Eric S'ennui

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Given that a high number of the tentpoles scheduled for Summer '24 (or all of them?) are almost 100% certain to not make their current dates, I don't think there would be any harm in claiming a summer release for this if this is really on the move. We'll know over the next few weeks (though even if the strike ends by October, I imagine they would want prioritize the Wonka press tour so that Chalamet doesn't have to work overtime selling two movies from the same studio on such short notice).

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Given that a high number of the tentpoles scheduled for Summer '24 (or all of them?) are almost 100% certain to not make their current dates, I don't think there would be any harm in claiming a summer release for this if this is really on the move. We'll know over the next few weeks (though even if the strike ends by October, I imagine they would want prioritize the Wonka press tour so that Chalamet doesn't have to work overtime selling two movies from the same studio on such short notice).

See, now I think they'd move Wonka b/c they have too many Christmas releases, and 2 are musicals after a 3rd Christmas musical from Sony in November.  I could see Wonka claiming Memorial Day and trying for a long summer run...

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think that's why MGM delayed Challengers to April because Zendaya is crucial to the marketing. 

Dune in the summer isn't a bad idea and indeed if Oppenheimer can make money in the summer, so can Dune.

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, now I think they'd move Wonka b/c they have too many Christmas releases, and 2 are musicals after a 3rd Christmas musical from Sony in November.  I could see Wonka claiming Memorial Day and trying for a long summer run...

I can't picture Wonka as a summer release given how wintry it looks lol. Pretty sure WB realized it the moment they moved it from a spring release to a Christmas one.

32 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Moving Wonka from Christmas to Memorial Day doesn’t make any sense IMO. It’s winter themed and seems like a perfect fit for a December release. Would seem out of place in the summer. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Squire said:

Moving Wonka from Christmas to Memorial Day doesn’t make any sense IMO. It’s winter themed and seems like a perfect fit for a December release. Would seem out of place in the summer. 

Then Christmas 2024, since that should be an open zone from the wave of delays.

Wonka is gonna need Chamelet to market it - all the song and dance and fun.  Dune will not - it stands on its 1st edition and as a closure.

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Wonka is gonna need Chamelet to market it - all the song and dance and fun.  Dune will not - it stands on its 1st edition and as a closure.

Delaying a movie that already has a trailer by an entire year? That doesn’t sound like a great idea. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

lol yeah right, they're not sitting on a movie that is certainly close to finished and is already being heavily marketed (the trailer is attached with Barbie) for almost a year (fun fact: of the four big Q4 WB titles, Dune has had the quickest turnaround of them all - it began filming the same month The Color Purple finished principal photography and when Aquaman 2 and Wonka were well into post). Also that movie is likely locked in for a bunch of tie-in deals through chocolate companies that would be a nightmare to push back that will do the majority of the work in getting awareness out there for its main target audience anyway. Doubt this has a bunch of similar deals in place that would cause headaches for the studio (hence why it's being rumored to move the most out of all these movies), Part One didn't even if some merch arrived around the time of its original December '20 release date.

Edited by filmlover

If I were a betting man, I’d say Wonka is more likely to stay put than Dune. I think it has stronger IP recognition at this point and relies less on the cast and more on the general interest in the IP. 

Edited by Squire
Typo

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I've seen Quorum pop up a bit lately, are they new? More importantly how accurate have they been?

Best Analysis I’ve seen so far of their reliability.

They supposedly track movies the way studios do. 

That said, from what I can tell, they’ve been hit or miss this summer. For example, I’m pretty sure The Flash and Indy 5 were tracking better than Barbie and Oppenheimer at one point. And, until about 2 weeks prior to Barbeinheimer coming out, the numbers for those two movies weren’t great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

https://x.com/cryptic4kqual/status/1690716314162057216?s=46&t=avw9CnW4tFdBxUcRf1cmww

current (not final) runtime is at 2hrs 45mins, 8 of which is towards credits. this guy has been pretty reliable with trailers and runtimes lately.

Could be legit. Any runtime between 2:40 and 3:00 seems reasonable to me, though, as the expected runtime.