Eric S'ennui

The Last Voyage of the Demeter | Universal | August 11, 2023

As I said in the tracking thread, the reviews in Germany are quite good.
My favorite site rated it 80%. They say e.g. that nobody on board is safe, so it's a very exiting film, the atmosphere is good and it has not excessively many jump scares but is very consequent and pretty bloody.

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

The concept is SO F*CKING GOOD for a Dracula movie (shocked no ones done it before), that I'd still go see it even with 0% ratings ha. 

Uh, many movies with good concepts have sucked. It is all about the execution.

• Like 1

Yea this was fine. I enjoyed watching it, but to be fair it hasn’t really stuck with me. Great production values, it’s definitely an expensive-looking movie. And I think it could have been a great one with another draft of the script refining some of the characters and relationships to make some of the pivotal moments storytelling-wise work better. 

Also they showed the monster way too often/early.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Also they showed the monster way too often/early.

It seems like it has great elements but it shows its hand too early. Pity, I didn't realize it was R-rated until yesterday and that made me more interested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morieris said:

It seems like it has great elements but it shows its hand too early. Pity, I didn't realize it was R-rated until yesterday and that made me more interested.

Well, to be honest, I think almost everybody going to see the movie is going to know what will happen. They know the basic hand going in. That makes generating suspense harder.

• Like 1

Even with the twist apparent, there was enough here to like for me.   There were a few things that you could rationalize and make sense of as the movie progressed regarding Dracula.

lo l@ them clearly trying to kick off the Dark Universe a THIRD time .... it ain't happening. Pity, because I'd watch more. I was more engaged and interested in this than Chevalier or Mario, so it's a firm #5 of the year for me.