people turn to the arts for solace, escapism, and joy.  I don't want to even loose sight of that while we're in the weeds arguing about if Disney is evil or EVIIIIIIL.

That said, do not mistake this principle for "while the cats are away the mice will play". I have zero tolerance for Bullying.  The moderating staff will bring down Mjolnir faster than one can blink if we think a user is creating a toxic environment that's harming our users.

I’ve been deeply obsessed with television and fandom since I started watching this show called Alias (it was by this dude called JJ Abrams, wonder what happened to him).  For a while I thought I wanted to do it, live the dream and all.  Went to the New York Film Academy for screenwriting intensive, before graduating from the Vancouver Film School in Writing For Film and Television.

I bummed around Los Angeles for a couple years, worked for The Weinstein Company (I only saw Harvey once at a party.  I looked at him and ran in the other direction) and a YouTube Channel founded by this guy named John M Chu (again, wonder what happened to him).  After not getting a gig as a writers’ assistant on a network show, I kind of reassessed.  Realized I wasn’t going to spend $60k a year for USC just to access their alumni network, so I packed up and moved home.  

Continued to work as a PA on a couple independent features while I finished my Media Studies BA.  Then I started to do an independent web series project that took up all my time and money. I did that until basically I was the last woman standing, and exhausted.  Then, one day, I woke up and signed up for my real estate license.  Now that's what I do.

I never really lost my love of Hollywood.  I think it's why I took such a liking to BOT when I first discovered it in 2017 after Wonder Woman.  It felt like this delightful amalgamation of Hollywood gossip, data analytics, film snobbery, and fandom tomfoolery.  (All of my favorite things!) There's really no other place like it on the Internet, and I am really excited and hopeful to help it continue to prosper, even in the uncertain times we live in.

Theaters are re-opening, and we have a stacked 2021 with In The Heights, Eternals, F9, Eternals, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Eternals, Snake Eyes, Eternals, Jungle Cruise, Eternals, Suicide Squad, Eternals, Respect, Eternals, Candyman, Eternals, Shan-Chi, Eternals, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, Eternals, Let There Be Carnage, Eternals, Dune, Eternals, Top Gun: Maverick, Eternals, House of Gucci, Eternals, Matrix 4, and ETERNALS.  

We have enough films that -- if the industry ever goes back to reporting Numbers consistently -- we could reopen The Summer and Winter Games!

In the meantime while we wait for Eternals:

And of course:

So here's to a New Chapter for BOT.  I hope it's as fabulous as the previous ones.

Captain America Dance GIF by Nerdist.com

Great Job Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

(A) delightful amalgamation of Hollywood gossip, data analytics, film snobbery, and fandom tomfoolery.

If this isn't the new site motto, like pronto, what are we even doing here?

(back to reading the rest of the excellent post)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

On 6/5/2021 at 5:50 PM, Cap said:

I want thank @Water Bottle for everything he has done over the years, and for trusting me with this endeavor!!

I am literally walking into the Ford dealership to buy my Mach E right now, so I will write up a nice post in a couple hours. But,

tl;dr:

Captain Phillips GIF

😂😂😘😘

You got quite the sign on bonus huh😗

• Haha 1