grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean yeah but they were the only films being played so #1 didn't real much

Cool. The actual numbers from those openings were also good for pandemic standards. Tom and Jerry, GvK, Mortal Kombat, and Conjuring 3 all had some of the best pandemic debuts. Not sure why you’re trying to downplay this stuff.

Regardless, we’re all going off topic here. Take this convo to the Classic Conversation thread folks

• Like 4

In the Heights will easily manage a #1 opening but anything over $20M would definitely fall under the "great" category all things considered. It wouldn't have opened higher than the $25-30M range even in the alternate universe where it opened on June 26 last year against Top Gun and would have been all about staying power as @grim22 said.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

both of you are right. summer so far has been carried by horror and is going to be carried by Disney for most part as is the case in normalcy and now that normalcy is here.

don’t Disney only have Black Widow, Jungle Cruise and Free Guy?

I can guarantee Jungle Cruise and Free Guy won’t be as big as A Quiet Place 2. 

anyway, yeh back to tracking. 

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

don’t Disney only have Black Widow, Jungle Cruise and Free Guy?

I can guarantee Jungle Cruise and Free Guy won’t be as big as A Quiet Place 2. 

anyway, yeh back to tracking. 

Yeah but then we have only 3 months of Summer left and usually Disney has like 2-3 releases in June-August.  I forget Luca isn't releasing in theaters in USA, so essentially Black Widow and Jungle Cruise. BW is easily Summer's biggest, NGL Jungle Cruise hardly looks interesting but can always spring a surprise.

Immediately in Sep we have Shang Chi though.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

SLOP2 did $2.3M previews to $16.4M OD, previews being 14% of OD, and $46.65M weekend during similar weekend. 

If PR2 follows that, given required adjustments, can do $5M OD may be and $14M OW, around 65% adjusting for Canada of original Peter Rabbit.

Australia OW of PR2 was around 72% of Peter Rabbit 1.

In fact, UK  PR2 OW was 52% of PR1.

In high end may be even $16M OW, that will be almost 70% adjusting for Canada.

So better than UK and par Aus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

SLOP2 did $2.3M previews to $16.4M OD, previews being 14% of OD, and $46.65M weekend during similar weekend. 

If PR2 follows that, given required adjustments, can do $5M OD may be and $14M OW, around 65% adjusting for Canada of original Peter Rabbit. Australia OW of PR2 was around 72% of Peter Rabbit 1, so not much of difference.

In high end may be even $16M OW, that will be almost 70% adjusting for Canada.

Weren’t SLOP2 previews 3.2M?

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 73 848 8.61%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 72 1665 4.32%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
475 26 12923 3.68% 15 63

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 9.66M

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 83 848 9.79%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 78 1665 4.68%

517 42 12923 4.00% 15 63

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 9.47M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Got my ticket for opening night in Dolby. It's already selling extremely well everywhere I'm looking. 

Gonna be curious to see how it compares to Captain Marvel's first day numbers locally, though there's a giant asterisk next to CM's first day given it was 59 days out when it went on sale.  Had already sold 589 tickets as of 11am this morning, when I finished setting up my sheets.

Taking a super quick glance at Cen Arden right now, I see it's still doing very brisk business at the top showings. Don't have time to see how it's doing at the more pedestrian showtimes/locations.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8

Black Widow Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 137 1980 6.92%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 153 1939 7.89%

598 N/A 21278 2.81% 15 112

7 hours and it's already ahead of Fast 9...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 4

So I have yet to decide if I want to start tracking again (I am still SOOOOOO DEPRESSED about my theater!!).  But, quick look at the AMC Boston Commons for Widow:

IMAX: 

image2.png image0.png

DOLBY:

image1.png image.png

There's only like 3 seats sold for 3D and 1 for Standard Format.  Which means sense.  Premium always goes first for Marvel.

ETA/ANOTHER THOUGHT:

I should note that a MAJORITY of the premium theaters in the REGION are still closed.  Cinemagic -- which had 2 IMAX and 8 other recliner theaters -- is temporary out of the business.  Regal has yet to open the RPX Theater in Newington.  Jordan's Furniture IMAX is still closed.  So, basically, for the diehards, it's Boston or Bust.  Which might be why these are looking so good.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I just want to say that while my own theatre counts aren't happening for a while, its great to see that people are going back to theatres and getting back to...well whatever normal will be. Its enjoyable to watch people get back to the theatres, and as counts become more available again. The added streaming/opening in theatres will be an interesting new aspect to consider as we all count and speculate about which will affect what. Enjoy the return to theatres over the summer everyone, I will read and follow with great interest.:popcorn:

• Like 2

I looked at my local to start tracking again with BW but then I saw all the lined out not for sale seats and realized I'd have to do a seat count of all the screens again and well...  maybe in a week or two.

Edit:  FWIW my theater has sold 84 tickets over 6 screens as of 6pm for Thur Previews

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yep should be case elsewhere too.

I am being lazy here. Can you and @Porthos post the final numbers you guys had for Post Pandemic flicks, GvK, AQP2 and Cruella.

Didn't track Cruella to the end, but GvK and AQP II:

On 3/31/2021 at 4:35 PM, Porthos said:

Godzilla Vs. Kong Greater Sacramento Area Opening Day Seat Report: OPENING DAY FINAL REPORT [4:00 - 4:25]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

87.24%

On 5/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:

PREMIERE NIGHT FINAL REPORT [4:15pm - 4:55pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

60.92%

EDIT:::

Did an updated sample about an hour ago, and Black Widow is currently at 1189 tickets sold (34 are DBOX seats, which weren't tracked for either AQP II or GvK)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Did an updated sample about an hour ago, and Black Widow is currently at 1189 tickets sold (34 are DBOX seats, which weren't tracked for either AQP II or GvK)

so Sacramento is also higher than F9. If @Eric is Full of Pride, @Ezen Baklattan and @el sid numbers also come higher I will be a lot comfortable in making the claim that BW pre-sales in 1 day are over F9 overall so far.

I am asking final number to see just how much the area you guys track make of National numbers. 

Sactown was 0.9% for GVK while AQP2 was 0.75%.  Which make sense since GvK had lesser areas open on WED than AQP2. F9 pre-sales are $10K in Sactown which means roughly $1.15-1.25M nationwide. Considering how FFH sales were $1.1M on first day 2 months before release, BW doing well over that should make sense since it is opening sales much closer to release than FFH.

Looking up Sact CSA makes 0.8% population of USA, so that's even more in line.

• Like 5