MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Smells like an 8 Oscar nomination type of film. Murphy might be s strong contender as well.

If Cillian is really showing it all here, he probably won't win. Unscientific data but it makes sense if you think about the Academy membership historically, which is probably why women don't have the same "problem" in the Actress categories.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m sorry Chris but you are full of shit on this one. You really don’t need this sort of pompous shit to hype your film, man. You had us at hello already.

Although Derrickson is far more diplomatic than I am, I’m siding with actual Visual Effect people on this one (Curiously, other than Doctor Strange, Ceretti has worked on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and his next work is Superman: Legacy).

6 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Smells like an 8 Oscar nomination type of film. Murphy might be s strong contender as well.

More like 13:

Picture

Director

Adapted Screenplay

Lead Actor

Supporting Actor

Supporting Actress

Cinematography

Production Design

Costume Design

Film Editing

Sound

Original Score

VFX

Edited by ringedmortality

47 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah I’m sorry Chris but you are full of shit on this one. You really don’t need this sort of pompous shit to hype your film, man. You had us at hello already.

Although Derrickson is far more diplomatic than I am, I’m siding with actual Visual Effect people on this one (Curiously, other than Doctor Strange, Ceretti has worked on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and his next work is Superman: Legacy).

I mean I don't doubt that this film has zero CGI shots (meaning shots made up entirely of CGI). Tenet and Dunkirk didn't either.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean I don't doubt that this film has zero CGI shots (meaning shots made up entirely of CGI). Tenet and Dunkirk didn't either.

That’s blatant ignorance of what CGI is and what does. Ignorance that Nolan seems cool with passing it on and his fanboys hilariously eat it up. I love the man, I love his films, but that’s non sense and disrespectful with the people that work on his films.

It’s the whole three acts of a ‘magic’ act that Nolan has been doing his whole career, but when it comes at the cost of people’s work on his films to make it him look cooler it’s not cute, I’m glad VFX people are talking about it on film threads / old place today.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Again, no one said the movie has absolutely no CGI. Just that there’s a difference between a CGI shot and a shot that uses CGI. 

Nolan said that there was no CGI on his film. He is lying and not accurate about this. And I give him too much credit that he’s ignorant about this either. Like I’ve said, he is full of shit on this particular matter, and he truly doesn’t need this kind of stunt to get people hyped on his films. Tenet had CGI. Oppenheimer has CGI. CGI is literally everywhere when it comes to major productions, even on films we don’t have a single clue that lo and behold, uses CGI. This is an "I did all my own stunts" crap but coming from a director instead of an actor.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nolan said that there was no CGI on his film. He is lying and not accurate about this. And I give him too much credit that he’s ignorant about this either. Like I’ve said, he is full of shit on this particular matter, and he truly doesn’t need this kind of stunt to get people hyped on his films. Tenet had CGI. Oppenheimer has CGI. CGI is literally everywhere when it comes to major productions, even on films we don’t have a single clue that lo and behold, uses CGI. This is an "I did all my own stunts" crap but coming from a director instead of an actor.

No, he didn’t. He said it has no CGI shots, not that there is no CGI period. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

No, he didn’t. He said it has no CGI shots, not that there is no CGI period. 

Like I’ve said, "The Turn", the second act of a magic trick prior to The Prestige. People want to be fooled. Nolan has enough clout to say this shit and most people will believe him at face value, when it’s actually not accurate for anyone with some knowledge of how VFX and CGI "shots" work. Not having "CGI shots" not meaning "no CGI period" is an interesting use of mental gymnastics. There is CGI shots on his films. He wouldn’t be able to pull off any of his films without CGI shots made by VFX studios that work for him. There is a lot of stigma around the use of CGI, and a lot of mystique around Nolan going "analogue". It’s a magic trick, it doesn’t look cute when it’s at cost of acknowledging the work of people that did work on his films, neither to the whole VFX community as a whole. They are an important piece of filmmaking these days, and being sincere about the creative process is a good thing.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve said, "The Turn", the second act of a magic trick prior to The Prestige. People want to be fooled. Nolan has enough clout to say this shit and most people will believe him at face value, when it’s actually not accurate for anyone with some knowledge of how VFX and CGI "shots" work. Not having "CGI shots" not meaning "no CGI period" is an interesting use of mental gymnastics. There is CGI shots on his films. He wouldn’t be able to pull off any of his films without CGI shots made by VFX studios that work for him. There is a lot of stigma around the use of CGI, and a lot of mystique around Nolan going "analogue". It’s a magic trick, it doesn’t look cute when it’s at cost of acknowledging the work of people that did work on his films, neither to the whole VFX community as a whole. They are an important piece of filmmaking these days, and being sincere about the creative process is a good thing.

It really sounds like you’re desperate to look for a reason to be mad here. Nolan was asked a question about how many CGI shots are in the movie, and he gave an answer. If you want to claim that VFX shots and CGI shots are the same thing, then practically every scene in every modern movie is a CGI shot by that logic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

It really sounds like you’re desperate to look for a reason to be mad here. Nolan was asked a question about how many CGI shots are in the movie, and he gave an answer. If you want to claim that VFX shots and CGI shots are the same thing, then practically every scene in every modern movie is a CGI shot by that logic. 

I’m not mad. I’m calling out Nolan on his bullshit. I follow several VFX people and they have been discussing this today. It’s not true, Nolan is lying, I’m still very much hyped for this film, but the claim that Oppenheimer has "zero CGI shots" is factually wrong, like several VFX artists would tell you. I love Nolan like I love Jesus. I’m not to blame if both their fandoms mostly suck.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not mad. I’m calling out Nolan on his bullshit. I follow several VFX people and they have been discussing this today. It’s not true, Nolan is lying, I’m still very much hyped for this film, but the claim that Oppenheimer has "zero CGI shots" is factually wrong, like several VFX artists would tell you. I love Nolan like I love Jesus. I’m not to blame if both their fandoms mostly suck.

What bullshit? Again, he was asked how many CGI shots are in the movie, not how much CGI is in it. By your logic, the only honest answer would’ve been for him to say that every shot in the movie is CGI. 

“No CGI shots” simply means that every shot in the movie was filmed in front of a camera, rather than made with a computer. The CGI is simply used to clean up/enhance the scenes.  

Anyway, that’s the last I’ll say, since I have the feeling this topic is at risk of going off the rails.