PanaMovie

THE BATMAN OS THREAD - 745M WW so far

20 hours ago, peludo said:

Spain

I am tracking presales in the biggest theater of the country. I do not have too many movies to compare to. The most similar film I have data is FFH, which opened to €3.8m ($4.3m with current ER) in 2019.

Presales are 25% ahead of FFH at the same point, so The Batman would open to about $5m OW, maybe a bit more. That would be really good for a SH film.

An even better data is that ratio of tickets sold on Saturday or Sunday relative to whole weekend is higher for The Batman than for FFH. It could mean to be less frontloaded and... maybe better legs?

FFH

Friday: 70%

Saturday: 23%

Sunday: 7%

The Batman

Friday: 57%

Saturday: 30%

Sunday: 13%

Presales 32% ahead of FFH at the same point. That would give a €5m OW. Really huge.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, peludo said:

Presales 32% ahead of FFH at the same point. That would give a €5m OW. Really huge.

This movie release today in Spain right ? How good any early audience review in there movie site ?

1 hour ago, RJ55 said:

This movie release today in Spain right ? How good any early audience review in there movie site ?

No, it will be released tomorrow. Very few films are released before Friday here.

The main movies site in Spanish, www.filmaffinity.com, has a 7.8 score for The Batman, but as happens on iMDB or other similar sites, the first scores are irrelevant because of hardcore fans. It only has 145 votes. Just to compare, TDK has over 150k votes. We have to wait. Said this and for reference, anything over 7.0 on that site is really good.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

Terribe run in Korea

Seems Asia market won't help 

big.

Let's see. I understand that the opening day was a holiday in Korea though, hence the big drop on the 2nd day, plus Korea is having one of its worst weeks of COVID.

Situation may differ from country to country, but to be fair - Some Asian markets have less sophisticated tastes hence may not appreciate this film.

4 hours ago, MG10 said:

At this point I'd say it will gross 70/80M at max in China, 100M is probably a dream

Depends on Maoyan score, Above 9.0 then 100m is very very possible. First Superhero film there in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

The Lowest prediction:

EMEA:200m

China:50m

Rest of Asia:40m

Latin:40m

DOM:300m

Australia+New Zealand:25m

Total:$655m

The Max Prediction

EMEA:250m

China:80m

Rest of Asia:70m

Latin:70m

DOM:350m

Australia+New Zealand:30m

Total:$850m

Edited by Bruce

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Let's see. I understand that the opening day was a holiday in Korea though, hence the big drop on the 2nd day, plus Korea is having one of its worst weeks of COVID.

Situation may differ from country to country, but to be fair - Some Asian markets have less sophisticated tastes hence may not appreciate this film.

Depends on Maoyan score, Above 9.0 then 100m is very very possible. First Superhero film there in a long time.

Perhaps they lack the brains to properly understand the movie? Or perhaps the movie is for adults and they are all children?

How fucking insulting and pretentious!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Even though TDKR was big at Indian BO, the first Batman film to do big, it was still major cities phenomenon. I guess it was more Western appealing and hence did well with only English speaking audience.

Joker WB didn't even bother dubbing and it did $11M+ here, not much less than Captain Marvel.

I think that may be the case elsewhere in Asia. Marvel has made more universal movies over the year while DC sort of leaned West, barring Aquaman & Aquaman did very well in this part of the world.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Perhaps they lack the brains to properly understand the movie? Or perhaps the movie is for adults and they are all children?

It has the same energy as the "To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty" meme.

Maybe they just found it boring, even the good reviews touch how looong it was, lenght would not be a common issue on reviews if it was all out entertaining for 3 hours.

3 hours ago, Bruce said:

The Lowest prediction:

EMEA:200m

China:50m

Rest of Asia:40m

Latin:40m

DOM:300m

Australia+New Zealand:25m

Total:$655m

The Max Prediction

EMEA:250m

China:80m

Rest of Asia:70m

Latin:70m

DOM:350m

Australia+New Zealand:30m

Total:$850m

Rest of Asia with 40m is a bit too little imo. SK probably finish 10-12. Japan 12. SEA with at least 17m. I don't even count India, Taiwan and Hongkong yet.

Agrew with EMEA, DOM and Australia+New Zealand. While Latin America no way it only get just 40m total. Mexico at least 20-25 and Brazil also probably  20-25. Already cover those number.

Edited by RJ55

31 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

No no… that was not what I meant.

Maybe what I said came across the wrong way, and I apologise for that if that is the case.

I am in Singapore so what I said is also referencing people around me; so I do not mean it as an insult.

in 2008, the highest grossing film here in Singapore was Kungfu Panda, while in many other countries - it was The Dark Knight. Even the Amazing Spiderman did similar numbers as Dark Knight rises here. Transformers also did very well here.

Tricky thing is that people here sometimes prefer movies that are popcorn flicks more than movies than requires a lot of thinking and understanding. There is also the language barrier, English may not be the first language for many countries in Asia and action translates better compared to deeper plots.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

No no… that was not what I meant.

Maybe what I said came across the wrong way, and I apologise for that if that is the case.

I am in Singapore so what I said is also referencing people around me; so I do not mean it as an insult.

in 2008, the highest grossing film here in Singapore was Kungfu Panda, while in many other countries - it was The Dark Knight. Even the Amazing Spiderman did similar numbers as Dark Knight rises here. Transformers also did very well here.

Tricky thing is that people here sometimes prefer movies that are popcorn flicks more than movies than requires a lot of thinking and understanding. There is also the language barrier, English may not be the first language for many countries in Asia and action translates better compared to deeper plots.

Kind of agree with this. You probably worded it wrong but in Indonesia people also have around the same kind of taste. Also translation is horrible sometimes like in the Batman. In fact Batman audience response isnt that bad. A bit higher than Joker, but probably has less rewatchable value. 

Biggest factor though is Covid restrictions that limit mall attendace and theatre capacity .If situation is normal,The Batman will easily get $15-20m OW in SEA alone.

Edited by RJ55
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RJ55 said:

Rest of Asia with 40m is a bit too little imo. SK probably finish 10-12. Japan 12. SEA with at least 17m. I don't even count India, Taiwan and Hongkong yet.

Agrew with EMEA, DOM and Australia+New Zealand. While Latin America no way it only get just 40m total. Mexico at least 20-25 and Brazil also probably  20-25. Already cover those number.

You should see my max perdiction 

• Thanks 1