CJohn

Wednesday Numbers: Titanic 4.75 THG 4.6

I am not going to explain it anymore. If you want to post here, then do some of your own thinking.

Sorry to break it to you but you're telling stuff that i'm sure the majority here knows. Yes, it's probably going to have a good weekend relative to the OD, that's why nobody is predicting a weekend in the (high) teens. But that is beside the point.

Why all this nonsense ranting all over the places? What are people really saying in here, cuz I don't get how anything over 70m would be dissapointing for a re-release and how people can say this re-release is gonna flop just because of wednesday numbers that are below your insane high expectations for a re-release. Shrek made 11,8m on wednesday and went on to gross 441m total even though it wasn't in the same case as this one, it's still a valuable lesson about not jumping the rope on a movie.

Why all this nonsense ranting all over the places? What are people really saying in here, cuz I don't get how anything over 70m would be dissapointing for a re-release and how people can say this re-release is gonna flop just because of wednesday numbers that are below your insane high expectations for a re-release. Shrek made 11,8m on wednesday and went on to gross 441m total even though it wasn't in the same case as this one, it's still a valuable lesson about not jumping the rope on a movie.

I would hit the like button...if there was one ;)

I don't have a problem with rereleases actually. It's the fact that it's in 3D. Like really? James Cameron annoys the crap out of me too. I also prefer rereleases over bad movies, but the 3D pisses me off. And I understand you can watch in 2D, but it's like never offered here.

You mad,

I don't have a problem with rereleases actually. It's the fact that it's in 3D. Like really? James Cameron annoys the crap out of me too. I also prefer rereleases over bad movies, but the 3D pisses me off. And I understand you can watch in 2D, but it's like never offered here.

You mad, bro' ?

So THG breaks out of my 8-12% range by a little.No huge drop like some thought but then, that was never in play, so depending on how other movies fared we'll see if it's a good number.As for Titanic, the only reason people still think it can leg out is because it originally did so in1997. I'd be surprised if it did it again since this is far from the same thing.

• Founder / Operator

How is it possible to get such different reactions to the number?

Unrealistic expectations and a certain lack of perspective, IMHO. If it ends up front-loaded, then yes, the number would have been a little disappointing but it will still end up a huge financial success.But realistically, there was never much reason to expect a re-release to pull a huge number on a Wednesday -- especially when most people get Friday off for the holiday weekend, meaning less incentive to go the movies on a Wednesday night. Plus, not all of the marketing materials even advertised the April 4th date.The Titanic number is just fine. Its pretty good, in fact. Edited by ShawnMR

Unrealistic expectations and a certain lack of perspective, IMHO. If it ends up front-loaded, then yes, the number would have been a little disappointing but it will still end up a huge financial success.But realistically, there was never much reason to expect a re-release to pull a huge number on a Wednesday -- especially when most people get Friday off for the holiday weekend, meaning less incentive to go the movies on a Wednesday night. Plus, not all of the marketing materials even advertised the April 4th date.The Titanic number is just fine. Its pretty good, in fact.

See, you have a nicer way of saying it than I do. :)

Unrealistic expectations and a certain lack of perspective, IMHO. If it ends up front-loaded, then yes, the number would have been a little disappointing but it will still end up a huge financial success.But realistically, there was never much reason to expect a re-release to pull a huge number on a Wednesday -- especially when most people get Friday off for the holiday weekend, meaning less incentive to go the movies on a Wednesday night. Plus, not all of the marketing materials even advertised the April 4th date.The Titanic number is just fine. Its pretty good, in fact.

Well.. when you put it that way it makes it trolly and rude to argue with you.

Get what you're saying Shawn but somehow it feels different.It's like the same arguments are being used for a lower number. Sure, they can be used but the difference between getting to $150m from a $30m 5 day and a $50m 5 day is huge. This is an example, I'm not sure what the predictions were.To make it clearer, it's like saying don't worry, though Avengers only opened to $80m it will still finish with $400m even though most predictions started off with $140m to get to that $400m mark.