MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

34 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Some reactions are starting to pop up on Letterboxd. Curiously some mid reviews

Nolan does some stuff in his movies that will never get 100% approval from the audience. The sound design alone is going to turn off some folks. And he usually messes around with structure in a way that might be off-putting for some folks. This movie is also very long, which can be off-putting by itself. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Seeing it in 70mm in 11 hours 😰

Will be interesting to see your reactions since I know you didn't like Tenet and generally down on his more recent output. Despite the many raves, I'm more curious how this stands among his more recent work vs his older stuff (Prestige, Memento), knowing this is an adaptation and likely to be more character focused.

Would also help to know more about sound mixing this time around vs other films.

Edited by MrPink

11 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Basically RDJ and Cillian both performed extremely well...that's what I derived from these reviews.

I am curious about Gary Oldman as Truman myself.

And now RDJ will be joining the Chris Nolan Summer Stock Company of actors?

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Will be interesting to see your reactions since I know you didn't like Tenet and generally down on his more recent output. Despite the many raves, I'm more curious how this stands among his more recent work vs his older stuff (Prestige, Memento), knowing this is an adaptation and likely to be more character focused.

Would also help to know more about sound mixing this time around vs other films.

I will say Dunkirk is probably my favorite Nolan movie alongside The Prestige (former for the filmmaking, latter for the storytelling). My dream would be to see Oppenheimer marry the two. Tenet was basically a collection of all my least favorite Nolanisms and felt like such a weird pause in his career trajectory. Interstellar is good but letdown by trying to explain all its ideas with endless dialogue so it made sense to follow it with Dunkirk where Nolan cut the dialogue out and relied entirely on his skills as a visual storyteller. Tenet then for some reason reversed the course and tripled down on the same issues but still kept the lack of characters from Dunkirk. But I did feel like something was off about Tenet from the moment the trailer dropped, it always looked like a parody of a Nolan movie - while with Oppenheimer I've been all aboard since the moment it was announced what the project was. Character focused storytelling! This is the right trajectory following Dunkirk.

2 hours to go!

• Like 3

It's a great movie, and a lot to take in. I'm not entirely sure if I loved it - it's possible but not a certainty. Obviously it's technically perfect but it's also got the best roster of performances in Nolan's career. Large chunks of the movie operates like a neverending montage which often works really well for Nolan's intentions but can also leave you wishing certain scenes and characters had more room to breathe.

Everything surrounding the actual explosion is masterful stuff and breathtaking to watch, and the ending hits like a motherfucker.

Florence Pugh's role in this is basically non existent to the point where I wonder if she sometimes forgets she's even in this.

But yeah, a lot of stuff in this movie; see it on the biggest screen you can.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's a great movie, and a lot to take in. I'm not entirely sure if I loved it - it's possible but not a certainty. Obviously it's technically perfect but it's also got the best roster of performances in Nolan's career. Large chunks of the movie operates like a neverending montage which often works really well for Nolan's intentions but can also leave you wishing certain scenes and characters had more room to breathe.

Everything surrounding the actual explosion is masterful stuff and breathtaking to watch, and the ending hits like a motherfucker.

Florence Pugh's role in this is basically non existent to the point where I wonder if she sometimes forgets she's even in this.

Thanks for sharing! I will admit, I'm a huge Nolan fan but I almost never immediately "love" his movies right after finishing the first viewing. They are always so much to take in and process, and I often find that I fall in love with them only after seeing them a few times. Do you think that's kinda what's going on with this one as well? Also, any thoughts on the reviewers who said the last hour was boring? Not asking for specifics (I wanna know as little as possible before watching this).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

just want to ask about the rewatchability of this compare to other nolan movies ? and also if there is any other nolan movies that people might remind of after watching this ?